PDA

View Full Version : How hot does your 4age need to get and for how long till its OVERHEATING?

Wanabe_Garage
19th November 2007, 04:32 AM
Hey ae86dc

just wondering as the title states.

cheers

Jason
19th November 2007, 09:37 AM
Why dont you put what you want people to ask in the post?

Ie : Title > 4age over heating issued

Body : My car is over heating, what would be the cause. I am concerned.
ECT

Fozz
19th November 2007, 10:22 AM
Check the basics yet?

Radiator, clutch fan, hoses, water level

i had the same problem as you. i found out is was my clutch fan was routed

also does it only overheat in traffic or all the time?

Bobomacho
19th November 2007, 09:46 PM
i'd say anything over 3/4 is bad
depending age of engine, the gasket can blow at that, if ur lucky it can last 10 overheats. fix ur problem i reckon

quoccy
20th November 2007, 01:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bobomacho @ Nov 19 2007, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=439289)</div>
i'd say anything over 3/4 is bad
depending age of engine, the gasket can blow at that, if ur lucky it can last 10 overheats. fix ur problem i reckon[/b]

what would u know, its not like your a mechanic

SpotterOne
20th November 2007, 11:22 AM
often an overheating engine is a SYMPTOM of a blown head gasket, not the other way around (unless there is a coolant leak).

Take the radiator cap off and see if bubbles appear. Either that or take it to a radiator place where they will put a gauge on it which will tell you what it is most likely to be.

blair
20th November 2007, 11:32 AM
my guage for my 4ac

gets stuck on half way

so as far as im concerned.

its always running warm :P

Gunner
20th November 2007, 02:51 PM
anythin over 95 degrees is dangerous in any car, most cars run at 88-92 degree op temp. in my experience a few times over 115 ur in trouble tho i drove the ae111 with no water in it from parra to cambelltown and it was fine lol, didnt like it tho

seek
20th November 2007, 03:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (winslow @ Nov 20 2007, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=439498)</div>
my guage for my 4ac

gets stuck on half way

so as far as im concerned.

its always running warm :P[/b]

lol, mine doesnt go over 1/4 ... so in my case, its always nice and cool. yes, this also happends with constant thrashing.

Gunner
20th November 2007, 03:10 PM
as for checkin head gaskets get a tk tester, dont try and diagnose it thru bublles int he radiator often can be a false symptom, if unavailabe check for carbon or oil in the coolant or custard in ur sump or under oil cap mmmm custard. also excessive water comin out of the exhaust

rich_86
20th November 2007, 05:04 PM
had same thing in my mz21 and it was the radiator had a split in it n would jus slowly leak while driving until it jus go0t low on water then the heat came but and my headgasket was good not blown...maybe look at that

felixr78
20th November 2007, 08:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jason @ Nov 19 2007, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=438988)</div>
Why dont you put what you want people to ask in the post?

Ie : Title > 4age over heating issued

Body : My car is over heating, what would be the cause. I am concerned.
ECT[/b]

^^^^ Your a dick mate. My 4a doesn run over quarter barely even gets near it and i give it a fair hurting. Ive gotta fairley big fan though

Wanabe_Garage
22nd November 2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the replies guys....

OK for a more detailed explanation, (should have done it in the first post) here goes:

Firstly, My engine is a 20v, Im running an EWP with a thermo switch. Set to keep temps at 70deg-80deg
(I used to just have the pump on full but the engine was too cool and running on ecus cold map gives crap fuel economy and throttle response)
As you can see in these pics Ive done away with the water pump and made a custom bypass thing

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5765/dsc01532vv8.th.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01532vv8.jpg)

I read the the operating temps of a 4age is 82 deg to 90deg. Anyway, overheating problems did not come from a BHG but from electrical faults in the EWP wiring and bursted radiator hoses. From these I received readings of about 110degrees and 120degrees+ respectively from my temp gauge :crazy: :rant: I'm worried these things may cause a BHG

ATM I've checked for symptoms and i have none.... which gives me a little confidence in the 20v robustness

Basically I just wanted to know how much heat it can tolerate before the head warps etc etc... Just to give me piece of mind :2thumbs:

Bobomacho
22nd November 2007, 09:17 PM
it takes a fair bit of heat, but as a rule get ur head sent out and checked before you put it back on.

ask quoccy anyway, he works for toyota workshop. what would i know i just run one

Wanabe_Garage
22nd November 2007, 09:56 PM
Well a while back(last year I think) I thought I had a BHG on my 20v from just this type of thing being happen to it. I took the head off and took it to a shop and told me it was still straight and the gasket had still been sealing very well. got it machined and tested anyway and came up 100% ok.

Im not going to be too hasty this time...

quoccy ey?

seek
23rd November 2007, 12:36 AM
hey guys, sorry for the thread hijack, but its somewhat related...

my temp gauge on the dash cluster is questionable at best, and ive never seen it go above 1/4 temp... however i have driven the car 30 minute trips etc, and it doesnt overheat or anything...

also to note, whilst the temp gauge doesnt go over 1/4, it does actaully move, from zero to 1/4 and in between etc...

my question is: anyone care to take a guess as to whats to blame? im thinking my thermostat is stuck OPEN

if this is so? any bad effects that i should know?

ta guys

edit: engine is a 4ac

SpotterOne
23rd November 2007, 09:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seek @ Nov 23 2007, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=440986)</div>
hey guys, sorry for the thread hijack, but its somewhat related...

my temp gauge on the dash cluster is questionable at best, and ive never seen it go above 1/4 temp... however i have driven the car 30 minute trips etc, and it doesnt overheat or anything...

also to note, whilst the temp gauge doesnt go over 1/4, it does actaully move, from zero to 1/4 and in between etc...

my question is: anyone care to take a guess as to whats to blame? im thinking my thermostat is stuck OPEN

if this is so? any bad effects that i should know?

ta guys

edit: engine is a 4ac[/b]

Could be that the thermostat is stuck open, but if it never gets above 1/4, its more likely that the thermostat is MISSING.

seek
23rd November 2007, 01:35 PM
hmm, ill check...
anyone else got an opinion?

car is coming home to the sunshine coast in about 2hrs, i need to know :P

Wanabe_Garage
24th November 2007, 12:56 PM
Alot of people see to be proud that their engine stays below a quarter or a third of the guage but it actually has a bad side (I cant really talk my guage is going all the way ;) ) But it has a bad effect as well as parts need to reach a certain operating temps so all the engine components expand to the proper clearence

Im looking at you seek!