PDA

View Full Version : flip grill

rich_86
25th December 2007, 11:31 PM
wat model 86 did it come out off obviously levin but apparently does not line up with brackets any info will help cheers rich

Jonny Rochester
25th December 2007, 11:41 PM
Early model Levin GT-Apex.

rich_86
26th December 2007, 12:32 AM
so the grill does it clip to the headlight or rad supprt and how diff are teh early model lights to adm lights

Jonny Rochester
26th December 2007, 01:05 AM
Early lights = ADM lights
I am not sure about how it fits, but I can look it up.

rich_86
26th December 2007, 10:26 AM
would be great if you could find any pics at all tried looking thru google to no avail cheers

Jonny Rochester
26th December 2007, 11:22 AM
Normaly the verticle radiator support has a bracket welded to it that the middle of the ADM/GTV grille clips to. The Apex does not use that, you can grind it off. The headlights and any bracket that is part of the headlight is exactly the same between the regular Levins and the Apex. But if you are buying the flip grill, there are a few brackets that you hope would be included.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/6/69/AE86levin.jpg

parrot
26th December 2007, 06:29 PM
[attachment=20232:rotate_grille.gif]

Todd
26th December 2007, 08:01 PM
my brother bought one of these the other week and as sad above there is a bracket in the way that has to be ground off. other than that it lines up to a couple of holes but really only cable ties keep it in there all snug and sweet lookin.

id get him to throw some pictures up of the modded brackets/installation but unfortunately he is in melbourne.

but it is a relatively easy thing to do (took ten minutes or so with an angle grinder and cable ties) and looks the goods.

rich_86
26th December 2007, 11:36 PM
pics of the install would be great cheers rich

Todd
27th December 2007, 12:39 AM
i dont actualy have the pictures or the car myself because my brother lives at another house so sorry i cant put them up.
have u bought the grill yet? if you have i would say just open the bonnet and place it there and it will be fairly clear what bracket has to go.

on the adm grill there is a mounting hole at the top of the grill itself in the centre which connects to another bracket that stems up off of the rad support and also attatches to the front bar from memory.

obviously u cant take the whole bracket off as it supports the front bar, but u just have the ground off the upper part of the bracket that stems from the rad support just above where it joins to the rad support.

bad explanaition but i assure you its pretty easy.
result looks sweeet!

(ps this was on my brother jdm zenki levin coupe if that helps at all)

rich_86
27th December 2007, 01:34 AM
thsnks have not bought yet am keen on one as well foglights are getting to common good to be different...wen ever you get a chance pics would be great cheers

parrot
27th December 2007, 10:25 AM
They look crap in my opinion plus you have to run all the waterlines etc.

I wouldn't do it.

Todd
27th December 2007, 10:36 AM
have to run the waterlines?
im not sure about this although u may prove me wrong

i agree they are not for anyone but with all the hype around kouki grills w/foglights it cant hurt having a few more flip grills around the place.

i think its a good idea
il try get some pics but im not promising anything.

parrot
27th December 2007, 01:36 PM
The water temp is what actuates the grill to flip open I believe. Presumably wind will open it at speed too, but that won't happen in bumper to bumper traffic.

rich_86
27th December 2007, 08:24 PM
plan to run it off a different setup to open and close at

Todd
27th December 2007, 08:31 PM
the grill flip mechanism has a lock on it so u can keep it locked open or locked closed.

this avoids having to use the lines to hook it up although i guess it would be good to set up properly if u managed to get all the gear (lines, and the rest) to do it.

my brother got his with the grill alone and no other stuff. it works perfectly fine and as said above can be unlocked and left down then at high speed yes, it does open.

riojin
31st December 2007, 08:07 PM
just take the temp sensor switch out and you can wire up in its place a hard switch. i was planning on buying one of these and making it open as soon as the key is in the "on" position.