PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump noise

deafkid
17th January 2008, 08:50 PM
i have a vl fuel pump that whines most of the time mainly after a long drive. i have replaced 3 times with news one but it keeps on doing it. am running 4agze with the stand ae86 fuel lines could this be the prob. (the pump is mounted between the fuel tank and the chassie part that holds the panared rod). what eles could nosie be???. i know i can turn my hearing aid off and the probem of hearing is fix but not good for the car :lol:

any help would be great full

cheers jamie

steroidchickens
17th January 2008, 09:46 PM
i know it may be a stupid question but is it only when your fuel is low? because bosch pumps do that, also when they get hot they get a bit noiser too.

is there any foam around it? or just clamped streight to metal. my bracket has double sided tape around the pump to stop vibration.

deafkid
17th January 2008, 09:50 PM
does not matter if the fuel low or full still makes nosie. it has a metal bracket around pump than it on like a rubber mount to body of the car the heat could be a fator. dunno how i could fix the heat prob tho

cheers jamie

deleta
17th January 2008, 10:33 PM
mine has always done that as well, I think like steroid chickens said when they get hot they heat up. the way i made mine quieter is wrapping it in thick rubber which made it quieter, tho thinking about that now its probably making it hotter.

Good luck

riceburner
17th January 2008, 10:45 PM
ive got a stubby holder wrapped around mine and that helps reduce it a little... ;)

also, on topic, sorry for stealing the thread, but my fuel system continues to 'hummmm' after the ignition is switched off.. ive actually traced the noise to the petrol cap and its caused by the pressure created in the tank while the car is on, and it continues to 'suck' after the car is off.. is something amiss here? would buying a new petrol cap fix it?

driftism
18th January 2008, 01:24 AM
all VL pumps are noisy as, they even make a racket in a VL... if you want a quiet pump, change to an intank type

deafkid
18th January 2008, 04:00 PM
thats for the reply guys i try wraping some thing around it maybe
;)

rthy
18th January 2008, 06:53 PM
try getting the original rubber mounting from a wrecker and use that it should help heaps