PDA

View Full Version : SOLID engine mounts.. d good or d bad

Paw-DK
31st October 2007, 07:25 AM
yo has anyone out there ever used solid engine mounts for there ae/ke
i heard it is very harsh to your chassis n general body
and that at idle your car has the potential to SHAKE haha

or does anyone know a really good aftermarket engine mount brand??

any help would b great
cheers vince

driftism
31st October 2007, 10:09 AM
if you have to drive your car anywhere other than round a racetrack they would suck majorly... would vibrate through the car something shocking

Monster
31st October 2007, 11:04 AM
Yep, even the TRD or Cusco counts are ment to be pretty full on.

Personally, I have a set of Spirits mounts coming from Japan, they sit the engine lower and further back than factory, but shouldn't be to harsh (I hope :()

Paw-DK
31st October 2007, 11:02 PM
hey thanks for d reply yo

would you know wer to buy a set of SPIRITS mounts and at what cost ??
was d trd/cusco a fully solid engine mount

wel my ride is a daily driven 86 wif stiff springs, fully stripped n a 5pt roll cage
would anyone recommend anything else??
any help wood b aiights as my mounts ar goone

Brenton 86
31st October 2007, 11:15 PM
PFFFT people talk them up, iv been running them for six months daily driven! For like the few days the vibrations were alil strange but most ppl dont even pick up on it till i tell them. Im running a non-padded fixedback so the vibrations give awesome engine feedback.

Sounds like you've got a mean setup as it is, so you'll bearly notice the downsides. If your running a 1.6 its not going to shake the car with stiff springs

Gilly
31st October 2007, 11:15 PM
poly mounts would be better

i am also looking to source a pair as my mounts are soft as and with the lumpy idle i have from running carbs the engine shakes harder then an epileptic at a rave.

apparantly Ford F truck (old) mounts work and there is a poly version F100 i think

should be able to look through a NOLTEC catalogue or something, i had them with my CA kit and they are the same design as 86 ones just poly bushed and nice and firm

let me know if you find something before i do or i will just make my own

Delazy
1st November 2007, 03:57 PM
if u want the spirit mounts i can get my hands on them easily enuff...would be slight wait tho

patience
1st November 2007, 05:01 PM
Sam_Q had the TRD ones in his car, but he didn't like the way they felt under decelleration, I'll let him explain it.
I'm getting the TRD ones, if I don't like them then I will put the standard ones back in.

If you have all the sound deadening etc stripped then I'd say it will be a tad noisier/harsher as well.

riceburner
1st November 2007, 08:24 PM
i was told i have trd mounts in the car when i bought it and it does seem loud and some of the vibrations are a little harsh at times, but its something thats easy to get used to.. im used to it, but when ppl get in my car for the 1st time they are horrified with the noises! ;)

rthy
1st November 2007, 09:35 PM
yes, as patience said I found I have a nasty vibration on de-acceleration with running just one TRD mount. But I need to make sure it is that exactly so I will try the other mount and see how it is.

Paw-DK
1st November 2007, 11:40 PM
kk soo there is solid, rubber OR polymounts (this one sounds hettick gilly =p)

bout the spirits mounts.. would you hav a link please (cant find it on the internet haha)
but noltec seems lyk they make good shit (cant find any from F100 but REPCO are sellin noltec parts so researchin)
n d TRD mounts (sam_Q if u see this, any feedback you wanna give.. real interested)

and i have 8kg coilover front n 6.5kg rear, would STIFF or SOLID engine mounts make d car that much harsher/more bumpy/bunnyhop
my 86 has jumped off its 4wheels TWICE driving over slight bumpy roads (landed was suprisingly smooth)
as for noise.. i have a straight thru pipe(no muffler) =NOT AN ISSUE haha

THANKS for the help people.. would love any feedback on any experience with your cars using different engine mounts,
d advantages n disadvantages blah blah blah
but in search of mounts that are longer lasting, aid in performance or better feel and dont want my car to have more NVH then it is now (i know you cant get d best out of all worlds and evryone has different opinion but HELPMEE to finally settle this lil topic yo!!

20Vince

rthy
2nd November 2007, 06:35 AM
if I get a chance I will install the second trd engine mount this weekend and I will see how it works out ok?

By the way even though they are rubber they are still stiff as anything

Paw-DK
2nd November 2007, 07:21 AM
HAHHA cheers 'sam_Q' (can i ask a quik question aswel ... how much wer d 2 'TRD' mounts)
man joinin d ae86dc is crazy stuff.. learnin is ENDLESS .. parts ar basically everywer
evryone is just soo helpful and kind lol
real APPRECIATED!!

i would like more info on those noltec POLYMOUNTS
its sounds like rely good material and technology
any info i can get il input aswel but youse ar too smart and experience HAHA

thanks 20Vince :D

Gilly
2nd November 2007, 09:43 AM
solid mounts are wak as. you will just shake your car to pieces

the poly mounts i had are in NSW now. i think i should have kept them :lol:

I'm sure if you went to fulcrum or whoever sells poly bushes etc they could swing you a catalogue and try finding pics that way. its a very simple mount that could be commonly used on a lot of cars so it shouldn't be too hard to find something to suit while saving $$ not buying JDM stuff that does the same job.

rthy
2nd November 2007, 02:42 PM
I bo9ught mine ages back and it was from a deal with a friend so the price is pretty irelevant. Check with greenline or one of our sponsors for a current price.

patience
2nd November 2007, 03:00 PM
For the TRD ones, you get two for $90-100, plus shipping. I got mine from greenline, great guys and very cheap pricing. If anything is not on their website email them and they can source them for you.

rthy
2nd November 2007, 11:38 PM
http://www.greenline.jp/

Gunner
4th November 2007, 09:56 AM
on my vl was running semi solid mounts. welded plates to the mounts as you would weh u make solid ones the cut 10mm strips out of the plates. welded in horizontal lpates into the slot so i ended up with a approx. 5mm gap. no vibration cruising or at idle and solid when revvind hard or heavy load. works well i liked it

rthy
5th November 2007, 10:08 AM
how long did you use it like that for?

also sorry guys I cant find my second TRD mount so I cant try it at this stage

Gunner
5th November 2007, 05:42 PM
well honestly i can't accurately say, but probally saw a good 3000ks of very hard driving (p plater, 250hp atw, r33 box, brass clutch, working on some of the quickest cars in the country, very bad mix lol)
it was just one of those ideas that u get sometimes. though when i stripped the car down to put it all in my vk passenger eng mount was fucked but it was probably a good 10-20 yr old mount.