PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

daz
23rd January 2008, 11:52 PM
Hey just wondering what you think would be a good set up for an exhaust on my 86. I'm looking at making it quieter as it does my head in. Its 2 and a quater atm with just headers, cat, hotdog and a cannon. i was just thinking add another muffler? What do you think? Cheers.

FLT LNR
24th January 2008, 03:25 AM
familiar with the old hotdog and cannon. used to make me somewhat deaf when i had the KE. surprisingly it got better when i hacksawed the cannon off (had a big friggin hole in it, caused just the right note to make your ears want to start an uprising)

but in response, yeah man, it's off to the muffler shop for you.

Javal
24th January 2008, 04:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (daz @ Jan 23 2008, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=473929)</div>
Hey just wondering what you think would be a good set up for an exhaust on my 86. I'm looking at making it quieter as it does my head in. Its 2 and a quater atm with just headers, cat, hotdog and a cannon. i was just thinking add another muffler? What do you think? Cheers.[/b]

Somebody at a reputable but not 'scene' (OMG all the h3kTik driftaz go there) exhaust shop will be able to point you in the right direction.

The tried and trusted setup is:

Extractors of your choice > no cat > Hotdog > muffler / cannon of your choice.

2.25 to 2.5" pipe is the general consensus on piping size.

Have fun.

Javal.

biggo
24th January 2008, 02:37 PM
your spelling needs fixing :P

I'm going 4-2-1 headers 2.25 pipe, cat, hotdog, muffler thingy.

mind you i have the superhuman power to withstand all angry undue noises :P

HYPNTK
24th January 2008, 03:51 PM
its all in the muffler as far as sound goes...if you don't want it to be so loud you gotta put a muffler with good baffling/packing in it...not just a cannon muffler

meadan
24th January 2008, 05:40 PM
does anyone know how effective a JUNBL cannon would be at quietening?

I ask because i jsut got one, and I'm putting in on, so now i will have a cat, resonator, and cannon...though it was ok with straight pipe after the diff too..

riceburner
24th January 2008, 06:58 PM
ive just had mine done... old system was: extractors 4-2-1 > cat > cannon... ths thing was loud as fu(k.. i had it measured at the xhaust place and it was 109db!! ive simply changed the rear muffler from the cannon to something a little more baffled and the sound is great, still purrs a little bit and then sounds a bit like an m3 :P when u give it some stick, a little like the noise a cat makes when u step on it!!!

Patto
24th January 2008, 11:52 PM
my old system was extractors into 2.25 pipe with no cat and 2 v8 genie mufflers and a twin 2 in outlet
tested at 94db @3500rpm
to quieten them down more you need to drop the pipe size down to 2 inch with mufflers ..no cannons

wide s13
25th January 2008, 06:32 PM
i just got a 2inch with cat, hotdog and sports muffler and tips and it sounds sweet.
quiet down low but louder at 8grand :)
its a worked 4age in my ae71. it does have genie exstractors aswell.

Gilly
25th January 2008, 06:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ Jan 24 2008, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=474210)</div>
mind you i have the superhuman power to withstand all angry undue noises :P[/b]

:lol: thats a good way to put a positive spin on it!!

biggo
25th January 2008, 10:16 PM
selective hearing represent :lol:

meadan
27th January 2008, 05:17 PM
I put my JUN cannon on yesterday.
When compared to only having a resonator, it doesnt make too much difference.
Its just a bit quieter at idle and low revs, and sounds quite a bit deeper and more droney at times.
Took a bit of the nice 4age rasp out though.
I figure if i want it quiet id have carpet and sound deadening anyways, just turn the radio up :P