PDA

View Full Version : WTB AE86 Tureno [Bris] - Import or Buy Local?

mikkas
4th January 2008, 12:39 PM
Hey guys (and girls?) I've just joined the forums here, and have been looking around the threads getting as much knowledge as I can... I wanted to ask the experienced people of the forum about getting a AE86 Tureno (love the popup lights!)...

What am I in for (lots of repairs?)
What should I look out for, are there better models out there?

How is insurance etc etc... what fuel economy am I looking at?

I currently have a 2003 Toy Echo, and get about 430Km's out of 33L.

I'm not looking for a drifter car. Just something fun to drive (and hopefully smooth!). I absolutely love the body of the cars, and as of yesterday arvo was able to drive my first AE86 (grommets car, now sold). So yeah, just wanted to introduce myself, ask a few questions and see what people think about importing vs local.

Thanks -- Mikkas.

verm69
4th January 2008, 12:49 PM
you pretty much have 2 options that are most likley.... import a tureno from japan for at LEAST $10k, or buy a crappy 4ac ADM sprinter, do it up and get a trueno conversion kit (front pannles, bumper, lights, light motors, bonnet) and convert it...

OR... you can wait for someone to sell theirs...

mikkas
4th January 2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, as I'm pretty strapped for time these days (work, girlfriend, etc) I'd probably opt for a import. Although I guess importing is more of a risk (are some websites or shops better than others?)

DRFTPG
4th January 2008, 02:03 PM
there are many good importers around, try www.j-spec.com.au or imports101

mikkas
4th January 2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks SO57A.

Would you konw what the fuel efficiency of a AE86 is?
Haven't been able to google / wiki search it up yet... Figured users in here would have more 'realistic' statistics too. :P

Mythril86
4th January 2008, 02:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeRm69 @ Jan 4 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=462957)</div>
you pretty much have 2 options that are most likley.... import a tureno from japan for at LEAST $10k, or buy a crappy 4ac ADM sprinter, do it up and get a trueno conversion kit (front pannles, bumper, lights, light motors, bonnet) and convert it...

OR... you can wait for someone to sell theirs...[/b]

Like mine... just put it up for sale today. Find it in the cars for sale

86xxx
4th January 2008, 02:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mikkas @ Jan 4 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=463000)</div>
Thanks SO57A.

Would you konw what the fuel efficiency of a AE86 is?
Haven't been able to google / wiki search it up yet... Figured users in here would have more 'realistic' statistics too. :P[/b]

Think everyone's going to have a different figure, because of how many different engines/variations/tunes are getting around in sprinters.

Could be looking at anything from i'd guess 12L/100km to 20L/100km depending on mods and driving style.

remember you're coming from a 21st century (and what is classed as one of the most economical cars on the market) developed 1.3L car to a early 80's either carbied or fuel injected car, both of which are more than likely incorrectly set up or even at their best are not going to be able to match a car such as your echo for fuel economy.

But as far as fun factor, i think you're going to be far far far better off! :P

blair
4th January 2008, 02:49 PM
fuel efficiency of a local ADM sprinter (4ac)

is usually shithouse

...carbies suck heaps haha literally ;)

efi/imported 4agE will be alot more efficient

mikkas
4th January 2008, 03:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
But as far as fun factor, i think you're going to be far far far better off! :P[/b]

Yeah, the AE86's look like they're a heap of fun :D Maybe I'll have to save & keep my echo as a daily, and use a AE on the weekend. Learning heaps so far - thanks to all for the quick replies! Mikkas

rich_86
4th January 2008, 05:10 PM
id say import cause you get all the good jdm gear for starters plus any extras that are on the car....rust is guarenteed in 99 percent of 86's so thats jus norm for age...where are you located i know a guy in bris who can get very clean 86s for very good prices if i knew him before i bought my 86 thats where i would have gone....pm me if your after more details ect.. cheers rich

raceAE86
4th January 2008, 05:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Jan 4 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=463084)</div>
id say import cause you get all the good jdm gear for starters plus any extras that are on the car....rust is guarenteed in 99 percent of 86's so thats jus norm for age...where are you located i know a guy in bris who can get very clean 86s for very good prices if i knew him before i bought my 86 thats where i would have gone....pm me if your after more details ect.. cheers rich[/b]

Thats what I was going to say except for the knowing some one part, I would import one it will be a lot cheaper in the long run garunteed value for money.

mikkas
4th January 2008, 08:03 PM
Thank you so much for the responses -- I honestly didn't think I'd get that many answers for my 1st topic! I'm going to have a look at importing now I suppose, as I hear that Jap spec motors (I think) have better efficiency. I live on the north side -- once the car gets to Brissy would anyone want to come check it out and give some advice of what to do next?

Any recommended places to service that you guys can think of?
Once again, thanks!

Mick.

pro_k
4th January 2008, 10:37 PM
Contact me if you are serious about importing one.

k_pramodh@hotmail.com or 0421 302 364

mello
5th January 2008, 07:26 AM
thumbs up to pro_k quite alot of members here and on other forums have imported ae86's through him, including myself. i bought a trueno myself and waited a long time for one to pop up (zenki) with countless hassling of pramodh =D (sorry mate). Buy a kouki you could have it here in 1 month.

he is alot cheaper then ur average joe j-spec and prestigeimports and he knows more, and has contacts that look for key problems that come with the ae86 range so its a win win situation when you compare.

ps: his standards are high and if you want to be cheap and buy a rusted one he wont let you ruin his importing reputation ;P he usually finds the clean ones.

mikkas
6th January 2008, 02:17 AM
excellent, looking forward to my 1st AE86 :D -- as well as being able to come for a cruise XD

Gunner
6th January 2008, 10:04 AM
i recon u should only get one if u spell trueno right lol

mikkas
6th January 2008, 10:44 AM
hahah.. yeah fair enough. Looks like im going to go for an import now -- the researching begins!

Gunner
6th January 2008, 10:50 AM
dude just be careful and use the better shops even if it does cost a bit more

Jonny Rochester
6th January 2008, 11:38 AM
Go to the JDS website and follow the links. They have sold Truenos before, will ship anywhere.

If the car turns out to be too harsh and loud, standard springs and interia bits are easy to find.

iron chef
7th January 2008, 01:20 AM
I've got a couple on my site - the black GT-V with sunroof actually lands in Brisbane this week, and isn't sold yet, so you obviously wouldn't have to wait long. (Apologies for the the spam...)

patience
7th January 2008, 03:15 AM
Pro_K has imported some absolute stunners, I'd go with him.

For example, look up electric_mic, his car was outstanding.
I'd definately import

mikkas
7th January 2008, 11:55 AM
Went with Pro_K, dropped the 1000 deposit today. :)
It begins... :D

86xxx
7th January 2008, 12:36 PM
3 days searching?! Hope you get a good buy! Pics yet?!

mikkas
7th January 2008, 12:44 PM
nah he hasnt started yet i dont think... prok wanted a deposit before... which i was worried about, but took the plunge only because other members on here trust him :)

blair
7th January 2008, 12:53 PM
nice.

let everyone knows how your search goes

:D what did you say your looking for??

coupe or hatch? mods? price?

mikkas
7th January 2008, 01:10 PM
arrgh, coupe or hatch.. .. man i better start googling..
i just want a smooth ride... dont really want mods (do I? dont want to drift or drag)
price is apparently going to be my whole bank account, so I'll be living in the trueno by the sounds of it (14 thousand.. :S)

86xxx
7th January 2008, 01:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mikkas @ Jan 7 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=464517)</div>
arrgh, coupe or hatch.. .. man i better start googling..
i just want a smooth ride... dont really want mods (do I? dont want to drift or drag)
price is apparently going to be my whole bank account, so I'll be living in the trueno by the sounds of it (14 thousand.. :S)[/b]

From the sounds of it mate, if i were you i'd really be getting down to some research, before you get ripped off BIG TIME.

johl
7th January 2008, 02:29 PM
get a trueno coupe in full standard trim inside and mint exterior with nice wheels. however they are alot more expensive in full jdm trim. i saw a mint one go on yahoo for like 12k i think. just depends on how big a slice of the pie ur importer wants

patience
7th January 2008, 03:07 PM
Lol do some research mate.
Look at my ride, link is in the sig.
That's a hatchback, in my opinion they look better with the trueno lights.
There are also two series, 1983 - 1985 and 1986-1987. Same model, small subtle changes.
I couldn't find a good write-up someone did for beginners... stupid search engine

Edit: here you go, give this a good read. If you want to know the prices involved in importing, I just went through the process.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...091&hl=noob (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=16091&hl=noob)

tricky_dan
8th January 2008, 01:46 PM
hey where abouts are u from mikkas? yea i'd go an imported trueno if i were you, look for one with slightly less km than the norm if you're not going to drift it (the norm being lets say 200k km?)

rich_86
8th January 2008, 05:10 PM
14k WTF no offense...well i guess we will see wat you get...

mikkas
8th January 2008, 05:40 PM
I pulled out with pro_k for the time being. For the record, not that I was scared, the day I put a deposit down -- i get smacked with a huge bill from my land lord.. and electricty too ... arrgh.. I'm going to read up, prepare more cash (more time :< ) and then take it from there in the future :)

I'm after a smooth trueno, low km's not really modded.. as I want to get insured and registered and have money to actually buy some petrol :P
I'm saving starting from today!

mello
8th January 2008, 10:29 PM
Yea do some research iv been researching about ae86 since may07 and wasn't able to find the right one before i approached pro_k. Feel free to ask anyone questions if your not sure or ask anyone thats imported I'm sure most are willing to help.

feel free to also check my link in my signature ^_^

hope you find the right one your looking for.