PDA

View Full Version : diff with crazy loud whine

wanabdrifta
11th November 2007, 12:40 PM
well i got my diff welded yesterday and drove on the freeway for about 2hrs straight after and then all of a sudden within 2 mins it went from silent to a fnk loud whineing grinding noise i pulled ofer checked it had oit yep it did i decided to change oil on the side of the m1 noise was still there i have been told by 1 person its my

-wheel bearings from pressure from the locker

another person its my gear box cos it only does it from 60km/h on and only in 3rd and 4th gears (4 speed box)

and another pesoon it is my pinnion wheel

please if u can help doo.

wanabdrifta
11th November 2007, 12:41 PM
oh car still drives fine no difference have drivin it since for about 3 or more hrs.

wanabdrifta
11th November 2007, 07:36 PM
any one?

orange32
11th November 2007, 08:01 PM
when you changed your oil, did it have lots of metal shavings in it?

my locker makes a pretty loud noise at certain rpm, speeds etc.

seek
11th November 2007, 08:03 PM
well can you go higher then 60kph in second gear?

to be honest i reckon its the pinion gear thats been warped or something.

it wont be the bearings as that theory would imply that the bearings would be providing resistance, and the locker has removed that resistance. the rotational force at that point would have no effect on the bearings, regarding the force the locker is applying to the axle.

wanabdrifta
11th November 2007, 08:13 PM
no no metal shavings and the noise is worst on 1/4 to half throttle there is no noise on no throttle and a little bit out full throttle and its gets worse the faster i go

orange32
11th November 2007, 08:16 PM
Sounds very similair to mine. As ryan said, you may have warped something from he welding, but if the cars drives fine then it should be ok. Mine has done this since i got it and I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.

Hen is a total nutcase
11th November 2007, 08:19 PM
My money's on crown and pinion issues. My diffs whine like pigs (yes, even the stock, open S series).

Turn the stereo up and ignore it. It may break one day, but then again you welded your diff so you'd have to expect that.

Hen

JDMJNKY
11th November 2007, 09:19 PM
has anyone got a banana skin??

Konakid
11th November 2007, 09:26 PM
Borg warner fruit salad!

Yep crown wheel is fucked, mine did exactly this, took it out for a t series after 20,000 kms of thrashing, still works fine.

slide86
11th November 2007, 09:53 PM
how did you go welding it?

spatter from welding can get on the crown or pinion, causing a hell of a racket.

but i agree with the others, the heat has distorted shit.

when you are on light throttle, its giving just the right amount of torque to put the pinion at the "sweet spot" and make the noise. my nissan junk daily does the same thing, light throttle on the freeway at 100km/h and there is a whine. go to half throttle and it goes away.

dirty_86
11th November 2007, 10:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (orangechargd86 @ Nov 11 2007, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=435199)</div>
has anyone got a banana skin??[/b]

done that=) quietens it down BUT GOD DAM IT F&*KING STINKS loL!..

puzzigully
11th November 2007, 10:28 PM
is it a borg warner? aka borg whiner..

70XIN
11th November 2007, 10:40 PM
diff whine was an optional extra for R31's from the factory

everyone chose it too, how strange

giggles

wanabdrifta
11th November 2007, 10:46 PM
whats this banana skin buisness

yes it is a borgwaner sailsbury diff

and this isnt just a normal whine it is a fuck off loud as fuck grinding noise that everyone on the road can hear

seek
11th November 2007, 10:56 PM
yeah im keen for info on the banana skins, ta

slide86
11th November 2007, 11:02 PM
if you put a banana skin in your diff, it actually makes it a little more quiet.

but in your case, sounds like there is something else going on. perhaps the crown wheel or pinion has lost a few teeth.

or

the side bearings are rooted and damaged the race

deanoo
12th November 2007, 12:08 AM
that noise is ur crown n pinion before they blow up or hey have already and is going to get worse happen to me lol

Blood Child
12th November 2007, 07:33 AM
similar noises going on in my diff. just drive it, but learn how to keep it quiet when you go past cops. keep in mind also that it WILL break sooner or later.