PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering arms V's Standard NA Arms

RyGuy86
7th January 2008, 04:06 PM
Hey Kids,

Can someome tell me..

if you put a Standard steering arm next to a Power Steering arm..

I know that the PS arm is shorter... but by how much???

does anyone have the exact measurements?

chapl
7th January 2008, 04:18 PM
are you cutting and re welding?

i wouldn't

riojin
7th January 2008, 04:46 PM
powersteering arms take 3 full turns for full lock
non powersteering arms take 3 and a half full turns for full lock

RyGuy86
7th January 2008, 05:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chapl @ Jan 7 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=464584)</div>
are you cutting and re welding?

i wouldn't[/b]

Nah dude... looking at getting some custom ones made up that are shorted that PS arms so i dont have to mess around with spacers.

The steering arms are made out of hardend steel.. and if they are cut and welded correctly by an engineer.. there's nothing wrong with it.. as long as its done right.

people chop 86 LCas and blend them with s13 LCA's all the time.. so whats the difference if i chop stock ones?

RobertoX
7th January 2008, 05:51 PM
ryan - just use ps arms, FFS

tried and tested

RobertoX
7th January 2008, 06:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Nah dude... looking at getting some custom ones made up that are shorted that PS arms so i dont have to mess around with spacers.

The steering arms are made out of hardend steel.. and if they are cut and welded correctly by an engineer.. there's nothing wrong with it.. as long as its done right.[/b]
You can get them cut and rewelded but the expense of doing it properly would be way too high to justify it (properly qualified welder, crack test, US test, metallurgy test, engineers cert etc). If you need more lock or quicker steering than the PS ones give then go a quaife rack with the PS arms...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
people chop 86 LCas and blend them with s13 LCA's all the time.. so whats the difference if i chop stock ones?[/b]

LCAs are a completely different grade of steel that is realatively safe for most low skilled welders to weld.

JDMJNKY
7th January 2008, 09:07 PM
ps arms are a bit different to lcas just get some ps arms off lawson

parrot
7th January 2008, 09:17 PM
Search, it's been covered lots before, measurements that is.

Benno
7th January 2008, 09:41 PM
you might wanna take some measurments of a P/S arm on the car, i'd be quit concerned with inverting the tie-rod geometry on full lock if you go much shorter in the steering arm

Konakid
7th January 2008, 09:55 PM
forget it ryan!

Jonny Rochester
8th January 2008, 12:39 AM
The Power steering knuckles are about 113-115mm long, from centre to centre. That is about 10mm shorter from memory. But they are a 3 dimentional item, you have to have one in your hand and measure everything if you are going to make them.

A D1 drifter in Japan has his workshop website here:
http://heyman-products.net/
and one of his few products is steering knuckles for the AE86. They are a exchange item. I suspect he cuts and rewelds them with less ackermann for more lock. (Not shorter, less ackermann). I know from experience this would make he steering feel a bit slower, but it would have more 'lock' because the outside tyre is allowed to turn a greater angle.

Steering knuckle length, ackermann angle, rack spacers etc are all totaly different things. Steering "lock" can have a few different meanings also...

Delazy
8th January 2008, 12:58 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ Jan 8 2008, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=464878)</div>
and one of his few products is steering knuckles for the AE86. They are a exchange item. I suspect he cuts and rewelds them with less ackermann for more lock. (Not shorter, less ackermann). I know from experience this would make he steering feel a bit slower, but it would have more 'lock' because the outside tyre is allowed to turn a greater angle.[/b]

that would be shinji minowa who drove over here at the and recently Driftfest....its fairly common thing for the japs to cut and reweld power steering arms (ae86) aswell as stub axles (s13,r32,fc/fd) etc to achieve greater lock and also to allow for more lock...

a couple page thread on ns.com atm....alot of thought needs to go into it as johnny just said as even the slightest change can greatly effect how the car steers....Atsushi Kuroi is prolly the best known of the guys in japan that modify such arms and he himself took about 30 attempts on both ae86 and s13 to get it right....

on another note, i can get heyman products direct from shinji and considering a few littles bits and pieces myself... :2thumbs:

mech`s blue
8th January 2008, 01:08 AM
i measured the lengthof the p/s vs np/s the pther day. the p/s ones are like 2.5 to 3 cm shorter.

cant remember if it was 18 to 21 cm or 17 to 20 cm

RyGuy86
8th January 2008, 12:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (delazy @ Jan 7 2008, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=464889)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ Jan 8 2008, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=464878)
and one of his few products is steering knuckles for the AE86. They are a exchange item. I suspect he cuts and rewelds them with less ackermann for more lock. (Not shorter, less ackermann). I know from experience this would make he steering feel a bit slower, but it would have more 'lock' because the outside tyre is allowed to turn a greater angle.[/b]

that would be shinji minowa who drove over here at the and recently Driftfest....its fairly common thing for the japs to cut and reweld power steering arms (ae86) aswell as stub axles (s13,r32,fc/fd) etc to achieve greater lock and also to allow for more lock...

a couple page thread on ns.com atm....alot of thought needs to go into it as johnny just said as even the slightest change can greatly effect how the car steers....Atsushi Kuroi is prolly the best known of the guys in japan that modify such arms and he himself took about 30 attempts on both ae86 and s13 to get it right....

on another note, i can get heyman products direct from shinji and considering a few littles bits and pieces myself... :2thumbs:
[/b][/quote]
YOU HAVE PM - have checked out the site and the Arms look sweet.

chapl
8th January 2008, 01:21 PM
cheaper to buy ps arms mang

i know a dude that has some for a good price let me know.

parrot
8th January 2008, 01:32 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...r+steering+arms (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=14845&hl=power+steering+arms)

But looks like the photo's have gone