PDA

View Full Version : ae86 4ac

Pitty
6th November 2007, 11:30 PM
im a fan of the adm 4ac ae86 i was just wondering does anyone have any info about the 4ac motors like watts the bad things about the 4ac and the good things?

slide86
7th November 2007, 12:26 AM
major generalisation.....

good cheap engine to maintain.

still capable of enough power to slide.

stong enough to take abuse when given.

i havent seen to many bad things with them, usually they are only replaced due to 4age upgrade

Fozz
7th November 2007, 08:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pitty @ Nov 6 2007, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=432560)</div>
im a fan of the adm 4ac ae86[/b]

http://www.club4ac.com

Pitty
7th November 2007, 07:59 PM
hey thanks both of you for those answers

riojin
7th November 2007, 08:21 PM
i thought that link woulda been bogus, but its real.....

Driftspec
7th November 2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah, sure enough there's enough of us crazy people around to make a club! Should join it one day though :)

4ACs provide plenty of fun while waiting for an engine conversion, upgrade the suspension to something more towards an acceptable drift setup and you can really enjoy it, possibly a one-way LSD if you can afford it. They are cheap to maintain, although being an older engine its best to service them a little more than most, anywhere between 5,000-10,000kms is best. Misely on fuel, can run on little oil, hard to break (although still possible ;) ), fairly torquey considering its low capacity. And its single overhead cam!

But, umm, just don't expect to accelerate quickly while driving uphill... or at all... :)

orange32
8th November 2007, 03:04 AM
its true, i lose speed going uphill regardless of gear or rpm.... well maybe not that bad, but i have to downshift a couple of times.

i still can't believe they have a 4ac club....

as said before, get your car setup for whatever you want it for, then enjoy it with a 4ac, then turf it and do a 4age conversion or whatever tickles your fancy, and you'll love the extra power (i'd imagine, not upto that stage yet).

redsprinter
8th November 2007, 10:13 PM
LOL..sometimes i wished i still had the 4ac .. .i feel like i never really got the most of it...

that 4ac club is interesting ... lots of info... after reading some of those thread i wish i knew about that site when i had my 4ac would of love to play around with it ....

Wanabe_Garage
10th November 2007, 08:40 PM
I miss my 4ac... it was trouble free! and didn't mind abuse...

ae71
10th November 2007, 10:05 PM
i have busted one 4ac and my second one is making noises (could be tapets, investiaging now)

i have had 1 problems, 1, fuel pump seals went and it was spewing fuel into the motor, mixing with the oul and washing the oil from bearings etc NOT GOOD.

2, had serious issues with fouling plugs, tried a hotter plugs, continually did it, upgraded the ignition, has only fould twice and when i put it under load it clear them.

my first motor, busted part of the rocker gear. where it bolts down to the head from memory so it was moving around so the valves weren't opening every far. lol

i have put a weber carb on and an exhaust, goes quite well, a nice power upgrade for the money.

Driftspec
10th November 2007, 10:29 PM
Other things I have found:

Let the engine warm up, everytime! Engine runs like a dog, until the oil starts circulating properly and it becomes smoother. Oh and remember to keep oil on the dipstick, as much as possible.

Umm, in other news I pulled the snorkel off the carby to try and increase the volume of air going into the engine. First impression: works well, I'll see if it makes an improvement overall over the next week :)