PDA

View Full Version : Installing a brake booster & m/c...need help

Dongaz
3rd January 2008, 03:04 PM
I have a r32 m/c and booster to go into my ae86. When you install them do you have to bleed the master cylinder? If so how do you do this? Is there anything else I need to worry about?
Cheers

Hen is a total nutcase
3rd January 2008, 03:39 PM
I just bolted it up and started bleeding. I think you can bleed the cylinder itself beforehand to speed up the process, but it isn't required.

You'll also need to ditch the factory bias valve/line splitter bolted to the drivers strut tower (ok, just realised you'll only need to ditch it if it's a 3port master)

Also I reused my stock Sprinter booster. May make your life easier.

Hen

Dongaz
3rd January 2008, 04:06 PM
Im guessing you used the stock sprinter booster as u didnt want to do all the mucking around under the dash?

fixeruperer
3rd January 2008, 04:25 PM
im pretty shaw well when i did myne i could only fit the m/c in the booster wouldn't fit, the inlet manifold wasin the way (tho fwd manifold) i think rwd has a cut out.
the ae86 booster is working fine with it tho.
youll have to make lines up to.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fmj/r32master.JPG

Hen is a total nutcase
3rd January 2008, 05:40 PM
Just noticed that fixeruperer has used what seems to be a 2port master (or maybe 3 with one blocked... I'm sure he can confirm) and kept the factory bias valve/splitter.

I used the 3 port master and ditched the splitter. Apparently this gives better bias if you are using rear discs.

Both work. But I'd guess a.) would be better with rear drums and b.) with rear discs.

Hen

fixeruperer
3rd January 2008, 05:58 PM
yeh its a 3 port with one blocked, with the ae86 bias/splitter i gutterd it (so its just a splitter), its just using the one in the m/c.
it has good bias now locks the frontup first but you can still feel the rear working (brakes work well) tho i am using jza70 rear rotors and calipers.
i bought a adjustable bias valve but it looks like i wont be needing it.

Dongaz
5th January 2008, 01:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fixeruperer @ Jan 3 2008, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=462412)</div>
im pretty shaw well when i did myne i could only fit the m/c in the booster wouldn't fit, the inlet manifold wasin the way (tho fwd manifold) i think rwd has a cut out.
the ae86 booster is working fine with it tho.
youll have to make lines up to.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fmj/r32master.JPG[/b]

So you have 2 lines for front and rear and the third port is blocked off. Where did u get your block off piece from? The other thing is the 4th small port does that also need to be blocked off?
Thanks

steroidchickens
5th January 2008, 07:39 AM
i think the non abs rb20 masters come factory with only 2 holes. because mine only has 2 holes.
thats all i did. made up 2 new lines going from master to splitters, and used the ae86 booster.

denialmark
6th January 2008, 07:08 PM
im using a r32 master with 2 holes,86 booster and splitter. s13 front with 4 pots and borg warner rear and drums.
when the car was gettin emission tested the guy said the rear brakes are weak. the car has minimal linear braking feel (points where brakes are full on too off ), at most a inch of pedal travel but fronts can lock if pushed enuf.

do i need to ditch the spliter or bigger booster or what....??