PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler question

maxhag
14th December 2007, 10:47 PM
hey,
Iam installing an oil cooler on my GTE, and i have DASH 10 lines and fittings. Coming from a duel outlet aftermarket oil filter sandwich plate.
I havent installed it yet, but the DASH 10 lines look pretty big. Will this affect the pressure of the low pressure oil system?

i know i should add about 1L more oil.........

All those speedflow fittings cost me a packet!

What are other people using?

J Riftin

Gilly
15th December 2007, 12:28 AM
Dash 10 seems to be the common size

my oil cooler setup uses Dash 10 also. I am yet to install it but have faith it will be o.k. worth installing a pressure guage in your sandwich plate (most have provisions for this) to keep a good eye on it.

I actually have a question that is sort of relevant.

when you have installed a thermostatic cooler and start the car for the first time, once it reaches the required temp for the thermostat to open there will obviously be a massive pressure drop whilst the pump fills the lines, i will be pre fillling the cooler as best i can but am concerned at the drop in pressure as the lines are quite long and as mentioned above the hose size isn't exactly small.

any way around this or is it a non event??

maxhag
15th December 2007, 12:51 AM
thats a good thought...... :unsure:

maxhag
15th December 2007, 12:53 AM
also,

Which way does the oil flow through the oil filter? ie. Does the oil go INTO the filter through the middle hole or is that the exit (back to the engine) hole?

Why i ask, is that iam thinking of mounting the oil cooler SIDE ON, and i dont want the oil working against gravity, ie Pushing up the cooler......

Any advice?

J Riftin

parrot
15th December 2007, 10:03 AM
Go here

http://www.thinkauto.com/

They are the oil cooling experts, and download the catalogue which has lots of tips about fitting issues.

Gilly, pre priming is a very good idea.

Think auto recommended -08 line for me. I am using pushfit fittings which made making your own hoses very simple.

For a 1600cc NA engine in Australian conditions they also recommended a 13 row cooler.

The filter take offs are designed so that oil enters the filter via the outside surface then returns through the middle, which is obviously how engines are designed also.

[attachment=19725:IM000493.JPG]

There is a metal bracket on the other side, not just zipties.

[attachment=19726:IM000450.JPG]

This is a remote filter set up. A thermostat take off plate is incorporated here ( the bit with lines going off to the right). There is a simple takeoff on the block.

maxhag
15th December 2007, 10:45 AM
is it not good to mount the cooler side on? Does it matter?

parrot
15th December 2007, 10:52 AM
Side on is fine, just not upside down as this could result in an airpocket which is difficult to bleed, not that you would know about it.

What is important is to try and have it mounted as close to your water radiator as possible, i.e. right up against it, to stop the air just going around the oil cooler rather than through it.

That is why having your cooler hanging off the bumper bar is a wank.

If you have no other choice, as with transmission or diff coolers on a race car, or if an intercooler has taken up all the space, well fine. Otherwise.......

I am sure a cooler mounted somewhere by itself will still cool the oil, but if you are going to go to all the trouble and expense, and it is easy enough to do, then why not.

Big T
15th December 2007, 05:39 PM
Gilly: Normally thermostat plates allow 10% of oil to still flow through when closed to avoid air pockets so id say just prime the engine a bit longer and it should be fine.

Eddie.

Gilly
15th December 2007, 09:14 PM
legend Eddie

i had thought there would be some oil pass through it, pays to check though!!

i'll just let it wind over for ages before i hook fuel and spark back to it :P