PDA

View Full Version : baffled diffs

Gunner
22nd January 2008, 12:08 PM
now i was talking to a mate of mine earlier, about my constant hassles with t series diffs. any way we got on to talking about putting baffles in the diff, how many of you guys do it, or have it. i just wanna find out about the hieght of the baffle and where its best situated.

Gilly
22nd January 2008, 12:39 PM
mine has factory baffles in it :blink:

i'll get a pic

EDIT: impossible diff is in the car still. i had an RA series downstairs but it doesn't have them!! T18 diff in my car has them where the axle tubes merge with the centre housing (pumpkin) they just clip into place

i assumed they all had them

Gunner
22nd January 2008, 12:59 PM
ive never looked, so a pic would be good

Gilly
22nd January 2008, 01:06 PM
your a good guy but i'm not pulling my diff apart for you :lol:

might be getting a different ratio so i'll get pics then i guess, in the meantime i hope someone else has some!! Johnny Rochester might even have access to a part number, he does for every other single toyota part known to man :lol:

JDM-20L
22nd January 2008, 01:31 PM
Mate going off the OEM baffles I see I would be installing them just after the gasket surface I could take a pic inside say a hilux diff if it helps you mate... what problems are you having? Scuffed gears from lack of oil?

Gunner
22nd January 2008, 01:37 PM
i havent been able to drive it hard enough to worry about them yet lol. i've gotta do somethin with mine so im just research precautionary methods

JDM-20L
22nd January 2008, 02:01 PM
If your gonna give it shit I would recommend doing it before you do damage a ring and pinion or bearings...

If you want pics let me know!

Gunner
22nd January 2008, 02:25 PM
no worries mate, when it comes time ill be in touch

Jonny Rochester
22nd January 2008, 07:42 PM
I can give the part number , but there is no need. Every diff comes with the baffles in them. They are not welded in, they can be clipped in or out.

Maybe you can overfill it with oil if your that worried.

There is the Group-A /N2 diff oil cooler option, but how many of us need that?

Gunner
22nd January 2008, 07:45 PM
i was just curious as i havent heard of it before, and im not worried if i keep bearkin it which i will. i have a couple other decent sized diffs layin round

RobertoX
22nd January 2008, 07:46 PM
every 4k ke70 owner on here

ToySprinta
24th January 2008, 07:51 AM
Anther option is putting a another filler hole in higher than the standard one, so you can put more oil in.

Gunner
24th January 2008, 09:07 AM
there wont be any extra oil, it'll be done properly

ToySprinta
24th January 2008, 12:47 PM
Apparently its a common problem in smaller diffs, under hard cornering or drifting, all the oil fills the axle tube, leaving the pumpkin dry. Extra oil can help alleviate this problem.

sprintdaddy
24th January 2008, 01:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Jan 22 2008, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=472838)</div>
now i was talking to a mate of mine earlier, about my constant hassles with t series diffs. any way we got on to talking about putting baffles in the diff, how many of you guys do it, or have it. i just wanna find out about the hieght of the baffle and where its best situated.[/b]

The baffles you are referring to go from top to bottom of the housing with a hole for the axle to go through obviously, however just having these will not solve your problem. What you really need is a bigger stronger diff, it`s a pretty simple concept really " if you have more power you need a stronger drivetrain to handle the power " why do you think 9" diffs are so popular with the street machine and hot-rod fraternity.

Gunner
24th January 2008, 01:48 PM
i know what i need to do i was just curious about baffled diffs