PDA

View Full Version : ADM & JDM AE86 fuel tank

AE86.cn
23rd January 2008, 11:31 PM
i've got a few questions about the tank, if u can help me out, I'm will be very appreciated!

whats the different between ADM & JDM AE86 fuel tanks?
can a JDM tank fit in an ADM AE86 shell easily?
what else i need to have if i want to use a JDM tank?
is there any welding job required when replacing an ADM tank by another ADM tank?

thanks guys

parrot
23rd January 2008, 11:36 PM
They are identical except the 4AGE tank has baffles installed around the fuel pump pickup.

Not perfect, just better.

Holes need to be welded (get a professional to do it).

Although your leak may well be one of the tank seals.

kaibeecee
24th January 2008, 09:23 PM
JDM tanks also has in-tank surge pot enclosed.

parrot
24th January 2008, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't call it a surge pot. It's really just some better baffling around it

maxhag
25th January 2008, 12:40 AM
Just a note:

Don't try to weld a fuel tank yourself if you don't know what your doing. Just emptying a fuel tank is NOT sufficent.
Fuel VAPOURS are more explosive than the fuel itself...........

Sherlock
25th January 2008, 12:44 AM
Fuck trying that, call in the qualified people's :P

AE86.cn
25th January 2008, 09:47 PM
thanks for the adivces.
if i just replace it by another ADM tank, is there any welding job required?

r3zzz4
25th January 2008, 10:26 PM
You do know that JDM has an EFI fuel pump instead of the carby lift pump yeah? Just thought id throw it out there incase, the tanks are identical on the exterior, they bolt up identical to each other, the pump and baffles are the only difference. It's alot easier using a JDM tank for a 4age conversion than modifying a ADM tank.

parrot
26th January 2008, 09:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheNewKid84 @ Jan 25 2008, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=474761)</div>
You do know that JDM has an EFI fuel pump instead of the carby lift pump yeah? Just thought id throw it out there incase, the tanks are identical on the exterior, they bolt up identical to each other, the pump and baffles are the only difference. It's alot easier using a JDM tank for a 4age conversion than modifying a ADM tank.[/b]

If you have an ADM tank and the JDM fuel pump and housing. the housing bolts straight in to the same location as the ADM fuel pickup. JDM housings can be a bit hard to come by though hence people setting up external pump systems.

If your replacement tank is sound, then no welding is involved in replacing them.

wide s13
28th January 2008, 06:40 PM
while on the subject of tanks. my ae71 when its on a qtr and i filck it sideways it studddders?
is this normal?

70XIN
28th January 2008, 08:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wide s13 @ Jan 28 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=476049)</div>
while on the subject of tanks. my ae71 when its on a qtr and i filck it sideways it studddders?
is this normal?[/b]

fuel surge

yep, perfectly normal on most ~20 year-old cars.

sprintdaddy
28th January 2008, 10:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AE86.cn @ Jan 23 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=473903)</div>
i've got a few questions about the tank, if u can help me out, I'm will be very appreciated!

whats the different between ADM & JDM AE86 fuel tanks?
which one is better?
can a JDM tank fit in an ADM AE86 shell easily?
what else except the tank shell itself i need to have if i want to put a JDM tank onto an ADM shell?
what will u do if u got a leaking tank? repaired? or replace?
is there any welding job required when replacing an ADM tank by another ADM tank?

thanks guys[/b]

No you do not have to do any welding to just swap a jdm tank into your 86, unless it leaks.

AE86.cn
29th January 2008, 10:22 PM
good to hear no welding job required.
ill try to find a ADM tank soon ^^