PDA

View Full Version : AE86 Defect Notice

Jazz9
20th January 2008, 01:25 AM
Hi

I recently got a Defect Notice on my Sprinter (4AGE) for Emission Controls and for all modifications to be inspected.

1. What will be checked and what does a Sprinter need to pass emission controls?

2. I have a 2.5" straight through with a cannon and I dont have a cat or evap canister, are these needed?

3. I have modified the suspension (8kg/mm front 6kg/mm rear) would this pass inspection?

Any other useful information...

Thanks

slide86
20th January 2008, 01:39 AM
where are you located?
sa?

maxhag
20th January 2008, 08:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jazz9 @ Jan 20 2008, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471672)</div>
Hi

I recently got a Defect Notice on my Sprinter (4AGE) for Emission Controls and for all modifications to be inspected.

1. What will be checked and what does a Sprinter need to pass emission controls?

2. I have a 2.5" straight through with a cannon and I dont have a cat or evap canister, are these needed?

3. I have modified the suspension (8kg/mm front 6kg/mm rear) would this pass inspection?

Thanks[/b]

I guess it depends where you are. Can you take it anywhere or does it have to go to the RTA?
Here in ACT,

1. Usual stuff. Tyres, brakes, worn bushes, steering, etc.....
2. Exhaust size doesn't matter, they only care if it's too loud or if it leaks. If any motor originally had a CAT and canister, YOU WILL need them for emmissions.
3. Your springs can be as stiff as you like etc, they only care if it makes the car too LOW

Jazz9
20th January 2008, 11:23 AM
I'm in WA

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maxhag @ Jan 20 2008, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471712)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jazz9 @ Jan 20 2008, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471672)
Hi

Thanks[/b]

I guess it depends where you are. Can you take it anywhere or does it have to go to the RTA?
Here in ACT,

1. Usual stuff. Tyres, brakes, worn bushes, steering, etc.....
2. Exhaust size doesn't matter, they only care if it's too loud or if it leaks. If any motor originally had a CAT and canister, YOU WILL need them for emmissions.
3. Your springs can be as stiff as you like etc, they only care if it makes the car too LOW
[/b][/quote]

johl
20th January 2008, 11:57 AM
god dam. u got caught with no cat? thats usually a pretty massive defect with a rediculously huge fine to boot.

Jazz9
20th January 2008, 12:41 PM
Does a 1984 Sprinter *need* a cat? The 4AC had one but is it needed for the 4AGE? Is there a rule about older cars?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johl @ Jan 20 2008, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=471769)</div>
god dam. u got caught with no cat? thats usually a pretty massive defect with a rediculously huge fine to boot.[/b]

maxhag
20th January 2008, 01:03 PM
the CAT has to match the engine, not the chassis

ghetto ke
20th January 2008, 01:11 PM
I think pre-84 cars didn't require a cat, but then again 4-AC was designed to run on Leaded fuel - Super (lead replacement) not sure if too many people on here would remember those days... when premium unleaded was only 95 octane too :lol: 4AGE was a later generation engine so used Unleaded fuel from the outset and should be fitted with a cat. converter. Now that there is only unleaded fuel available, I'm guessing that a cat would be required regardless of year of production >1984> as carbonmonoxide = (n)

Jazz9
1st February 2008, 02:34 AM
Well my 86 went over the pits today and the examination report was alot nicer than I expected:

* indicator to cancel out
* horn to operate (haven't connected the wire to my nardi)
* windscreen washer hose needs connecting
* repair ripped seat
* seatbelt to retract
* movement in steering (?? all the bushes etc are brand new ??)
* diff leak needs rectifying (its a locker!!)
* rectify running performance on fuel line (???)
* fit immobiliser

thats it.

I'll have to see the examiner people tomorrow to clarify some stuff but overall not too bad I think.

I guess now I can start to work out how to fit the SC12 I just got...

ghetto ke
1st February 2008, 09:46 AM
movement in steering could be worn tierod ends or ball joints.

kaibeecee
1st February 2008, 10:06 AM
it's arguable about the 1983 legality with no catalytic converter. but on paper, it doesn't require one.

however, its worth it if you're evironmentally savvy a bit or want to save yourself money in fines should the EPA pop up anywhere

parrot
1st February 2008, 11:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaibeecee @ Feb 1 2008, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=478339)</div>
it's arguable about the 1983 legality with no catalytic converter. but on paper, it doesn't require one.

however, its worth it if you're evironmentally savvy a bit or want to save yourself money in fines should the EPA pop up anywhere[/b]

Wrong, and this is the last time I will ever post on this subject.......... But I think I have said that before.

This engine was only available in Australia in an AE82 and on that it required a CAT, thus if you put that engine in anything else, it requires a CAT. End of story.

The emissions requirements are solely dictated by the engine, not the car it goes into.

Tyrie
1st February 2008, 11:55 AM
do WA pits not have a brake tester? In ACT they have a set of rollers they run the car on to check if the diff is locked.

Jazz9
1st February 2008, 01:29 PM
This place only had a hoist and apart from that they test drive

Tyrie
1st February 2008, 01:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jazz9 @ Feb 1 2008, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=478402)</div>
This place only had a hoist and apart from that they test drive[/b]

Fair enough, I'm surprised they didnt notice the locker from a test drive.