PDA

View Full Version : carby 4age pros and cons

stefan
5th November 2007, 11:08 PM
im about to re shell and get a jdm coupe

i was thinking while the motor was out i might whack on some carbies

but what are the pros and cons of running carby vs quads?

what would be safer or give more power?

Jason
6th November 2007, 08:10 AM
Carbs are 'simpler' due to the fact they dont need a ECU, but require a bit more love in tunning aspect. They will breather better than a stock 4age (16v).
But EFI dosnt fall out of tune and if you put ITB it will breath just as well. Easier to run boost with EFI.

Carbs sound awsome. But good carbs will still set you back.

Safer.... um i guess EFI? Power, its up to the tune.

24 yr old Two door 86
6th November 2007, 10:41 PM
con.... finding a mechanic who can properly tune and synchronize them most mechanics have no idea with DCOE carbs

Gilly
6th November 2007, 10:52 PM
i've used both

i wouldn't switch from EFI to carbs unless i was running big cams and didn't want to fork out for an aftermarket ECU

EFI wins all day every day on a stockish 16v. carbs are cool but you pay through the ass for them and their required extras (linkages, manifolds etc)

i say if you have EFI stick with it, its not worth the expense, you could even call it a step backwards. end of the day they perform close to the same, carbs are awesome in the high RPM, Carbs slightly out breath the stock RWD mani. but EFI has good low down power as well as a good hi RPM performance. drivability wise EFI wins.

24 yr old Two door 86
6th November 2007, 10:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Nov 6 2007, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=432528)</div>
i've used both

i wouldn't switch from EFI to carbs unless i was running big cams and didn't want to fork out for an aftermarket ECU

EFI wins all day every day on a stockish 16v. carbs are cool but you pay through the ass for them and their required extras (linkages, manifolds etc)

i say if you have EFI stick with it, its not worth the expense, you could even call it a step backwards. end of the day they perform close to the same, carbs are awesome in the high RPM, Carbs slightly out breath the stock RWD mani. but EFI has good low down power as well as a good hi RPM performance. drivability wise EFI wins.[/b]

true that
trd ran webers because with high lift/duration cams Efi gets poor vacuum leading to idle probs which you don't get with carbs,carbs need to be specifically tuned for high rpm or midrange whilst efi is more daily driver friendly

stefan
6th November 2007, 11:02 PM
sweet cheers for the info dudes

slide86
7th November 2007, 12:29 AM
i wouldn't recommend them for eveyday dan

hard to tune correctly, and keep in tune for an everyday runner.......

id stick with EFI and aftermarket management to get the most outta it.

4A-GE Power
11th November 2007, 09:19 PM
Carbs FTW! Easy to tune, and you can do it yourself Lots of track guys in Japan are using Keihin Flatside FCR 41mm carbs rather then Webers or Mikunis, so they must give decent power.