PDA

View Full Version : power steering ae86?

halo
26th December 2007, 09:07 AM
Hey all, love em but a bit of a newb to 86s, i was wondering... I know a few of you drift and I think it'd be difficult to do so without power steering or assistance of some sort. Does anyone know how to install power steering? Or how much it would cost to get the parts, and labour if I can't do the work or get someone to do it for free?

Many thanks...

us_ae86
26th December 2007, 09:16 AM
I have everything to convert the AE86 to power steering. The only problem however, it's left hand drive. Everything will work except for the steering rack. You will need to source a steering rack to suit RHD, and make some new lines. (easy) You will also need to shorten your steering column to suit the power rack.

shorty
26th December 2007, 09:26 AM
have u ever driven an 86?

theres no need as the handle really well :D

power steering = 1 extra thing to go wrong ;)

johl
26th December 2007, 09:34 AM
power steering wont make it easier to drift. only really makes a difference at low speeds (like parking and the like) ur not really doing much steering while sliding anyway as the car will turn the wheel for u so there is really no need to go out of ur way to install power steering

us_ae86
26th December 2007, 10:15 AM
I went from Power Steering and converted to Manual. I noticed VERY LITTLE difference.

Don't waste your time.

hachirusto
26th December 2007, 11:00 AM
If you want a powersteering rack super cheap can order them in , about $500 or so

anastasios
26th December 2007, 11:05 AM
you dont need one, havent u driven your 86 yet?

halo
26th December 2007, 06:21 PM
aha sorry boys was out for the day..

nope I have never driven an ae86

I'm in the market for a car, criteria was rwd manual non turbo 10k max, after eliminating mx83 cressida with supra box and later 1jz engine, falcon xr6 cos of weight and gas, and some others too I arrived at takumi's ride..

I have one lined up and have the money to buy it..

Reason I ask of power steering is that I drive dad's old maxima, mates probe, newer corollas etc ie. heaps of cars with p/s and then I hop in my mate's old laser without p/s, and i cannot stand the thing... takes like 5 rotations to lock.. its plain dangerous you can't avoid someone if its a split second decision.

But you say the ae is different aha I HOPE SO!!!

99% of the time it would be a daily hence need for p/s, I would like to take it to the track but we'll see what happens..

But you all say it handles really well? How many rotations to lock may I ask.. as in full left to full right.. Because I doubt anything could be as bad as that laser but yeh..

Guess I'll give it a go when I test drive the thing next weekend..

Btw my name is James, I'm 19, from Sydney.. Like my cars, my basketball, girls if I can get them aha...

Take care all, thanks for the input.

55psi
27th December 2007, 12:53 AM
non p/s lasers are harder to steer coz theyre fwd. More things to move, and therefore more heavier steer. so keep that in mind

shorty
27th December 2007, 01:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (halo @ Dec 26 2007, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=458732)</div>
aha sorry boys was out for the day..

nope I have never driven an ae86

I'm in the market for a car, criteria was rwd manual non turbo 10k max, after eliminating mx83 cressida with supra box and later 1jz engine, falcon xr6 cos of weight and gas, and some others too I arrived at takumi's ride..

I have one lined up and have the money to buy it..

Reason I ask of power steering is that I drive dad's old maxima, mates probe, newer corollas etc ie. heaps of cars with p/s and then I hop in my mate's old laser without p/s, and i cannot stand the thing... takes like 5 rotations to lock.. its plain dangerous you can't avoid someone if its a split second decision.

But you say the ae is different aha I HOPE SO!!!

99% of the time it would be a daily hence need for p/s, I would like to take it to the track but we'll see what happens..

But you all say it handles really well? How many rotations to lock may I ask.. as in full left to full right.. Because I doubt anything could be as bad as that laser but yeh..

Guess I'll give it a go when I test drive the thing next weekend..

Btw my name is James, I'm 19, from Sydney.. Like my cars, my basketball, girls if I can get them aha...

Take care all, thanks for the input.[/b]

pretty sure u just listed all front tuugers

FWD handle like shit

FACT: i drove my mums 98 fwd rolla then hopped into my 84 RWD rolla. stock minus a 340mm steering wheel and i noticed the difference instantly. rwd rolla handeled better

simple answer

FWD = understeer

light rwd small car = no need for power steer

most new cars are equiped with p/steer and especially fwd models

and i can vouch that fwd's with no power steer handle like a dirty whore :D

that is all

patience
27th December 2007, 01:37 AM
Personally, I own one with powersteering and I love it.

It's technology, why not use it if it's available? It doesn't make you any more of a man if you can drive something with heavy steering.
Alot of the guys that say don't worry just own non P/S models and therefore shouldn't pass judgement on the subject, as that is what they are used to.
For others like the hardcore track guys, it's just another thing to go wrong, or a matter of opinion.

Just get out and drive both, I did, and I daresay it might have been just the car I drove, but the non P/S I found ridiculously heavy and unneccessary.

But if you would be doing alot of daily driving (like me, 99% of the time) go for the power steering if it's available, if not, don't skimp on a good Sprinter should you find a clean one without it.

chuckY_
27th December 2007, 02:18 AM
I drive a 4wd as my daily with no p/s with 33" tyres..you'll be right :2thumbs: :2thumbs: