PDA

View Full Version : New undercover fleet for NSW police

Driftspec
19th January 2008, 01:53 AM
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5006009,00.html (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23046318-5006009,00.html)

All details (and a photo) are in there.

Now, Police using a WRX with a P-plate, when clearly there is no P-plated driver driving, is surely illegal in some way? Or is this a case of double standards, where P-plate laws are enforced by the police, yet are completely disregarded when they slap one on their own cars?

I'm all for the roads being made a safer place, but the delivery of these vehicles with the intention of 'blending in with the hoon/hoodlum community', you can't help but ask what the real intentions are...

Of course here in QLD we have our own share of undercover cars to deal with, including Ford Focus XR5s, various Commodore/Falcon models (including utes), and a few Honda Accords and Euro cars (Renauts are used around the place I belive), so its not just NSW people that need to keep their eyes open.

Sherlock
19th January 2008, 01:59 AM
My womans Dad happens to be senior sergeant here in SA (yeah sucks huh :lol: ) and shes been telling me over the last few weeks that now they've eliminated Commodores as undercover cops in SA and are now using Mazda 6's with normal plates and no other extra features to tell them apart...SICK <_<

Gilly
19th January 2008, 02:00 AM
liberty wagons are now used in QLD as well, saw it the other week on the way down the goldy.

slide86
19th January 2008, 02:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherlock @ Jan 19 2008, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471220)</div>
My womans Dad happens to be senior sergeant here in SA (yeah sucks huh :lol: ) and shes been telling me over the last few weeks that now they've eliminated Commodores as undercover cops in SA and are now using Mazda 6's with normal plates and no other extra features to tell them apart...SICK <_<[/b]

i drove one of these mazda 6 cop cars tonight. they are totally standard, you wouldn't pick it, thats for sure!

riojin
19th January 2008, 07:17 AM
eh, theyve been using WRX's here for years.

theres a stip along shellharbour to wollongong where theres alotta lights where people mini-drag eachother. it was about 2 years ago; i saw this black WRX one day (MY05?) with chromies, custom plates and a hot chick driving it going along the mentioned strip. on the way home i stopped in a petrol station. after paying for my fuel i was on my way out and this mentioned WRX drives in. the hot chick jumps out. shes wearing this hot black singlet top and blue cargo pants with big black boots, not to mention her pistol and cuffs and other cop gear.

from what you could see when she was driving, all she was is a hot chick driving a WRX. you couldnt see the cop gear. she woulda been driving up and down the mentioned strip, stopping at the lights, blowing blokes kisses and revving it ;)

police are smarter than you think. there are reasons why they do things. people used to call these kind of things entrapment but hey, prove it.

Gunner
19th January 2008, 07:54 AM
they've been doin this sorta thing for about 10yrs now, i can remember goin to the firestation with my dad, and goin gaga over a worked vs clubby on rims with an exhaust, fluffy dogs in the back window huge tacho n the dash, and slammed. only to find out it was an undercover car, used to sneek up on speeders on the highways.
the tacho was actually the radar, the dogs hid the lights and the stupidly black windows kept ppl from seein radio gear in the car.

they can do it so they will, thanks to australias lack of entrapment laws. just dont be stupid on the street, and be smart and go to a track

obey wan boenny
19th January 2008, 09:02 AM
You should be alright if you're not doing anything stupid on public streets. I was down in Ballina for work one day last week and I saw a Honda Accord Euro and a Subaru WRX....both undercover cop cars :ph34r:

They recently just upped the game here in QLD too. Apparantly there have been lots of undercover cars on the Gold Coast in the recent month pulling people over and defecting them.

P.S - There is one very very sneaky gold Toyota Aurion who likes to hide behind bushes along the M1 on the Gold Coast so be careful!

08ftw
19th January 2008, 09:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (i-like-eggs @ Jan 19 2008, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471259)</div>
You should be alright if you're not doing anything stupid on public streets. I was down in Ballina for work one day last week and I saw a Honda Accord Euro and a Subaru WRX....both undercover cop cars :ph34r:

They recently just upped the game here in QLD too. Apparantly there have been lots of undercover cars on the Gold Coast in the recent month pulling people over and defecting them.

P.S - There is one very very sneaky gold Toyota Aurion who likes to hide behind bushes along the M1 on the Gold Coast so be careful![/b]

Everyone probably knows this already, but up here in QLD there are alot of Maroon Aurion's & Blue Aurions undercover cars getting round. Fack they are getting sneaky ai. Lol

TRD_86
19th January 2008, 09:53 AM
if i was a cop, id be holding some runs of my own!

cop vs cop! whos to tell them off, and now theyre all in different makes of cars would make it interesting too!

blair
19th January 2008, 09:57 AM
haha best idea!

Felix
19th January 2008, 11:29 AM
on the gold coast theirs a maloo ute, black R32 and near ipswich theirs a matte blue 180

no fair

poh_86
19th January 2008, 11:57 AM
sury hills police have undercover ford fpv's and xr6 turbs withdark tints personalised plates and aftermarket wheels hahah
good on em catching street hooning

ke70dave
19th January 2008, 06:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Jan 19 2008, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471246)</div>
from what you could see when she was driving, all she was is a hot chick driving a WRX. you couldnt see the cop gear. she woulda been driving up and down the mentioned strip, stopping at the lights, blowing blokes kisses and revving it ;)[/b]

if this is true...

how is this preventing street races?

thought the idea was to protect the public from idiot drivers, not make them drive like idiots and then give them a fine...revenue raising....

driftke70
19th January 2008, 07:02 PM
ive got no problems with anti hooning laws, but this bullshit defect business has gone way too far, theres a difference between giving someone a fine and some points for doing something dangerous, and fining and giving points and taking someones car off the road because it could be dangerous.

Where i work i see nothing but people movers with baby seats in the back with metal to metal brakes, faulty clutches that grab, people in mercs with steel hanging out the back tyres, people in cars where the rack ends feel like they are going to drop out, but these people will NEVER get in trouble for these problems. Most fatal accidents are drug and alcohol related, if you get done for defect, your car is impounded then and there, you pay a serious fine, usually upwards of 500 dollars, and you have to get your car towed home. If your caught drink driving, you get your fine in the mail weeks sometimes over a month later, 300 dollar fine, less points, and if you hang around or get someone they can take your car home.

A cop that pulled me over the other day and fined me 75 dollars and a point for having no padding on my steering wheel, i said to him why are they cranking down, people crashing alot or something, and he said "oh i dunno its just in the papers and stuff i guess"

BULL FUCKING SHIT

starni_boy
19th January 2008, 07:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TRD_86 @ Jan 19 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471266)</div>
if i was a cop, id be holding some runs of my own!

cop vs cop! whos to tell them off, and now theyre all in different makes of cars would make it interesting too![/b]

When dad was a copper ages ago, the above comment actually happened.

He and some other fellas in the department were looking at the patrol cars, a doing something to one of the carbs to improve more flow into engine. A guy pulls up and says: "Bullshit, my car will beat yours in a drag race". He was in a new XW GT falcon, so the other copper says: "Lets race then"

And off they went, A copper drag racing a local on a straight road somewhere. would never happen these days!!

Rolla Train
19th January 2008, 07:42 PM
hearing this stuff just makes me angry...
its just not criket.

Ma61Rims4Sale
19th January 2008, 07:52 PM
and still the road toll will rise..............

v-tec
19th January 2008, 10:57 PM
They'll proply turn up at some hill run with a couple of drifters in a civic with spinners and a fart cannon

"we're with the in crowd"

JhK
19th January 2008, 11:32 PM
last week at strathfield i saw a black Mazda rx-8! yup!

anastasios
19th January 2008, 11:43 PM
cmon lets get some coppers in a ke70!!

DRFTPG
19th January 2008, 11:50 PM
i saw the trickyest thing ever!!

there was a cop that had "pulled over" another car at the top of a hill where you couldnt see them until you were right next to them. Anyway i was driving along and looked and the other car that was supposedly pulled over was also a cop!! with a radar in his hand, so people would keep speeding thinking oh that cop is distracted he wont get me. They have done it a number of times and i have seen numerous people pulled over, mind you the 2nd car is a commodore with 19-20inch rice chrome wheels....isnt that illegal?

v-tec
20th January 2008, 10:24 AM
Sick double standards, spose they could put it down to greater good.... still

ke70dave
20th January 2008, 10:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SON57A @ Jan 19 2008, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471653)</div>
commodore with 19-20inch rice chrome wheels....isnt that illegal?[/b]

not when you ARE the law

also along the lines of what driftke70 was saying, the pie van at work has belts all round on his tyres, yet he carries a few gasbottles to keep his mini oven going, and a mini frigde to keep the drinks cool, very heavy, no tread, will he ever get pulled over?.........never

Mr Fujiwara
20th January 2008, 03:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ma61Rims4Sale @ Jan 19 2008, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471556)</div>
and still the road toll will rise..............[/b]

i think this has a lot to do with the fact there's always going to be more and more drivers on the road, if everyone crashed 20% less, then it would just take a few years for the road toll to be higher, as there would just be more people on the road.

Same deal with why water's running out so much (in my opinion), most of the citys in Australia dont have the infrastructure to support the huge populations which are continuing to rise anyway.

Gunner
20th January 2008, 03:56 PM
^^^ so bloody true, but didny u know that p platers use all the water, same as they cause all the accidents

Driftspec
20th January 2008, 06:42 PM
Its the double standards that annoy me... I know driving a car with P-plates when you are not a P-plate driver is illegal, yet why can 'police undercover vehicles' get away with it? It stinks of 'one rule for them, another for us', and certainly won't do their PR team any good to try and convince the general public that they are doing 'good'.

Couldn't agree with Beally and ke70dave more with what they said as well - it smells of revenue raising, trying to get people to race them, and pull them over to fine them... all the while some boro, rusted crapper drives past and they couldn't care less? WTF? And yes, I've seen it happen.

As far as I'm concerned, if you get done for speeding, drifting or acting like an idiot on the road, then you are to blame. But being blatantly targeted one way or another while worse things happen (the dangerous drivers and cars we see everyday) is morally wrong... and a court of law doesn't like to hear that...

As for undercover cars, Strathfield next door to where I work fitted out a blue Mitsubishi 380 and a gold Mazda 3 with radios and other gear. Everything was hidden, the radio unit was down near the gearstick, the lights were strapped to the inside of the sunvisor (wo they couldn't be seen until they were flipped down) and the siren/lights switch was below the dash, behind the steering wheel. Moral of the story: if the car looks suss, assume the worst...

dr1ft-pig
20th January 2008, 10:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (i-like-eggs @ Jan 19 2008, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471259)</div>

P.S - There is one very very sneaky gold Toyota Aurion who likes to hide behind bushes along the M1 on the Gold Coast so be careful![/b]

euro and a wrx in ballina????

i dont think so man, they are still all xr6t/xr8s normal falcons, commos, ss, ssv and we have 2 volkswagen vans too, and then all the paddys but noone gives a shit about paddys lol

i might drive to ballina saturday night and suss out theese said undercovers

obey wan boenny
20th January 2008, 10:41 PM
^^ I saw the WRX go through the Hungry Jacks drive through at the big shopping centre along a main road. I can't remember the name of the road but it was near 2 round abouts that lead out of town (if that even makes any sense to you :P). I definately saw 2 police officers inside it. And then I saw the Euro at an intersection (heading out of Ballina) when I arrived in the morning, you could see the camera clearly and it was pretty suss with it's dark window tint, not to mention you could see the two police officers inside it.

dr1ft-pig
20th January 2008, 10:46 PM
fuckin wow

ill be looking out for then when i go for my leisurely drives down there haha

obey wan boenny
20th January 2008, 10:48 PM
:lol: I swear to god I saw them

dr1ft-pig
20th January 2008, 10:52 PM
i swear your crazy, but i think ill be safe and look out for them rather than be sorry and get boned in the ass

mc68
20th January 2008, 11:17 PM
My old man told a story of when he got pulled over by a (then) brand new dark blue Mk1 cooper s in around 1962, after pulling up behind his pretty wild FE holden wanting a run. Wanting to know how quick the new cooper s was my dad said he tried to outrun it...the cooper S caught up...eventually slapped a blue light on the roof and pulled him over...only one guy in the car, in civies

lucky here in WA we only have astra diesels and falcons..and a few marked wrx's

PuGZoR
21st January 2008, 02:19 PM
Agreed, they are getting sneakier. Kinda getting the impression they have more unmarked cars than marked cars these days.

Idea!

Anyone keen to get a list of undercover police vehicles going? Details would have to include make, model, colour, registration and suburb spotted. All confirmed details too, no maybe's. Yeah? Yeah?

Bustin_86
21st January 2008, 03:57 PM
^^^Not a good idea on a public forum

It would get circulated and any one who contributed could easily be done for obstruction of justice + whatever other bullshit some cunt with a uniform dreamed up.

Driftspec
21st January 2008, 10:13 PM
Except for the AE86 owners area... keep those dirty keto drivers out of the loop :P

Just joking guys :)

But seriously, I am trying to keep a mental note of undercover cars. They're not easy to pick nowadays, they normally have factory standard rims (not the old steelies without hub caps), but they're biggest flaw is that the cars are bought in batches, and registered as such - so once you see one, note the number plate, and be suss about any car that is close to that original numberplate. I've used this a few times now, and all I can say is it is dead right ;)

PuGZoR
22nd January 2008, 10:27 AM
Heh, you're dead right driftspec. Done that too myself.

Mind you, it's not hard to see their bolt on lights in the windows usually. Eg, 'bout a year and a half ago I was cruising with probably 4 other cars (back when I had my SW20 MR2), and this black SS commy slips right into the middle of the group. Obviously this is a bit sus, and we could see the little blue and red panel lights sitting on the parcel shelf, sitting dormant. We phone ahead, tell the leader not to do anything stupid (not that we usually do, but just to be on the safe side), and the black SS kept following us. We eventually parked in a cul-de-sack, and the black SS would drive past every few minutes. Eventually, we left, and the black SS was waiting, and followed us again. Pulled over my mate in his '32, and tried to look for defects, but they'd pulled over the only stock car in the whole bunch, which is kind of funny considering the rest of us consisted of an MR2, a Cefiro, and two S13's (very sus looking travelling as a group, I know). They let him go, but then pulled him over again and gave him a ticket for not indicating while doing a U-turn. So, naturally, I complained that they were harassing us, and just waiting to get one of us out on a technicality.

Got a call from the head of traffic branch metro, had a good talk to the bloke (papers seem to go to him for a quote or two when they write a story on hooning here), and he insisted they went by the book, which they did, but I just wanted to make it known to him that he's not making any friends by having his boys tag along and then fine us for a technicality. The one thing that astounded him though (and getting back on topic), was the fact we picked up they were undercover, as soon as they joined our convoy. Told him we could see the lights in the car, and that the driving style was very suspicious. Also let him know that any enthusiast these days is always looking for those traits on unmarked, late model vehicles, just in-case. Either way, was a good chat, learnt a lot off him in terms of police protocol, and probably gave him a few hints on what they're doing wrong. The police dropped the U-turn fine on my mate too after that...