PDA

View Full Version : Engineers Certificate

sotiros86
29th December 2007, 07:14 PM
I am looking at purchasing an 83 ADM sprinter which has a silver top 4AGE 20 valve installed into it. The guy who i am looking at buying it off told me that you do not need an engineers certificate for it because it is the same series of engine i.e. 4A.

i have looked through some really old threads about converting from a 4AC to 16valve 4AGE, but there is nothing on the 20 valve.

I really want this car, but i dont want to have to try and get engineers certificates before rego is due.

P.S. It needs to meet NSW RTA requirements

Todd
29th December 2007, 07:18 PM
the engine is the same cubic capacity as the stock item so i know you will not run into any problems there.
although i have heard things about having to increase the brakes and maybe some other things if the power increase is over 25%.

there is alot of info around about this. people ask it all the time,

thu187
29th December 2007, 08:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (todd @ Dec 29 2007, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=460194)</div>
the engine is the same cubic capacity as the stock item so i know you will not run into any problems there.
although i have heard things about having to increase the brakes and maybe some other things if the power increase is over 25%.

there is alot of info around about this. people ask it all the time,[/b]

Dude you're in WA and he's in NSW.

Anyway just go to the RTA and get them to print you out a list of their engineering signatories and give the one closest to you a call and you can direct all your questions to someone who actually knows and not people regurgitating hearsay. :)

sotiros86
29th December 2007, 10:31 PM
Cheers for the info guys. will give the rta a call monday morning and try to hunt down an engineering place.

It better be fine, cause i really want this car

LAZY
29th December 2007, 11:11 PM
You dont have to get it engineered, I didnt have a problem with my old car, they will be looking into your engine number 4ag25556637(the first number and three letters) etc. But i guess its good to be safe than be sorry.
In the real world engineers certificate in NSW means squat, they can still issue you a canary without the fine when its engineered.
Call EPA first for an emmisions test 02 999 555 16

Older cars have a less strict emissions test done and will issue you a statement declaring that you have passed, this in future can be used and has more value than a engineerers certificate and they charge you heaps just to go around the car.

But I would't be too concerned.

Gunner
29th December 2007, 11:27 PM
go to a shop with a gas analyser before the epa, if epa doesnt like what they see i dont think they'd be happy, in nsw any increase in power of 25% or more, brakes must be upgraded accordingly, slotters are usually enough, and also all the pollution gear from that motor has to be fitted and in working order.

but as it was said, an engineering cert. means dick i nsw. the only good point to it, is that sometimes it makes things easier, some cops will react, most wont from my experience. and also with rego and selling the car.

if you want to do it right, which is a good idea, dont get me wrong, there are bad points, but still, do it right or dont do it at all. find a good legit engineer as if it seems dodgey and its spotted by the rta or whoever they will check it and the car will get checked again by the rta. a few certain drag racers found this out with their drag cars cruisin thru brighton, lol fuckin rotor drivers lol.

if u want it do it right, if its a good car all round, dont let it pass u if ur up for the work involved.

sotiros86
31st December 2007, 12:22 PM
rego for the car is due in like 2 months, do you reckon i would need epa certificate to pass rego, or should i be able to pass without one.

sorry for all the questions, i just really want this car, but dont want it to sit in my garage cause i cant get it regoed

gottago
31st December 2007, 01:03 PM
i went from 4ac to 4age silvertop 20v and im from sydney and i had to get it engineered, its not original motor, its more than 10% power increase. and its not from any aussie car...

vented front discs was a minimum for my car to be engineered..

gottago
31st December 2007, 01:07 PM
lazy is right, engineers report means fuck all anyway, any cop can defect your car even if they dont believe the report, or even if they are un-sure about anything on your car.. its just they dont give u a fine, you have to take your car to proove its legally modified, the engineer report just means it can be registered. doesnt mean the cops will leave u alone or will walk away soon as u bust it out.

my mates a cop and when i rung him up about it, he goes " if it looks dodgey i just defect it and let the other guys be the judge of it".

i got red stickered, and my car was engineered. $50 to tow it to the station to get cleared within 30secs.. biggest waste of fucking time.

sotiros86
31st December 2007, 06:35 PM
will it still pass rego without an engineers report or epa? I am willing to getthem both done, but i dont think that i will have time to get it done before rego.

sotiros86
31st December 2007, 06:40 PM
The other thing that i have been told is that i can not drive a car with an engineers certificate because i am on my p's, and it would then count as a modification.

Is this true? I will try and give the rta a call on wednesday to find out if it is correct or not, but at the moment you guys are my best choice.

Gunner
1st January 2008, 10:23 AM
the engineers cert doesnt mean u cant drive the car, its the modifications that mean u cant drive it, tho there are alot of p platers ettin round with e conversions that dont et bothered.

if u can et a pinkslip for it on the dodge u wont need an engineers, most workshops probably wouldn't even realise that the motors been chaned, usually as long as a car has good brakes tyres and suspension, and nothin major is wrong with it, u wont have an issue

parrot
7th January 2008, 10:09 AM
clicky (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=24003)

This is Victoria, but you will get the general idea.

If I was you, I would consult the NSW reg authorities website and see what it says about notifying an engine change. If in doubt, contact the vehicle standards department direct, not the dropkick on the desk at your local branch.

I would be stunned if NSW was any more lenient than Victoria.

johnny_08
7th January 2008, 11:16 AM
what power figures do they go by tho for the 20v? the toyota 121kw brochure bs figure or an actual figure?