PDA

View Full Version : mufflers vs resonators

meadan
6th November 2007, 06:16 PM
hey guys,

Im planning to redo part of the exhaust on my ke70 soon. I have some 2.5" stainless pipe coming which i can redo the rear half with.

At the moment it is a 2.5" system with a cat and one nicely sized resonator..on the back of a turbo by the way. I dont really mind the sound too much, but on longer drives it gets a bit loud with the lack of sound deadening and carpet.
I wouldn't mind toning it down a bit if its possible, not necessarily changing the sound, but just a little quieter.
I know a genie type muffler would make it quiet, but i dont want a big muffler, and they dont sound as good, and im avoiding a cannon because i cant find anything with a tip smaller than 4".

Would another smaller resonator after the diff make any difference at all? Theyre small and you cant really see them, which is what id prefer. Whats the difference between the resonator and straight through mufflers?

If not, does anyone know where to find small diameter bullet style mufflers? Ive considered a proper motorbike one, but theyre too expensive to experiment with.

Paw-DK
6th November 2007, 08:13 PM
have you ever heard of an 'exhaust control valve' (ECV) or a butterfly switch
i plan to put an ECV on my ride but can only find them in 2.5' or 3' (2 1/4 please)

and can anyone give a say on how much restriction a RESONATOR would give compared to a muffler? (power n flow wise)

biggo
7th November 2007, 01:47 PM
standard muffler? theyre pretty quite just cut out the 1 incher outlet and put some 2.5 in there for a tip.

Gilly
7th November 2007, 03:11 PM
in my experience mufflers reduce sound output whereas resonators reduce the harshness/raspiness.

resonators are straight through whereas mufflers can still be straight through or the wak "in one side, flow around out the other"

you need a muffler

now i'm exhausted after that explanation, a good lie down should muffle my complaints....

Javal
7th November 2007, 05:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Nov 7 2007, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=432833)</div>
now i'm exhausted after that explanation, a good lie down should muffle my complaints....[/b]
I see what joo did thar :lol:

Hen is a total nutcase
7th November 2007, 05:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Nov 7 2007, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=432833)</div>
now i'm exhausted after that explanation, a good lie down should muffle my complaints....[/b]
That has got to be the lamest gag I've read in a long time... are you in fact my dad in disguise Gilly? He's a master of such humour. :)

Hen

verm69
7th November 2007, 05:45 PM
i beg to differ... my dad is horrible.... especially with puns... but then i spent more time with my pop... he's the master... EVERY sentance he has something horrible to retort with :lol:

back on topic...

meadan
7th November 2007, 05:57 PM
lol that was one of the lamer things ive read today... :P

but i think i will get a straight through muffler put in place of the resonator. then if it still needs it, i can put a resonator towards the back, does it make much difference being towards the back?

i just want to keep the big ugly muffler out of sight, i mean theres no point getting stainless pipe if its not for bling :P (though it was basically free too)