PDA

View Full Version : no compression

kaneo
23rd November 2007, 10:29 AM
hey all, i have a big port 4a-ge, it hasnt been running for a while (4months) and it seems the valves are sticking or something and i have no compression. the motor and cams turns over but there is fuck all copression. timing is sweet as.
anyone had this b4?
cheers all, need help

Bustin_86
23rd November 2007, 10:35 AM
Take it to a mechanic and ask them to tell you what in the fuck is going on, they have the tools to properly analyse what is going on and they can give you a accurate estimate on how much to fix etc.

Cost you like $60 if that.

Otherwise it could be stuff like rings, bhg, fucked out valves etc.

Gunner
23rd November 2007, 10:55 AM
yes theres many things it could be, best to let a mechanic look at it,at least they would be able to tell u where its goin

Bustin_86
23rd November 2007, 10:58 AM
Seriously mate, the moment im confused by my car i take it to my mechanic and let him look at it. Usually only costs me a 6 pack and he gives me a list of what is wrong and how i can fix it.

You cant go wrong. DIY is great but qualified help is priceless.

kaneo
23rd November 2007, 05:25 PM
yea probably will take the head off and get it serviced... 300$ later.... :(

Gunner
23rd November 2007, 07:41 PM
man get a leak down test done, no point pullin it apart blind

deanoo
23rd November 2007, 08:29 PM
yee take it to a mechanic and get a compression test done, mayb u done ur rings...

does it blow blue smoke when u giv it a hit???

Driftspec
23rd November 2007, 10:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bustin_86 @ Nov 23 2007, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=441119)</div>
Seriously mate, the moment im confused by my car i take it to my mechanic and let him look at it. Usually only costs me a 6 pack and he gives me a list of what is wrong and how i can fix it.

You cant go wrong. DIY is great but qualified help is priceless.[/b]

Best advice given. Ever.

Those guys know their shiz, use it to your advantage :)

Could be some damage to the head gasket, that happened to my 4AC in the past. But again, if you don't know or don't have the tools to do much about it, get a mechanic to at least diagnose it for you, so you know exactly whats going on :)

Benno
23rd November 2007, 10:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Nov 23 2007, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=441347)</div>
man get a leak down test done, no point pullin it apart blind[/b]
I'll side with gunbz-r
i'd recommend taking it for a leak-down test too before dismantling,
that way you can pinpoint your problem and get an idea of how much it'll cost you

LAZY
24th November 2007, 08:14 AM
You might want to check with the mechanic, no compression can also mean fuel issues.

But dont service the head, it might not be that.

Benno
24th November 2007, 08:37 AM
how can no compression be a fuel issue???
it's got nothing to do with it!

roady
24th November 2007, 09:21 AM
breno's right it has nothing to do with the fuel
what do u mean it has low compression did u put a gauge on it and tested it? if so what was the result?

write down a list of what the symptoms are. (eg, blue smoke out of the exhaust, overheating, running on 2-3 cly,)

most likely you have just blown a head gasket, but could be more then that

Jai

Gunner
24th November 2007, 09:34 AM
firstly how did u check it, if u havent checked it how did u come to that conclusion. has it dropped comp in every cylinder, if it has chances are its fried rings, if its in 1 or 2 cylinders most probably a headgasket.
if u tested did u use a good comp gauge, was it fitted correctly.

dont mean to make ya seem stupid but if u came to my shop sayin that thats what id say to ya but id wanna test it myself lol.
take it to a mechanic itd take a good one less than 10mins to find it, dont pull the head of thinkin that was the problem, if it has lost comp all the way thru, its almost most definately not ur headgasket, but if its one cylinder or two or three, it could be anythin from bent/stretched valves, cracked ring lands, melted pistons, warped cylinders, cracked head blown headgasket and the list goes on, get it diagnosed right then buy the parts u want to fix it right, instead of flying blind

kaneo
27th November 2007, 08:15 AM
The engine had been sitting for a fair few months. I have just installed it into my ae71 wagon and wired it all up.
When i turned the engine over (ECU disconnected) i noticed there was fuck all compression, or, the compression would come up to about 40kpa on the first compression stroke then it would just stay there, instead of rising to say, 110kpa.
I'm pretty sure the valves are sticking due to corrosion from the engine sitting around at ken streeter's yard :(
so the head's gonna come off and i'm gonna make sure it's sweet.

kaneo
27th November 2007, 08:23 AM
gunbz-r - i'm an auto electrician and have a mechanic here to help me out. I'm not blatently stupid :) i wouldn't have taken the head off without basically knowing what was going on, was just wondering if anybody else has had similar experiences with this problem and if they could fill me in.
cheers fellas.

Benno
27th November 2007, 08:26 AM
on an engine sitting for that long, valves stuck open is a probable cause, but to be sure(rather than just taking you best guess) get a leak down test.
a proper test is a little bit more in detail but put simply, jam some compressed air down the spark plug tube with the engine is on top-dead center and listen to where the air is comming out(oil cap, exhaust, inlet or radiator) it'll give you a fair idea of what's going wrong and where your compression is going too.

DRFTPG
27th November 2007, 08:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bustin_86 @ Nov 23 2007, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=441119)</div>

You cant go wrong. DIY is great but qualified help is priceless.[/b]

yeh DIY is great when you know exactly whats wrong, Mechanics dont do a 4 year apprenticeship for no reason

Gunner
27th November 2007, 10:34 AM
lol no worries dude, just dont like to se people go backwards, ive done it not fun lol. good luck dude