PDA

View Full Version : 20V crank timing pulley, cant get off

ke70dave
15th December 2007, 10:24 AM
hey guys

as stated, been pulling down my 20V bottom end for new bearings and rings.

got pistons and rods out all nice and easy,

but in my efforts at trying to get the timing gear pulley off the crank, i damaged it

i havent managed to get it off yet, but im going to buy a puller today.

this is what im trying to get off

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/160727.jpg

so basically im wondering if anyone knows if i can buy one of these brand new, and if so do they have a part number, or if not, where would i find one, and can a 16V one be used?

thanks guys

rthy
15th December 2007, 10:34 AM
there was a discussion about this previously and many people including myself beleived that it wasnt possible to get it off using a puller. One guy had a very creative idea of drilling a hole into it, tapping it and using a slide hammer, what a genius

ke70dave
15th December 2007, 10:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Dec 15 2007, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=452692)</div>
there was a discussion about this previously and many people including myself beleived that it wasnt possible to get it off using a puller. One guy had a very creative idea of drilling a hole into it, tapping it and using a slide hammer, what a genius[/b]

yer i have read different oppinions about it, some ppl say its possible, others say its not.

but i havent managed to get it off, so i thought its worth a shot!

might try heating it up with my flame thrower gas bottle thing,

kinda sucks as i was supposed to have the block in the machine shop yesterday, but this bloody thing stopped me.

rthy
15th December 2007, 10:44 AM
yeah just avoid 2 things:

- drilling through the pulley and hitting your water pump

- heating your crank too much

COS61AE86RACER
15th December 2007, 10:44 AM
undo the oil pump from the block and take the crank & oil pump to a work shop that has a press, put the backside of the oil pump on the press"bench" and then set it up to push on the nose of the crank (put something on the nose of the crank so it doesn't get marked up)

works a treat every time, does not need a lot of force at all

yes a 16v one will work fine

later
Chris O

ke70dave
15th December 2007, 10:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (COS61AE86RACER @ Dec 15 2007, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=452697)</div>
undo the oil pump from the block and take the crank & oil pump to a work shop that has a press, put the backside of the oil pump on the press"bench" and then set it up to push on the nose of the crank (put something on the nose of the crank so it doesn't get marked up)

works a treat every time, does not need a lot of force at all

yes a 16v one will work fine

later
Chris O[/b]

that was goin to be my next question, if i can take the crank out with the oil pump.

excellent mate, thanks for that, looks like ill just take the crank down with me with the block.

rthy
15th December 2007, 10:47 AM
sounds kinda scary to me, I think for the average person that might be ok but on my engine I have a broken keyway and I think my oil pump would be a bananna shape if I tried that one. You know I never would of thought of doing it that way

ke70dave
15th December 2007, 10:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Dec 15 2007, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=452700)</div>
sounds kinda scary to me, I think for the average person that might be ok but on my engine I have a broken keyway and I think my oil pump would be a bananna shape if I tried that one. You know I never would of thought of doing it that way[/b]

yer i did think of it, but didnt feel like buying a new oil pump and a new crank pulley....

COS61AE86RACER
15th December 2007, 10:55 AM
Not scary at all Sam, just sounds like it is ;-)

have done it numerous times on 16v, 20v & 7a

when you set it all up in the press id say there would be lucky to be 1k of force applied, all your really trying to do is overcome any of the growth / crap that has found its way between the crank / keyway & pulley

Chris O

rthy
15th December 2007, 11:00 AM
yeah fair enough, in that case sitting on the oil pump and hitting it with a mallet would probably even do it

COS61AE86RACER
15th December 2007, 11:09 AM
true but at least with a press you have some sort of control over what's happening

bashing stuff with a hammer is a little bit agricultural

rthy
15th December 2007, 11:22 AM
very true, however I use a mallet gently because I can feel how much pressure is being applied with a press you cant.

Anthony
15th December 2007, 02:26 PM
I will let you in on a secret straight from shino kouba workshop in japan.

You simply apply pressure behind the same way you did when you damaged the pulley
with a large flat blade etc. Then simply tap the end of the crank with a soft hammer.

You'll be surprised how easily it slips off bit by bit, especially with a little crc penetrant applied as well. You need stuff all pressure on the screwdriver (no where near damaging level) and it just walks off with the lightest taps... brilliant!

Oh, and I have genuine brand new crank pulleys too to replace yours once its off. $40 plus post :)

Anthony

ke70dave
15th December 2007, 05:28 PM
woah thanks for all the great reply's guys

i shall try all methods mentioned, untill i have success!

pm sent to anthony!

ke70dave
16th December 2007, 05:20 PM
ok all methods mentioned have failed

so now im trying to get the crank out with the oil pump attached, to take to machinist to get the stupid gear off

and this is failing to!!

i have all the crank bearing caps off, but i cant seem to monouver the crank in such a way as to get the oil pump past the locating pins on the front of the block.

how do you do it!?!?!!?

big boss
16th December 2007, 09:27 PM
best method i've used is drilling 2 holes into the pulley and tapping a thread, then a puller can be used making the job very easy. before you put on your new pulley, drill and tap them threads into it, just incase in the future you have to pull it off.

i use one like this
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/00112560.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
You simply apply pressure behind the same way you did when you damaged the pulley
with a large flat blade etc. Then simply tap the end of the crank with a soft hammer.

You'll be surprised how easily it slips off bit by bit, especially with a little crc penetrant applied as well. You need stuff all pressure on the screwdriver (no where near damaging level) and it just walks off with the lightest taps... brilliant![/b]
i've tried it this way too with good success, but then you get the REAL stubbon one. :(

Matt-AE86
17th December 2007, 09:38 AM
Is it just me or is he trying to get of the timing gear not the Crank pulley ? Look at his picture ?

rthy
17th December 2007, 10:18 AM
well if you are talking about the original poster then yes, thats what he said. If your refering to the pic just above then thats just an example pic, that sure as hell aint a Toyota A series engine of any kind

Corolla_Gurl
17th December 2007, 10:55 AM
Also, try levering it off with 2 screwdrivers, not just one. Walk it off.

Or you can use a puller that has knife edges that grap behind it.

Ru-iki
17th December 2007, 12:01 PM
Kaizens trick ftw. Should work, you may need pressure from 2 sides at the same time in fairly equal forces/direction. Unless youve mangled the crank or keyway on it somehow.

ke70dave
17th December 2007, 07:47 PM
thanks for the replys fellas

yer i did see that puller (feral4mr2) at supercheap, was like 30$

im putting the engine on a proper engine stand, and ill have another crank at levering it off

if not ill buy that puller and drill/tap some holes into it

the machine shop near me is closed for xmas...so i got plenty of time now!

Anthony
17th December 2007, 09:57 PM
I can only help from the experience Ive gained. Having dealt with many many a stubborn timing gear (thats why i have geniune ones on the shelf ;) ) I can say it will come off.

You need a very expensive puller to get behind it effectively, one worth more than the motor. So as Ruiki said try applying pressure both sides at once with two levers or scredrivers and tap the crank gently (youll need a second pair of hands obviously. make sure you've sprayed heaps of quality penetrant (inox - teflon crc etc). If that still doesnt work, heat the gear with one of those hobby gas torches, the ones jaycar sells for about $40 and runs on lighter gas. If you heat it long enough for the penetrant to bubble out from between the crank and gear, it will then come off with the above method.

Gambatte!

ke70dave
17th December 2007, 10:15 PM
hey man i sent you PM before, ill re-send it

and yer ill get it of eventually! just need some more time to play

i have a proper blow torch thing off my dad (for hard core soldering of 1cm thick cables) so ill give that a go i reckon

i got plenty of time now, machine shop closed for ages over xmas

Gunner
18th December 2007, 12:53 AM
failing those options and once your desperate, cold chisel big hammer and crack it off, but try your hardest not to do it

ke70dave
23rd December 2007, 06:46 PM
well i got it off!!!!

using the back end of a hammer, levered it off!

looks nice and pretty now.....

i got a puller onto it, and this is what happened...

moral to the story, use a large hammer....

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/161370.jpg