PDA

View Full Version : 4ac to 20v conversion in a ae86

1sik20valve
15th April 2009, 04:32 AM
hey pplz
im new to this website , i have recently found out y all u ppl go nuts over the wonderful corolla ae86 , i have recently purchased 1 (1985 adm ae86 ) and love to drive it .
i have a few questions for you people that have undergone the conversion of 1.6ltr 4ac carby motor to a 20v silvertop.
i have a friend that has a 20v silvertop spare and is willin to part out with it .
what are the main things you have to change for this conversion?

the silvertop came out of a fwd corolla seca .
Q1 can i use the same gearbox ive got on my car?
Q2 can i use the clutch and flywheel off the silvertop 20v ?
im planing of cuttin the fire wall 2 fit the dizzy .
Q3 what do i do about the fuel pumps and fuel issues etc ?
im buying mounts
Q4 do i need another exhaust from the motor?

im sure this topic has been covered b4 but im not sure how to search effectivly for it .
any answers , ideas thoughts and information for my new project would be greatly appreciated .
thanks pplz

xero
15th April 2009, 09:34 AM
Q1: yes. if by that you mean the T50 in the AE86.
Q2: yes. by no means cut the firewall at all. your smoking your boyfriends arsecrack if you do. you can buy dizzy re-mounting kits, or better yet run individual coils from a GZE instead of cutting the firewall. you will also need a programmable ECU if you like things like a speedo and working dash.
you will also need to do something about the water outlets at the back of the head. this has been covered many many many many many many many many many times before.
Q3: couple of options. get a bigger intank pump from a say a toyota avalon or walboro, bosch etc. or use a external pump like a bosch or VL commodore pump.
Q4: by this you mean exhaust manifold? if so then yes.. you can get a TRD copy manifold from kaizen garage for a good price that will fit.

there is a search button at the top if that helps.

LittleRedSpirit
15th April 2009, 10:35 AM
DO NOT BUTCHER THE FIREWALL.

There is no need to. Butcher the distributor instead. Run like a sack of doorknobs on a standard ecu anyhow.

Sam-Q
16th April 2009, 07:11 PM
as above, and whats your location?

1sik20valve
17th April 2009, 01:23 PM
im located in sydney
can anybody give me any direct links to ppl that have done the entire conversion?
also with engineering and defects , do the police hammer you when they see that motor in there ?

Sam-Q
17th April 2009, 03:12 PM
I have done the whole conversion, the link is in my signiture

1sik20valve
22nd April 2009, 02:27 PM
thanks for the help man
appreciate it

Jonny Rochester
22nd April 2009, 03:22 PM
Once you fit a relatively low profile blanking cover on the crank angle sensor (dizzy), one of the heater hoses just touches it, and makes it a little difficult to fit the clamp. I think it is RS-Chita that sell a little ~5mm spacer to put between the gearbox rubber mount and the gearbox crossmember. This tilts the motor for a few mm clearance. I'm not sure if I will bother or not.

LittleRedSpirit
22nd April 2009, 04:04 PM
Must be a bit tighter on an ae86, I have enough room in an AE71.

Sam-Q
22nd April 2009, 05:10 PM
well I have a 3mm gap but I went to the trouble of doing up all my clamps and also putting cable ties from the heater hoses to the metal lines on the firewall all in advance.

sonsta
23rd April 2009, 01:45 PM
you could pm me and offer me a price on a bolt in 20v conversion with microtec and individual coil packs and Kaizen garage rwd water cooling kit hehe

Sam-Q
23rd April 2009, 05:51 PM
does Kaizen still do rwd kits?