PDA

View Full Version : What do i need to replace when changing the head on my 4ac?

choonga
23rd December 2007, 11:03 AM
Going to be changing the head on my 4ac tommorrow. What do i need? Head gasket... head studs.. what else?

Thans all

ke70dave
23rd December 2007, 11:11 AM
wouldn't worry about head studs

you might as well get a gasket kit, do the intake/exhaust while your at it.

thought about doing timing belt while your at it?

parrot
23rd December 2007, 11:12 AM
Buy a VRS set so you have all the gaskets. If you buy them individually and it will add up and the ones you forget you will be making out of cornflakes boxes..

Reuse your headbolts, change the oil and put new antifreeze in after you flush out your cooling system.

Edit: Dave is right about doing the timing belt at the same time

rich_86
23rd December 2007, 12:05 PM
prob water pump too jus too make sure...in\m rebuild my 16v head atm and relpacing most of the accilaires while im doin it so should be good wen its back together....

parrot
23rd December 2007, 03:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Dec 23 2007, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=456883)</div>
prob water pump too jus too make sure...in\m rebuild my 16v head atm and relpacing most of the accilaires while im doin it so should be good wen its back together....[/b]

Unless the bearing feels dodgy, I wouldn't bother

stefan
23rd December 2007, 04:23 PM
i did mine on daily other month all i changed was manny gaskit and head gaskit

that was all

and some silicone for rocker cover gaskit and few other bits n pieces

choonga
23rd December 2007, 06:50 PM
where can i get a "VRS" set from? Bursons? Repco? Supercheap? AJPS?

can i buy gaskets n such for 4ac's from other cars? They should be exactly the same right? Or not.

And shouldn't i change the stud/bolts because they would have stretched? or am i just over worrying?

In regards to all these vacuum lines and rubber hose all over the top of my 4ac. Where can i get a copy of the workshop manual or something so i know what is what? because i will be putting twin carbs on it and need to knwo which is fuel and what not.

Thanks all.

Clinton
23rd December 2007, 08:39 PM
you could buy a repair manual for an ae82 with the 4ac part in it. you can get all your gaskits from repco and if your head bolts with a tourque wrench they will be fine

parrot
23rd December 2007, 09:35 PM
The worksho manuals are stickied in tech docs. Repco charge a shitload for VRS kits, the 4AGE one was about $200 last time I enquired. I get mine from a guy in the UK now, better quality, heaps cheaper even including postage and it was here in a week.

Try AJPS, he may have a good deal for you. An AE82 one would be fine.