PDA

View Full Version : Bigort 4a-ge Intake Gasket

Konakid
30th October 2007, 02:49 PM
Hi.

Just need to vent....

I have been trying to order an intake gasket for my bigport. I am talking about the gasket that goes between the TVIS plate and the head (i.e. with 4 x oval port holes in it.)

My local repco only has an ae92 small-port item listed.

My local auto-one has two suppliers that list the same part number for ae82 and ae92 (i.e. smallport) 4a-ge gaskets. I ordered one anyway, and it turned out to be for a smallport.

I rang toyota and they say they can get one overnight, but I have to pay for it before I can order it. What a joke, for a $20 gasket.

I rang my local autopro and they have the same part number listed for ae82 and ae92, just like auto-one.

By principle I am annoyed with Toyota for wanting pre-order payment for a small value part. Its more frustrating because my mate works for another local toyota and normally gets parts straight away for me, but he's away on holidays at the moment.

Has anyone else had problems sourcing gaskets? I find this a joke, there seems to be a zillion twin cam ae82's buzzing around.

dr1ft-pig
30th October 2007, 02:52 PM
ae82 are bigport, they may have the same part number but if you request ae82 then u should get what u want

ae71
30th October 2007, 02:54 PM
dude, thats the same with quite a few place,

why are you worried about paying 20bucks for a gasket that you cant find anywhere else, you would pay it if you needed it bad enough :)

no i have not had any problems with getting normal/std gaskets.

RobertoX
30th October 2007, 03:33 PM
i got them $9.50 everyday

Fozz
30th October 2007, 03:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skit @ Oct 30 2007, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428140)</div>
I rang toyota and they say they can get one overnight, but I have to pay for it before I can order it. What a joke, for a $20 gasket.[/b]

r u serious why dont u just pay its only $20

Nikkojoe
30th October 2007, 04:30 PM
i payed $13 for my intake gasket kit (tvis, manifold and tb) overnight from local parts shop. Went to repco (and other simlar places) and they could not get them.....only ae92.

Also, i bet that toyota gasket is metal though, my gaskets were paper.....

skit
30th October 2007, 06:26 PM
To ae71 and Fozz - I never said $20 was too expensive.

I said that the "joke" was having to pre-pay for a $20 item before Toyota would order it in.

Pretty sure cost on them is around $8 mark. So Toyota appears to be worried about overstocking their inventory by $8 in case I don't actually pick it up. Sure it may be company policy, but geez thats going by the letter of the law.

Maybe the Toyota guy just didn't feel like being particularly helpful, who knows.

dr1ft-pig, I ordered a gasket from one supplier which had the same part number as ae92, but it was listed for an ae82 - and it turned out to be a small port gasket.

Dave, will PM you about getting one asap.

I'm sure it has only proven to be a problem because I am rushing to get things done. Murphy's Law or something?

ae71
30th October 2007, 06:52 PM
yeah im not sure i have ordered parts before without paying and i have had to pay as well...

supercheap auto require you to pay a deposit or order... i just went across the road any payed an extra 3 bucks and they had them instock. lol

skit
30th October 2007, 08:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae71 @ Oct 30 2007, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428374)</div>
yeah im not sure i have ordered parts before without paying and i have had to pay as well...

supercheap auto require you to pay a deposit or order... i just went across the road any payed an extra 3 bucks and they had them instock. lol[/b]

Yeah I can see why stores operate that way, it just turned out to be pretty inconvenient in this instance. I can't really get to Toyota when they're open given my work hours at the moment.

I only posted because I wondered if other people had similar issues tracking down gaskets. It seems not, though.

johnny_08
30th October 2007, 10:38 PM
would toyota really rip u off tho? if u need one i can go to a toyota near me cause the parts person is my mates mum

driftism
30th October 2007, 10:52 PM
The toyota ones should be a plastic coated metal gasket, which is what the original ones were, they last for ages if you use the right sealant. well worth the $20

skit
30th October 2007, 10:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnny_08 @ Oct 30 2007, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=428545)</div>
would toyota really rip u off tho? if u need one i can go to a toyota near me cause the parts person is my mates mum[/b]

Thanks Johnny,

I don't mind how much Toyota margins its gaskets at, they tend to be good quality anyhow. Everyone's out to make a quid, no surprise there.

I have hit Dave Lawson up for one, so I will see if he can post it to me tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer though, if I still have dramas I will give you a buzz.

roadsailing
30th October 2007, 11:00 PM
you know early AE92s were bigport right?

thats if i remember correctly, which i'm only about 60 percent sure on.

chapl
31st October 2007, 12:15 AM
just use some copper sealant