PDA

View Full Version : rack spacers

flegburt
4th November 2007, 08:54 PM
hay guys just want to know how rack spacer work?

Iv been told they give u more steering lock on toe out when turning is this right?
This may seem bum but wouldn't putting a spacer in your rack give u more toe in on turns
because its making the rack longer?
Cause im putting some new rackends in my 70 prob tommorw an i was gonna make some
rack spacers up to go in there out of some old bush crush tubes! also dose anyone know how long to make
the spacers?

cheers steve

stefan
4th November 2007, 09:45 PM
just buy a screw in type lock spacer

much safer than slip on

the screw in type can slide theough lock to lock

it lengethns rack 1 inch

and give alot of lock

seek
4th November 2007, 10:11 PM
anyone keen on explaining in a somewhat detailed way on how to remove these rackends and install an ajps lock spacer?

DavisJD
4th November 2007, 10:25 PM
Sam_Q has done a right up on how to install them in his Members Ride thread.

Wasn't an AJPS one, but it should answer your questions on exactly what needs removing. It isn't a difficult job.

Javal
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seeknsqueek @ Nov 4 2007, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=431309)</div>
anyone keen on explaining in a somewhat detailed way on how to remove these rackends and install an ajps lock spacer?[/b]

Give me a few seconds, i've written one up before, i''ll try and dig it up / write another one.

Okay, can't find it, so here's the rundown from memory:

TOOLS REQUIRED:
Vicegrips
14mm spanner x2
17mm spanner
22mm spanner (or 24mm, can'r remember)
Pliers
Sidecutters

PARTS REQUIRED:
1 AJPS lock spacer
x2 New Rack ends (RECOMMENDED)
x2 New Tie rods (RECOMMENDED)

1- crack front wheel nuts
2- Put front of car up on jack stands, ensuring that you chock the rear wheels, apply handbrake etc.
3- Remove front wheels
4- Remove split pin and undo the nut securing the tie rod to the steering arm (do both sides)
5- Remove both tie rods (both sides if you are replacing rack ends)
6- Remove steering rack boots (both sides if you are replacing rack ends)
7- Bend back the locking washer ((both sides if you are replacing rack ends)
8- Remove Passenger side rack end (both sides if you are replacing rack ends)
9- Screw in lock spacer on the passenger side of the rack (these probably should have a locking washer on them too, not sure if the design has been updated yet)
10- Re-fit locking washer + Rack ends
11- Bend over locking tabs
12- Re-fit Tie rods (or install new ones)
13- Bolt up tie rods to steering arms, remember to install split pins (use new ones FFS)
14- Roughly center your steering wheel
15- Re-fit wheels, remove from jack stands, torque wheel nuts to specification
16- IMMEDIATELY GO AND GET A WHEEL ALIGNMENT
17- Properly center your steering wheel

THIS IS A ROUGH GUIDE FROM WHAT I REMEMBER, i'll leave Dave from AJPS to correct me.

Javal.

stefan
um remove rubebr boot passenger side

then ull see a ball joint and 2 flat sides just by the rack get a large spanner or shifter unscrew it

screw in lock spacer re screw in rack end

re align rack

new boot on then done

get wheel alignment and have more lock!

flegburt
4th November 2007, 10:45 PM
cheers guys very helpful how much is it to buy them scew in ones? dose anyone have AJPS phone number so
i can ring them an find out? (cant find there number on there site)

cheers steve

Javal
4th November 2007, 10:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flegburt @ Nov 4 2007, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=431346)</div>
cheers guys very helpful how much is it to buy them scew in ones? dose anyone have AJPS phone number so
i can ring them an find out? (cant find there number on there site)

cheers steve[/b]

They are $35 from memory, AJPS has an entire Subforum on this site, his details in a pinned thread.

Konakid
5th November 2007, 03:10 AM
^$65

Javal
5th November 2007, 03:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonaKid @ Nov 5 2007, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=431415)</div>
^$65[/b]

Orly?

i thought $35 was a wee bit too cheap...

rthy
5th November 2007, 11:56 AM
guys...

seems like old threads just get deleted onthis forum so heres a Toymods link if you have access. I can post it back on if wanted, anyway heres my link:

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18423

now theres two types as sujested earlier a slide on and a screw on. I went for a 6mm slide on and I love it, it helps me park and do U-turns heaps easier (seriously, thats what I bought them for). Also they are indeed from Dave at AJPS, the only parts from him on my whole car.

The slide on just spaces out the ball joins on the end of the steering rack while the bolt on bolts into the steering rack and the original ball joints bolt into that.

Heres how they work:

The steering lock that you feel isnt the steering box running out of teeth/hitting the end of the rach or something, its actually the ball joints that are bolted to the end of the rack hitting the steering box. If there is a spacer installed the diameter of the original rack then it will be able to move further in to the rack before the ball joints hit. Hard to explain in text, should I do a drawing?