PDA

View Full Version : i'm confused about this falcon springs into an ADM AE86

choonga
22nd October 2007, 08:34 PM
Hey all

I've searched through and read a fair few threads on this subject. But i'm still clueless.

Can someone tell me.. Which model falcon springs fit into the ae86. And what goes where.. how much you can/need to chop?

Mate of mine has given me a set of koni springs from his EL falcon. But i'm not too sure if they will fit and if so.. does the rear springs go int he front or what?

Thanks all!

biggo
22nd October 2007, 08:41 PM
front and rear springs are the same on most Xx to Ax model falcons. Rates are different tho slightly.

Cut in half, invert and put in rear of 86 voila!

anastasios
23rd October 2007, 09:25 AM
dont use them, ive got them in my 70 and my brothers 71 and they are shit, just buy a proper rated spring

ke70dave
23rd October 2007, 10:29 AM
^^they are ok considereing you can get a full set from the wreckers for 40$ or less.

but dont even think about putting them in without short stroke/better shocks

it'll handle like crap...

v-tec
23rd October 2007, 01:26 PM
Yer all rebound and no bound is wak...

Get seirra rear shocks and something decnt for the front too. basically the setup i use, i hear alot of people saying use one half of a spring for the rear, but i really cant see that going down well. They need the proper flat tops to sit in correct or else they just wont work.

Not sure on model, but see if you can look at your current struts or some spare ones, get a measuring tape out and measure the seat and the spring hat, then go to a wreckers with those measurements. Just use what springs you can find will fit, i think El springs might fit, but just measure them first.

orange32
23rd October 2007, 02:34 PM
i have EA falcon springs in the rear of my ae71 mated to SW20 short stroke shocks. Never had a problem with them, still slides perfect. Good cheap upgrade but still dodgy, i don't plan to keep them in there long term.

-zac

Sparkle86
24th October 2007, 08:21 AM
i have EA falcon springs in the rear of my ae71 mated to SW20 short stroke shocks. Never had a problem with them, still slides perfect. Good cheap upgrade but still dodgy, i don't plan to keep them in there long term.

-zac[/b]

How do you have SW20 shocks in the rear of a 71?

biggo
24th October 2007, 08:39 AM
i want to know that too

seek
24th October 2007, 09:30 AM
sorry for the noob question; but grant, can you elaborate on "all rebound and no bound is wak." what does this mean?

as far as falcons go in the rear, i have them (with Gabriel shocks) and say for example i jack the car up, and have the car stands on the chassis rails , the wheels only drop a further 10mm at most. i also find going over even half large speed bumps, it feels like the rear got airborne, like it got thrown over it, there is absolutely no give (or absorption of bumps, if you like to put it that way, its rock solid)

is this good / bad? i personally dislike it as id rather a little bit of absorption to account for shitty roads etc etc

my shocks were cut in half, so their free height is 220mm.

anastasios
24th October 2007, 10:43 AM
of course its bad, i hope you mean your springs not your shocks were cut! ive got one au spring cut in half for the rear of my brothers car, yea its low and whatever but the ride is shit and thats with sierra rear shocks, maybe it does work if they are longer, but i think you should just get 6kg, it might still be harsh but alot better than no suspension travel

ke70dave
24th October 2007, 11:02 AM
hey sneaknsqueek, how long are the shocks you have in the rear?

sounds to me like they are just too short, did you have to compress the rear springs alot to get your shocks on? you want at least some movement in your rear, other wise its only good for driving on completely flat surfaces, ie a skating rink.

oh and btw.

bound = when the car hits a pothole, the wheels drop down into the pot hole, keeping the car relatively flat, and the tyres in contact with the road

rebound= when you hit a speed bump, you want the wheels to come up into the guards, once again keeping the car relatively flat, and the tyres in contact with the road

(i think i have them round the right way)

sounds to me like your all out of both of these :lol:

solution: longer springs, longer shocks!

seek
24th October 2007, 11:08 AM
yeh, sorry, i meant to say the falcon springs were cut 220mm, not the shocks (obviously)

ke70dave, ta for that... yes it seems clear i have none of this :P

yes, the springs were compressed to fit the shocks, unsure of shock length, but i can assure you they are short :)

i must admit though, it is pretty fun in the rain and whatnot, just for actually using the car to drive (not thrash) can get pretty annoying

ke70dave
24th October 2007, 11:18 AM
haha yer its prolly good for drift and all, cause the wheels never get a chance to grip onto the road, bouncing around to much :lol:

orange32
25th October 2007, 01:06 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=424208)

-zac[/b]

[/b]

Buggered if i know, the guy that originally built said that it is what he used... he may have been bullshitting me but hes not the kind of guy to lie for no reason...

v-tec
25th October 2007, 02:38 PM
Basically what i was saying was that if you have stiff arse springs every time you hit a bump if you dont have awesome shocks to counter this from thrusting you up itll go all over the place.

So with good short shocks and stiff springs it should come out alright, but with standard length the car will keep bumping to the full length of the stock shocks.

Sparkle86
26th October 2007, 03:49 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=424619)

-zac[/b]

[/b]

Buggered if i know, the guy that originally built said that it is what he used... he may have been bullshitting me but hes not the kind of guy to lie for no reason...
[/b]

Well any SW20 shocks simply wont fit the rear. Maybe he ment the front.

japlish
26th October 2007, 04:14 PM
^^ i think so too.
if people dont like using sierra shocks then have a look at peugeot 505 (sedan) rear shocks, they're in the back of MARKE70's ride at the moment. (i built it)