PDA

View Full Version : engineering motor for ae86

1sik20valve
17th April 2009, 10:20 PM
hey pplz
desperatly want to change the motor in my ae86
can sum1 tell me the legal steps to make the new motor legal?
like engineering and stuff .

its a bit of a job for the 20v conversion , would a ca18det be roughly the same work as the 20v conversion?
cause id rather go ca18det cause i got a bigger turbo for it already .

any help would be good
cheers guys

Hen may possibly be a nut
17th April 2009, 10:33 PM
1 - It helps if you add which state you are in.
2 - It is best to ring your state authorities and ask them. They are the ones who decide.
3 - If you're in Vic there is already a few threads covering this. Have a dig.

Hen

Javal
17th April 2009, 10:35 PM
Agreed with the above, also, decide what you actually want to do with the car / what you want to use it for, as a 20v and a CA don't really share the same characteristics and as such aren't really suited to the same applications, although they are used by various persons for pretty much everything.

1sik20valve
18th April 2009, 04:31 AM
located in sydney
the reason y im choosing out of the 2 motor , is cause the 20v is available whenever , and the ca18det i have alot of knowledge about .
if there both going to be relatively the same work puttin them inside the car , id rather go with the ca18det due to its more power and tuning capabilities.
any links with these kinds of discussions would be a great help
thanks again guys

StockAE86
18th April 2009, 08:18 PM
but if you go ca18 then your sign in name wont be right :-P

Bart
18th April 2009, 08:33 PM
Regarding legalities, both motor require engineer certificates. Check the link out and have a chat to who ever is closest to you about making it all legal. Thats what i did to make mine 100% legal.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_15_rev_16_4_nov_2008.pdf

ThatsHowWeRoll
18th April 2009, 08:39 PM
yep talk to an engineer....20 valve would most likey be easier to engineer....

Make sure brakes and other such thing are safe and sufficient for the power upgrade...and simple things like emissions, filter position etc....

Most engineers appreciate quality work and a repectful driver.

Golberg
19th April 2009, 07:59 PM
20 valve will definitely be easier to engineer. You could probably get away with JDM brakes and a 20 valve. You'll almost definitely need something more, brakes wise for a CA18DET conversion.

In any event its all hearsay, you need to actually talk to engineer and find out, every engineer will have different requirements as its all up to "their" judgement.

Tim.duncan
20th April 2009, 04:03 PM
i have had a 4agze enginered for my 86. im in sa, When i sent away for a "aplication to modify" the road worthy dudes sent back asking for
1. a lane change test
2. a chassis regidity test

both of these = MONEY! because you need to use a race track for the lane change test and a chassis testing machine.

My enginear just wrote them a letter explaining that even though the motor is now super charged it still is a "4A" motor so it should not effect the original design of the car (eg handeling) BUT if you wack a nissan motor in you will need to get these tests to prove that the car still works safely. So i would go with the 20v just for that fact.
Also whatever motor you put in has to be COMPLETELY stock.
my enginear told me about a guy who had a s13 sr20 and he put a s15 turbo on it (they are pretty much the same turbo)and they made him do a emissions test because of it and he failed cost him 500 bucks for the test!!
so stick with toyota makes life much easier

squish_m8
20th April 2009, 06:19 PM
you could always boost a 20v ...

it would be easier staying 4a, I know in SA you would be able to just change engine number at the rego office

dave2221
20th April 2009, 07:32 PM
intersting stuff

anyone have ballpark figure to engineer a 20v and the appropriate brake upgrade and coilovers....

i going to get it done in a few weeks and wondering what to expect

Tim.duncan
21st April 2009, 10:35 AM
In Sa height adjustable suspension (coilovers) are not allowed. the only way you can have them in your car is to weld the adjusting nuts...... which makes having coil overs useless. Just out of curiosity how many people on hear have coil overs? and if you do when you corner weighed your car were the weights pretty good to start with? did you move much weight around to get them better?
on the other topic they would probely at least like rear discs.
cost we 700 for the brakes and engine report from my enginear

1sik20valve
21st April 2009, 10:22 PM
thanx 4 all the info guys
any checklists i have 2 have wen goin 20v conversion
ie mounts -- $??
dizzy relocation kit $??
exhaust -- $??
extractors -- $ ??
anything else?

dave2221
21st April 2009, 10:30 PM
bugger dizzy relocator,

spend the extra money go aftermarket ecu and coils

you know your going to want the aftermarket ecu anyway for power, may as well do it right first time

ThatsHowWeRoll
22nd April 2009, 11:48 AM
as far as paying the engineer to check the car out and fill in the paper work....

It cost me $300 for everything...which is pretty good considering.

sonsta
22nd April 2009, 12:04 PM
im pretty sure in NSW its a flat $300 rate to get everything done

and getting a 20v will be much easier to do that a ca because you are still using an unmodified cross member and its not turboed.