PDA

View Full Version : commodore experts needed

dustyae86
28th December 2007, 07:50 AM
well at work at the moment there is a vs, it keeps overheating intermitanetly... and she got it hot enough to crack the radiator... anyhow thats not the problem yet, replaced teh thermostat and radiator and started to bleed it up wiht a coolant bleeder, but once it starts t get warm it seems like it has a massive air lock and spews out all the coolant and then when it's turned off it keeps going, anyone have any hot tips on what to do? starting to annoy the shit out of me

r3zzz4
28th December 2007, 11:28 AM
Use a massive funnel and try wedge it in the radiator filler hole, so that you can fill the funnel half up and let it drain into the radiator the whole time, don't turn it off, just keep trying to fill the bastard. My mechanic was doing this once when I went to see him, took him well over 30 minutes before it would stop spewing everywhere, they are just a shithouse desined system for airlocks.

Good luck!!!

mech`s blue
28th December 2007, 01:19 PM
did you try cracking the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing? also you sure the head gasket not rooted? also make sure the heater is on

never had problem with leeding these before

mech`s blue
28th December 2007, 01:20 PM
the best funnel to use to fill these up is the straight section an old top radiator hose cut out. fits perfectly into the top of the radiator

slide86
28th December 2007, 01:21 PM
i am the resident holden mechanic :)

have you opened the bleed screw whilst filling the funnel up?

just leave the bleed screw open fora while, whilst filling the cooling system up. have the heater on also

is it on gas? they can be a real prick to bleed. ]

the funnel has to be taller than the bleed screw on the top of the thermostat housing.

ive had it happen a few times when it just shits out all the coolant everywhere. usually does it with new thermostats.

every few minutes with the engine running, just open the bleed screw for a bit, this should get all the air out

you have plugged the thermo fan back in......i forgot to once and i couldnt figure why it was overheating

dustyae86
28th December 2007, 01:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slide86 @ Dec 28 2007, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=459566)</div>
i am the resident holden mechanic :)

have you opened the bleed screw whilst filling the funnel up?

just leave the bleed screw open fora while, whilst filling the cooling system up. have the heater on also

is it on gas? they can be a real prick to bleed. ]

the funnel has to be taller than the bleed screw on the top of the thermostat housing.

ive had it happen a few times when it just shits out all the coolant everywhere. usually does it with new thermostats.

every few minutes with the engine running, just open the bleed screw for a bit, this should get all the air out

you have plugged the thermo fan back in......i forgot to once and i couldnt figure why it was overheating[/b]

haha yeh, I'm using one of those yellow bleeders, the proper things for it, got the heater on it's not on gas... had it running before and mid way through the radiator is still cold? sort of seems like the new thermostat is crap already, which is no surprise from a tridon one... starting to think maybe it's a headgasket... last time we let her take it, it ran fine fro a week then overheated :blink: so yeh she's a funny one, my idea was to fill it up put the cap on and let it run for a while and crack the bleeder open every now and then... and yes the thermo is plugged in:P I have done exactly the same thing before too

SLIM4ages
28th December 2007, 06:38 PM
Sound kinda stupid but i found that blocking the radiator top and sqeezing the top and bottom hoses whilst the bleeder is open helps, sort of acts like a plunger.

Nikkojoe
28th December 2007, 09:20 PM
Having heaps of holden's in the family (and working on one heaps with cooling problems constantly). The thermostats are always dodgy even if they are new. Always test them in a pot of boiling hot water to see if it opens up fully. As soon as the temp guage begins to lift off the dash, you should start to feel the top radiator hose start to get warm. If its still cold when it gets to half way, its not opening....

steroidchickens
28th December 2007, 09:37 PM
my vs had the same problem. replaced radiator cap, thermostat, temp sender. and it still had the problem.

then i got a new water pump, problem solved.

as the water pump gets old it starts leaking coolant through the front bush.

everytime i topped up the coolant it would last a week untill it started overheating intermidetly.

since i put in the new pump it has ran like a dream since!!

dont know how crazy you guys go bleeding them, but all i did was squeezed the top radiator hose a couple of times and got rid of the bubbles and thats it. haha. mine is on gas too.

and nikkojoe, how can you test a thermostat in a pot of boiling water if they work off pressure?

riojin
28th December 2007, 10:53 PM
vr and vs are common with this problem. i know of someone who puts as much coolant+water in their car as they do fuel. i should let them know about the water pump

Nikkojoe
28th December 2007, 11:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steroidchickens @ Dec 28 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=459825)</div>
my vs had the same problem. replaced radiator cap, thermostat, temp sender. and it still had the problem.

and nikkojoe, how can you test a thermostat in a pot of boiling water if they work off pressure?[/b]

Thermostat physics...... They open under different temperatures, not pressure....

It is a golden rule off thumb that you test a thermostat to see if its working by placing it in a pot of water. Begin to heat the water, and you will notice that at a certain temp (usually around 80deg) the thermostat will begin to open. Some will open later than others, some earlier. The key is to check if it open uniformly or really suddenly.

anyway how stuff works :) (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system8.htm)

Oh yeah, and i used a tridon one in my vn and it stuffed itself after 1year (it gets stuck not fully opened). I also bleeded the cooling system the same as what steroidchickens did

steroidchickens
29th December 2007, 07:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ Dec 28 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=459876)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steroidchickens @ Dec 28 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=459825)

and nikkojoe, how can you test a thermostat in a pot of boiling water if they work off pressure?[/b]

Thermostat physics...... They open under different temperatures, not pressure....

It is a golden rule off thumb that you test a thermostat to see if its working by placing it in a pot of water. Begin to heat the water, and you will notice that at a certain temp (usually around 80deg) the thermostat will begin to open. Some will open later than others, some earlier. The key is to check if it open uniformly or really suddenly.

Oh yeah, and i used a tridon one in my vn and it stuffed itself after 1year (it gets stuck not fully opened). I also bleeded the cooling system the same as what steroidchickens did
[/b][/quote]

interesting read dude. did not know that.

dustyae86
29th December 2007, 08:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steroidchickens @ Dec 29 2007, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=459977)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nikkojoe @ Dec 28 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=459876)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steroidchickens @ Dec 28 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=459825)

[/b][/quote]

interesting read dude. did not know that.
[/b][/quote]

tried seeing if the thermostat opens, seems to open in boiling water, even ran it without the thermostat and it's still boiling over, checked the head and it's all good.... might order a holden thermostat, oh and there is no coolant leaks, i ahve pressure tested the system and it's all ok, this is driving me crazy... I have heard of one case where the water pump fins corroded causing the water to get agitated and make air bubbles... don't really want to pull the water pump of uneccesarily though..... come on slide86 your my only hope :P

maxhag
29th December 2007, 09:26 AM
It only takes an hour OR LESS to change the waterpump on those engines....... I did mine a month ago (cheap too)

If its still overheating without any thermostat, getting a holden wont help you.....

try this test:

1. Take out thermostat
2. Take off top and bottom radiator hoses
3. get a garden hose, and blast water INTO the engine at the top hose

Does the water come out the bottom hose, or is it blocking up and coming back out the top hose?

This simple test will tell you wether you have flow thru the engine.....

J Riftin

dustyae86
29th December 2007, 10:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maxhag @ Dec 29 2007, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=459994)</div>
It only takes an hour OR LESS to change the waterpump on those engines....... I did mine a month ago (cheap too)

If its still overheating without any thermostat, getting a holden wont help you.....

try this test:

1. Take out thermostat

Does the water come out the bottom hose, or is it blocking up and coming back out the top hose?

J Riftin[/b]

might try that then

dustyae86
29th December 2007, 10:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dustyae86 @ Dec 29 2007, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=460000)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maxhag @ Dec 29 2007, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=459994)

try this test:

1. Take out thermostat

J Riftin[/b]

might try that then
[/b][/quote]

and it's not heating as such , just boiling :P might put a thermostat in on monday, bleed it up and drive it a fair bit... hopefully this will fix it.... bloody intermitant faults shit me