PDA

View Full Version : Group buy: 7AGE forged rods

merc-blue
22nd October 2007, 08:10 AM
G'day guys,
Anyone who has researched 7AGE builds will know the main issue with them is the big end of the rods are far to thin and rod bolts suck,
I have been talking to Spool Imports, who produce Spool rods, about doing a run of rods suited to 7age builds,
Anyone who hasnt heard of these rods they are a "budget" rod made in america(not tiwan or china liike other cheap rods), there machining is spot on accurate and the finish is great, the mass of people who use them agree they are far better than other rods available which cost up to 4 times as much.
At the moment the price is looking at roughly 550 a set (will probly be abit more once postage gets in)
I need names of people intrested, there is a minimum order to make it worth there while i need to fill these spots.

Regards
Rohan Hamer

Bustin_86
22nd October 2007, 11:50 AM
Great price on a rare product.

Worth buying even if you have to have them sitting around on the shelf for a while!

Delazy
22nd October 2007, 02:15 PM
spool rods are a great product and fucking awesome value for money.....

ke25 racer
22nd October 2007, 08:08 PM
count me in on a set. Let me know a firmer price if u get the numbers mate.

riojin
22nd October 2007, 10:19 PM
ill have to check back when you will be expecting on getting these to see if ill have the cash.... rego is coming up.....

ae86hachiroku
22nd October 2007, 10:28 PM
just to help out, there is a possiblity of myself building one, so ill register some interest so put my name down for now

Felix
22nd October 2007, 11:34 PM
I'm currently running a 7age, and would be interested 'if' i blow my motor at all

i dont have a licence until dec anyway, but just showing some interest and being completly honest

dr1ft-pig
22nd October 2007, 11:36 PM
when are theese expected mate??? im tossing up between going 7age 20v or going 3sge.... i already have the 20v so this may be an option, i will also register interest

merc-blue
23rd October 2007, 07:54 AM
They will be ordered as soon as I have enough numbers,
So not sure when that is, other forums are yet to give me permission yet, and i would like to share the love

spoon
23rd October 2007, 11:15 AM
im interested...

cuzzo
23rd October 2007, 05:24 PM
interested

need to know final price once sorted.

merc-blue
24th October 2007, 12:40 PM
I can't see final price being more than 620 on your door (that being generious with shipping costs and rod cost)

How this will work once i have a thread up on toymods (waiting for permission)
I will have 2 or 3 weeks, at that stage price will be confirmed and numbers taken, spec of the rods will be available before putting a deposit on them.
Once deposits are taken (not sure of how much deposit you will need) they will start being made about 30-60 days lead time, will keep you posted on how there going,
Once they are all manufactorerd they final payments will be needed and you will get your rods.

Need a minimum of 5 sets to be ordered (i already have 3 or 4 sets confirmed)
If your not in with deposit intime you dont get a set made for you, simple enough, just becasue if we wait for every one who is 50/50 will be waiting till Xmas

dr1ft-pig
24th October 2007, 03:26 PM
let me know how much deposit is needed and when its needed, im pretty keen on a set

merc-blue
24th October 2007, 03:47 PM
Will do mate,

Delazy
24th October 2007, 04:15 PM
possible to get the normal 4age rods at a cheaper price as part of the group buy???

i know the 4age rods sell for $480 RRP

merc-blue
24th October 2007, 05:04 PM
No not possible,
The group buy is just to setup a run of 7A rods, there is no discounting, just making up numbers
If you dont want to spend 480 on a set of rods then you dont need them.
Prepping a set of late 4A rods would cost you more than that.

terryo
24th October 2007, 09:28 PM
that is a good price, but,...........
what size pins do you propose you making them for---18, 19 or 20mm?
will the shipment be coming to individuals or 1 person in australia?.
any allowance for freight insurance in your estimate?
does estimate allow for sea post, air post, FEDEX to the door, or what?
thanks

merc-blue
24th October 2007, 11:16 PM
20mm gudgeon,
As both 20 and 16V pistons come in 20mm,
Shippment will go to me than to people as final payment is made,
price allowance at 620 accounts for EVERYTHING, and everything being on the expensive side

from the day the order is finalised you will have rods on your door within 60 days max and a min of 30 days.

dr1ft-pig
24th October 2007, 11:39 PM
im hoping this takes a little while to take place as i got no cash for a good month at least

if this goes down at the right time im gonna be building me a tuff as 7age 20v hopefully somewhere round the 200hp mark

terryo
26th October 2007, 08:58 PM
THANKS, but can you fully answer the question. in particular, how are they coming (based on time, it could be either parcel express like FEDEX or air-post)??

can I also please ask who is taking out shipment insurance, you as buyer, or seller?

is the priced locked in at current US$ exchange rate, or will it go up & down with exch rate?

FYI, do not assume stock 20V or 16V pistons will just fit on & work. They are the wrong pin height. For example, when you fit a 20V head to 7A using 4AG flat-top pistons, you have to deck the block quite a lot to get the compression ratio correct. if you change the rod length fractionally , this is not necessary.

Cameron_Datto
27th October 2007, 09:50 AM
The talk so far is about rods for 7age NA engine . Are the Rods Good enough to Handle 30psi in a 7agte ?
Terry Iam guessing 4agze piston deck height needs to be looked aswell ,But is more in your favour being a bit lower for a forced induction engine .

vf24
27th October 2007, 12:44 PM
Dont get discouraged if cash does not roll in from this forum. I did a group buy for 4AGE Argo rods and sold 10 sets on e-bay and very few on the forums. Just need the leap of faith to put the money up yourself if it comes to that - good luck

ke25 racer
27th October 2007, 06:27 PM
im hoping this takes a little while to take place as i got no cash for a good month at least

if this goes down at the right time im gonna be building me a tuff as 7age 20v hopefully somewhere round the 200hp mark[/b]

you can get 200hp from a 4age 20v dude

Felix
27th October 2007, 07:16 PM
its all about torque (y)

dr1ft-pig
27th October 2007, 07:19 PM
yeah sure is, after driving felix's car i just want more torque, so are theese rods going to be the right length to throw 20v pistons on and have a good comp ratio??

terryo
27th October 2007, 07:23 PM
hanging the rods/pistons down the bore is not a good plan even on a ZE. you dont get the right squish effect to push the charge towards the plug. whislt this is a good price if the rods are good quality, I suggest there is a bit more investigation to get the best outcome. A stock length 7A rod really needs a special piston if you dont want to piss about with significant block machining. there is no sinlge piston that suits all applications of the 7A.

merc-blue
28th October 2007, 08:11 PM
As far as quality is concerned they are compared to other good quality brands like argo not cheap poor qulity brands like eagle,
Yes your STD 4age pistons will work, but as terry said if you are serious about the engine build you will need to do some other work with them,
I personaly am getting a set of arias pistons made to suit my application

dr1ft-pig
28th October 2007, 08:18 PM
would cost a mint to get custom pistons made wouldn't it????

merc-blue
29th October 2007, 07:08 AM
Custom forged arias are costing me around 600USD shipped

Ru-iki
1st January 2008, 11:17 AM
Id be keen for a set of custom 7age rods, if they allowed me to use my ae111 pistons in the build.