PDA

View Full Version : Manualising AE71 - strange problems...

archangel62
30th October 2007, 04:08 PM
Hey, quick intro, my names Eli/Archangel62, I'm new but I've searched, I know how it is from OzGem etc.

Anyway, somehow I ended up volunteering to manualise my mate's AE71 with the 4AC... And we're having some problems.

-Biggest problem, we swapped the pedal boxes after a LOT of swearing and anger, and about 10 hours working on that (why do they design it so it's too big to be put in or removed?)... But now with the new pedals in, the brake pedal doesn't reach far enough to push the "U" bit that actually applies the brakes. It will hit the floor, but not actually push the U bit. What the hell's going on? I mean, we could get some metal welded to the back of the pedal or something... But isn't there a stock part we could get that could do the job?

-Next biggest problem, as I was bolting up the starter motor off of the auto box, the bolts became tight-ish, but not tight enough. I thought it wasn't seated properly so I kept going, until I realised that the starter motor was cracking the other side of the bellhousing and beginning to come through! Don't ask me how the hell that happened. Are the starter motors different? Did I just do it up way too tight? Is it screwed now?

-Finally, the "manual tailshaft" provided by the previous owner slots in, but when bolted up all long the car, it's maybe 15-20mm too short at the gearbox. I mean, most of it slots in, but the shroud that's meant to stop dust going in doesn't even reach. Could it be like, a K series tailshaft or something? Does this matter? If it still holds oil in the gearbox we might just leave it and make our own little dust cover...

Any help will be much appreciated. What on earth's going on?

Javal
30th October 2007, 06:31 PM
This could probably be moved to tech questions.

Hang on, i'm writing a huge chunk on the conversion, give me a sec.

Firstly, sorry if i ask you some dumb shit, but you've got 1 post and i have no idea how much spanner time you've got behind you.

You'll want to source a Manual bellhousing (A motor to T Gearbox), i'm not sure if the auto ones are different, but i'd almost bet there are differences.

If you already have the bellhousing, then use the manual starter motor. Right part for the right job man.

Now for the other stuff i need some questions answered

Pedalbox:

Have you used an entire manual pedal box (from an AE71)? or have you just installed the clutch pedal / slave?

As for the Tailshaft:

It is quite possible that you have been provided with the wrong tailshaft, but then again you may not have been.

Is the standard Diff in the car?
(to help you identify it:
Borg-Warner = Removable inspection plate on the rear
S series = 8 Bolts at the front to remove the center
T Series = 10 Bolts at the front to remove the center)

Is the tailshaft seperable by unbolting it?

Answer these and i'll help you solve your problem.

driftism
30th October 2007, 08:20 PM
It's got an ADM T-50 in it... so it should fit up right.

after talking to the owner it sounds like you guys used the wrong bolts and snapped off one of the bosses on the bellhousing.

I have a feeling the tailshaft is the wrong one, and i think the pedal box came from a wagon, so this could be the source of the problem with that, although i would have thought they would be the same

archangel62
30th October 2007, 08:20 PM
it has a borg warner diff, as it has the plate on the back,
yes to replaceiing the whole pedal box, including brake and clutch
the tailshaft is one piece with a unijoint in the middle of it
4 bolts bolt it to the diff flange, and its about an inch short of the dust cover going onto the gearbox

the gearbox was supplied when the car was bought, it is a whole manual gearbox but we still used the starter that was on it bfor.

driftism
30th October 2007, 10:58 PM
does the centre bearing of the tailshaft bolt up to the floor and still fit up to the diff centre? if it does then the front of the tailshaft is too short.

also have you compared it to the auto tailshaft to see if there is a difference in length there...

pebbles
1st November 2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah, the centre bearing bolts up to the floor alright, so it is the front half that's too short. We did compare the tailshafts, the main difference we noticed was the gbox input shaft was a different diameter. We pretty much assumed that was the only thing that was supposed to be different and left it at that, I don't remember them being different lengths. Seems we've got a bit of a "mix and match" with parts here... I'm not overly worried about the crack in the bellhousing behind the starter, as long as we can find a starter that actually fits <_<...

What I really don't get is the brake pedal thing. Did the master cyls change from KE70 to AE71? Or pedalbox or something?

Edit: Oops, this is archangel62, grape_moosha hadn't logged out. And the last post by archangel62 was grape_moosha lol.