PDA

View Full Version : Diff Whine - Making it quieter?

Golberg
12th April 2009, 10:40 PM
I have in my sprinter a standard S-series which has travelled 290,000k's and whines like no tomorrow. Its not locked, nor is it going to be but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to make it a little quieter, not after whisper quiet because that's not going to happen unless I get a new crown and pinion.

Just interested in whether or not anybody had some good oil mixtures or something of that order to make it better?

And I already know of the banana trick, I'm just after something which will last a little longer.

Another random interest question, I have read that some rt81 Corona's may have 3.7 ratio s series. Can anybody confirm?

sprint86
12th April 2009, 11:01 PM
hey mate i got huge diff wine too, but whats the bannana trick? im very curious lol?

Golberg
12th April 2009, 11:08 PM
Well as far as I'm aware you essentially throw a banana inside the diff housing and the added thickness of the banana will stop the diff from whining. Until the banana is so mashed up that it thins out, then the whine comes back.

Often used by dodgy used car dealers to shut the diff up for a short while before the car is sold.

sprint86
12th April 2009, 11:13 PM
hahahaha thats funny as lol, do u peel the banana first?

--Redwork--
12th April 2009, 11:17 PM
haha...

Why not try it peeled and if it don't work throw a hole one in there just for good measure. LOL

Don't know about any REAL cures Goldy... Though I have heard the banana skin one. Maybe something for myth busters to try out..
Can't really get much thicker oil than diff oil so I guess just spend up big on a replacement diff..

adam
12th April 2009, 11:18 PM
You're only supposed to put the banana peal in there as far as I know. So eat your bananas, don't let it go to waste. haha

Edit: Redwork beat me to it...

Simon-KE70
12th April 2009, 11:27 PM
lol

your diff is fucked.... its worn out... as in there is no cure.

the banana trick is complete BS too, its a myth thats been going around for years now.

sprint86
12th April 2009, 11:33 PM
yeah i dont really have faith in the bannana skin trick either lol!

--Redwork--
12th April 2009, 11:36 PM
If its fucked then it would hurt to try it then.. :)

Arch
13th April 2009, 12:02 AM
id recommend now is the time to go T series

however if you want to try something, id recommend Nulon G70, or Lucas Diff & gbox treatment.

both essentially thicken your diff oil, but at least its a product sold for the purpose rather than throwing random fruit in your diff :P

Simon-KE70
13th April 2009, 12:06 AM
lol fruity diff

--Redwork--
13th April 2009, 12:13 AM
throw in some vodka for some margaretas

trueno
13th April 2009, 12:19 AM
lol if the banana dosn't work why don't u try a avocado.it mite work better.

todd
13th April 2009, 12:23 AM
ever considered ear plugs/ear muffs?

ae86
13th April 2009, 05:53 AM
my diff whined it was cause of settings on cw&p, not sure wot my dads friend did exactly but he put it to maximum preload or w.e its rated by and it doesnt whine atall now

biggo
13th April 2009, 09:44 AM
belt it with a 4lb lumpy, if that doesnt wrok then yes i agree with simmo, it fucked

or if your poor try some grass, more organic

Rian
13th April 2009, 11:20 AM
ive heard of diffs making noise because of crown wheel and pinions rubbing incorrectly when they mesh because of them been in the rong spot via input out put bearings bieng worn?

pen15
13th April 2009, 11:30 AM
is there much float you can try tightening up the bolt at the front and there is this stuff that you can get from repco its like $15 that is super thick and will extend the life of diff and gearbox i just got it and it works a treat on my sorta loud gearbox

Jonny Rochester
13th April 2009, 11:48 AM
I tried the banana peal once and I think it did make a small difference.

The most effective thing you can do is add a lawyer of tar sound deadener the the floor on the rear, and add carpet. Then load the back of the car up as if you were going camping. Works well.

I was working at a dealership once, and there was a new Toyota they sold as stripped out racing spec with no sound deadener or carpet. It was called the Toyota TownAce. And a owner complained about diff whine from new.

marvis
13th April 2009, 12:25 PM
Turn up your CD Player and then there is no problem !

dion_jay
13th April 2009, 01:38 PM
does it only do it when it cruises at a steady speed??

if so just keep your foot flat and see how spongy the carpet is

Clinton
13th April 2009, 06:06 PM
^^^ boost cruising comment much?

a banana skin does work. if you just have a bog warmer do it. if you got an lsd or something thats half decent take it to a diff shop

ae71
13th April 2009, 07:33 PM
i had a slight box whine i put worn gearbox/diff treatment, cant hear it now, but i mostly sued it because 2nd gear syncro is completely farked!

it would be worth a shot, i brought a tube of it, could buy a bit bigger thing of it and use it in box and diff. the more you put in the more effective it is i think.... also the thickest gear oil available helps, i run thicker oil in my motor to reduce noise/leaking.