PDA

View Full Version : turbo manifold

redsprinter
15th January 2008, 10:24 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ae86-4age-turbo-exh...1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ae86-4age-turbo-exhaust-manfold-t25-flange_W0QQitemZ170184219582QQihZ007QQcategoryZ104 28QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Have any of you guys used or seen this manifold on a sprinter b4. jsut wondering what your thought on it would be

also here is another link i think the guy bought it from .. look similar or even the same ...

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1355 <--------third one down .

86xxx
15th January 2008, 10:41 AM
Looks like it would crack quite quickly (look at the length of the runners)

I wouldn't waste my time, by some black heavy wall pipe bends and play around, yeah it may not look quite that pretty (if you tack it up and have a pro welder tig weld it it will look just as good once finished by HPC or someone) but it'll be miles better as far as strength and cost are concerned, in the long run.

350hp4agte
15th January 2008, 10:43 AM
i second that

slide86
15th January 2008, 12:59 PM
i got a SS auto monifold for my CA once.....it didnt fit.

redsprinter
15th January 2008, 01:13 PM
all fixed ... spoke to sprinterman68.... his gonna fix me up ...

70XIN
15th January 2008, 01:56 PM
plenty of people have used them without any dramas. most of them are designed for a 20V, so the end bolt holes need to be modified to fit 16V

but the whole thing about cracking is just uneducated guessing, they are fine.

me, personally, will be using thick-as steam pipe

86xxx
15th January 2008, 02:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (70XIN @ Jan 15 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=469036)</div>

me, personally, will be using thick-as steam pipe[/b]

Its been proven time and time again, these (especially cheap ebay manifolds) stainless thin wall manifolds are just asking for trouble.

Stop and think about it for a second. You have a material that work hardens (as it heats and cools as manifolds do) that becomes brittle over a period of time. You have the weight of a turbo being supported out and away from the engine, which is a fair weight for even a steam pipe manifold to hold on its own. Being on ebay its even more so a cheap, ultra thin grade of stainless, more than likely the cheapest grade and not 304 as exhausts should be. The weight of the turbo, combined with the vibrations of the engine, added to the brittleness of the stainless, is just an uneducated wank factor purchase, and one that is garranteed to fail. It may take months or years, but it will crack, nothing is more certain.

If they are fine, why are you using steam pipe??!?

I made mine from steam pipe (thick wall black pipe), kept the runners as short as possible and as close to the bloack as possible, and have a solid support going down to the engine mount for support.... No breakage here.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/medwin46/Sprinter/P8030056.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/162667.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/162668.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/162669.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/162670.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/162671.jpg

I have the skills, contacts and resources to have a stainless manifold made up, needless to say i have not cut any corners with my build. Fact is that stainless manifolds may look trick, but as far as functionability is concerned you'll have nothing but trouble with them.

86xxx
15th January 2008, 02:23 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/5/5/8/553544.jpg

And once cleaned up and HPC coated...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/162672.jpg

Javal
15th January 2008, 02:29 PM
Haha medwin you love posting pics of your spoonter / associated bits don't you? :lol:

skin
15th January 2008, 04:44 PM
Na thast bs

Weld a brace on it i bet it never ever cracks

Little bit of initiative goes a long way

350hp4agte
15th January 2008, 08:46 PM
a brace wont do anything bro ive had a cheap thin wall stainless manifold after one night of racing / cruzing it was f*cked beyond repair every weld had cracked and the pipe itself had cracks in it even the waistgate bracket was cracked

RobertoX
15th January 2008, 09:48 PM
all you need and warranty against cracking!

http://www.ajps.com.au/preview/aeparts/kel...o_manifolds.asp (http://www.ajps.com.au/preview/aeparts/kelway_turbo_manifolds.asp)

70XIN
17th January 2008, 01:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Jan 15 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=469051)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (70XIN @ Jan 15 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=469036)

Its been proven time and time again, these (especially cheap ebay manifolds) stainless thin wall manifolds are just asking for trouble.

Stop and think about it for a second. You have a material that work hardens (as it heats and cools as manifolds do) that becomes brittle over a period of time. You have the weight of a turbo being supported out and away from the engine, which is a fair weight for even a steam pipe manifold to hold on its own. Being on ebay its even more so a cheap, ultra thin grade of stainless, more than likely the cheapest grade and not 304 as exhausts should be. The weight of the turbo, combined with the vibrations of the engine, added to the brittleness of the stainless, is just an uneducated wank factor purchase, and one that is garranteed to fail. It may take months or years, but it will crack, nothing is more certain.

I made mine from steam pipe (thick wall black pipe), kept the runners as short as possible and as close to the bloack as possible, and have a solid support going down to the engine mount for support.... No breakage here.

[/b][/quote]

Because steam pipe was the only option at the time. I will continue to use it until it fails. I will probably even use it when i change to my trust turbo (different flange)

30psi4AGTE on toymods

Toysprinta on ae86dc

There are many others that haven't had a drama with 'ebay' manifolds in the slightest. Most these days are braced to help from cracking, honda, toyota, nissan manifolds to name a few. I know so many people (mainly non-toyota) that have had great success with ebay manifolds, that i'm happy to recommend them to anyone. If they aren't sufficiently braced (when they first 'came out'), you might have dramas, but it's a damn easy fix

Just because it's not your #1 choice medwin, doesn't mean it's crap. Please open your eyes, and leave your ego out of it.

Sorry if there are any stuff-ups. I'm on the turps, and its late, fun fun :)

Gunner
17th January 2008, 09:05 AM
cheap stainless manifolds fail, sometims a shit lod of bracing works, sometimes it doesnt.

use steam pipe and have a manifold that will out last your car

86xxx
17th January 2008, 09:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (70XIN @ Jan 17 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=470122)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (medwin46 @ Jan 15 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=469051)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (70XIN @ Jan 15 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=469036)

[/b][/quote]

Because steam pipe was the only option at the time. I will continue to use it until it fails. I will probably even use it when i change to my trust turbo (different flange)

30psi4AGTE on toymods

Toysprinta on ae86dc

There are many others that haven't had a drama with 'ebay' manifolds in the slightest. Most these days are braced to help from cracking, honda, toyota, nissan manifolds to name a few. I know so many people (mainly non-toyota) that have had great success with ebay manifolds, that i'm happy to recommend them to anyone. If they aren't sufficiently braced (when they first 'came out'), you might have dramas, but it's a damn easy fix

Just because it's not your #1 choice medwin, doesn't mean it's crap. Please open your eyes, and leave your ego out of it.

Sorry if there are any stuff-ups. I'm on the turps, and its late, fun fun :)
[/b][/quote]

Lol There's no ego in my statement. Anyone who has any experience with fabrication knows what works and what doesnt. Fact is that stainless work hardens. When it is used in an application that is heating up to extreme temperatures and rapidly cooling, such as a manifold, this causes the metal to become brittle. When metal becomes brittle eventually it simply falls apart, crumbles. I have seen it personally, add the weight of a turbo sitting out on there and you're just asking for trouble.

FACT IS that thin walled stainless, even the best exhaust grade, will not last long under the extreme conditons that a turbo manifold is put under. Take into consideration the extreme heat of the manifold (and the fact that it is repeatedly heated to 800+ degrees and rapidly cooled, thus resulting in a brittle material), the vibrations from the engine shaking the beejesus out of it, with a 10kg mass hanging off the side of it acting as a lever. Anyone in their right mind can see that you are simply demading too much from this pipe, even if it is a hand made jobbie with top line materials and proper welding, lets not even think about the ebay manifolds thrown together in slanty eye land, non penetrating welds on shit material.

Just out of curiousity, how much experience have you had with metal fabrication and engineering?

70XIN
17th January 2008, 01:23 PM
I have had my fair bit of experience with fabricating, especially since i'm still fairly young. I know what 'does and doesnt' work too, and i chose steam pipe simply for the reason that i dont trust anything thinner when dealing with heat. The fact is however, i have seen easily over a dozen people that have had china thin-walled SS manifolds last for 1 year+. How much longer they will last? I dont know. A couple of them have started turning chromey-black, so will crack in the near future, but those that have been sufficiently braced are doing marvelously.

I personally work with stainless and alloy at home, i have a decent MIG and permanently borrow a friends' AC TIG. I have done work for one brewery, and various juice and chemical factories, all directly related to work with large (26"+) diameter piping, low pressure, high heat (generally just steam).

The fact of the matter is, we both dont trust thin-walled manifolds, but you aren't open minded to the fact that they can, and mostly do work, without any dramas. In fact, the only problems i have seen with them so far are slightly warped faces where they meet the head. Nothing a metal fab/engine recon place can't fix.

86xxx
17th January 2008, 01:57 PM
As you've said, they've been on the car for 12 months. Stainless gets brittle over time, with each heat up/cool down reducing the life of the metal. Give it time, there is nothing more certain than the fact that they WILL fail. Stainless can handle the heat, yes over time it will deteriorate the strength in the metal, but in a case such as a set of stainless extractors you are more than likely going to have minimal problems, but handling a heat with such a weight supported by it at that heat is where the steam pipe has the capabilities the stainless doesnt. The stainless will be glowing red hot right through within 5 minutes of the car running, yet i doubt the steam pipe will ever reach this point.

I do not trust stainless to be used as a turbo manifold, and stand by my opinion that a turbo manifold made of thin walled anything but in particular stainless will ultimately fail. I purchased one of these stainless ebay manifolds that i was going to cut up and re-work to suit my application, but upon close inspection i could not get rid of the thing quick enough.

Warping of the face that bolts to head (and also the face the turbo mounts to) is going to happen with any manifold, and it is from where the manifold is welded up. These faces should always be 'faced' off by a machinist as they will always have a slight bend in them after being welded. (Same as welding new brackets on a diff, the housing will bow slightly, thus needing straightening by a pro.)

Its a toss up between whether the material or the welds on the material will fail first, but eventually the stainless manifold is either going to crack or crumble, more than likely both.