PDA

View Full Version : WHY NOT TO REMOVE SOUND DEADENING

rich_86
3rd February 2008, 10:28 PM
why you ask.....well driving back from interstate today....driving thru floods knee high and having no sound deadening equal bottles floating in foot wells and some good laughs...lol any other ppls got reasons why not ot remove sound deadening and too noisy is not an excuse....

obey wan boenny
3rd February 2008, 10:30 PM
umm, your feet start to burn after a spirited drive

Gunner
3rd February 2008, 10:30 PM
structual integrity, lol.

Driftspec
3rd February 2008, 10:31 PM
Because I would rather destroy my hearing from my stereo than the car noise...

And so I can drive anywhere in comfort... and carry more than 1 passenger ;)

Just to name a few :P

Talk soon dude :)

Gunner
3rd February 2008, 10:32 PM
yeah feet get hot especially with no shoes on

callum1
3rd February 2008, 10:40 PM
only my passenger foot well gets really hot. even through the carpet. but....there just the passenger. fuck em

samuek
3rd February 2008, 10:54 PM
its pretty stupid for a fiew kg, its makes no difference appart from the noise...and i beleive you would get more chassis flex

rich_86
3rd February 2008, 10:56 PM
well was done for the hell of it at the time but yea all holes shall be welded up for prevent further fun time involving floods and such

puzzigully
3rd February 2008, 11:15 PM
I havent done it yet because i drive my car every day. having a stock interior will go down better when you get pulled over. that and I enjoy listening to music driving to work, no sound deadening would make that GHEY

Ru-iki
3rd February 2008, 11:22 PM
If your gonna have extra weight in the car, the lowest point isn't a terrible place to have it anyway.

Ru-iki
3rd February 2008, 11:22 PM
Because 30kg isn't even noticeable and no one here has the skills to take advantage of that 30kg difference

Gunner
3rd February 2008, 11:31 PM
30kg=4hp

hatzo
3rd February 2008, 11:35 PM
Taking weight below the CG(center of gravity)
will actually raise the CG higher.

On the upside it makes your car feel and sound more "racey"

riojin
3rd February 2008, 11:43 PM
my gze with 2.5inch exhaust and stock ADM muffler and r33 cat is anoyingly loud with the deadening still in

stefan
3rd February 2008, 11:44 PM
i have no sound deading

if you do have a leak or simmilar you can acess the grommits easily

and drain all water out and avoid rust

i can still listen to music just need 6x9's and head unit sounds fine to me

not autosalon spec but is enough for spirited drives

Cerby
4th February 2008, 12:16 AM
i melted a passengers thongs to the floor once :P

hachirusto
4th February 2008, 12:28 AM
because people who drive commodores have found out about this and now do it in there cars, which now makes it uncool and dumb for a street car:P

floody31
4th February 2008, 02:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Feb 3 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479613)</div>
30kg=4hp[/b]

So about as big a difference as driving on a 30 degree day, vs a 25 degree day. Whoop dee doo.

Blown86
4th February 2008, 02:37 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (samuek @ Feb 3 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479576)</div>
and i beleive you would get more chassis flex[/b]

You think sound deadening is structural?? :blink:

fergo308
4th February 2008, 06:57 AM
I hope you're going to drain your gearbox and diff oils after your watercourse excursion.

Justin...

drft86
4th February 2008, 07:30 AM
when ur up against a 400hp datsun, i believe u'll take evry hp u can get, and an extra 4 for no money seems worth it to any track car

rich_86
4th February 2008, 07:43 AM
the original point i was trying to make is that it keeps the flood waters out was some funny shit seeing the foot wells filling with water but yea is all gone now and all fluids shall be replaced next weekend wen i have time i was more after the stupid reasons why not to removed it not some petty arguments over 4hp lol personally i do think it would have some benifite (possibly) by having a layer of tar accross the floor as for the weight diff in the 4ac 86 i did notice it well it was all striped out to beforehand (also had rear seats out) but in 4age 86 not really that much difference..

parrot
4th February 2008, 09:41 AM
I think the point is, that if it is exclusively a road car, why would you bother.

If it sees the track then it is worthwhile. Then you do the job properly and seal up the plates in the floor. If you leave big holes in the floor and drive through floods, what do you expect will happen?

kaibeecee
4th February 2008, 09:57 AM
the holes are nothing a bit of alloy plate and sikaflex can't fix

sound deadening gets removed in the name of seam welding/cage fitment it's a different story

Gavin
4th February 2008, 10:14 AM
a striped interior is to hard to keep clean if you have carpet the dirt kinda sinks in :lol:

Sprinterboy
4th February 2008, 03:41 PM
I've stripped mine out, so when I get the cage fitted, it'll help counter weight what I've pulled out. Besides, my car is for weekend fun and track, nothing more, I have a nice 4x4 for daily driving :D

Matt-AE86
4th February 2008, 03:44 PM
I'm sure my hearing has been distroyed and regular migraines because of not having sound deadening on crazy attacks at the track with straight pipe and just in general driving around with out it and an annoying whining diff...

On the topic of flooding.. I once had a KE70 that was a trasher and took to rally more then once. We stripped it out one weekend with intentions of turning it into a group track beater. Took it rally a few months later went threw some big puddles, rear was filling up with water. Was quite hilarious.

samuek
4th February 2008, 04:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blown86 @ Feb 4 2008, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479680)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (samuek @ Feb 3 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479576)
and i beleive you would get more chassis flex[/b]

You think sound deadening is structural?? :blink:
[/b][/quote]

i rekon it 'would' brace up the car a little, but then again, not enough to notice any difference..... thats my opinion don't crusify me :o

ghetto ke
4th February 2008, 04:33 PM
sound deadener would possess about the same structural properties as icing on a do-nut :P

Talking about CofG, If serious about weight reduction, it needs to be total not just off the floor and firewall. recommend removal of roof lining, A,B,C pillar trims, Seatbelts (as harness fitted) replace glass with polycarb/lexan etc to optimise vehicle dynamics and lower CofG, lower engine/trans mounts etc these all add up to benefit on track, but discomfort on road.

final note: I recommend wearing snorkel in wet conditions :lol:

skin
4th February 2008, 04:47 PM
worth the weight reduction, rip it out

:2thumbs:

You guys talk like 30kg reduction is easy to come buy.....

Not once you get so far it aint

fergo308
4th February 2008, 05:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skin @ Feb 4 2008, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=479961)</div>
worth the weight reduction, rip it out

:2thumbs:

You guys talk like 30kg reduction is easy to come buy.....

Not once you get so far it aint[/b]

exactly.
pull out all the easy stuff like the spare wheel,carpet,back seats,plastic trim,roof lining, and the 5kg of tar on the floor and when most of that is then offset by your welded-in half cage,try and find other places to get it out from.

you'll be ditching the rear wiper,trimming down the wiring loom,fitting frp hatches,carbon bonnets,frp guards,pulling out the heater,cutting out the extra wiring under the dash,etc. etc.
and once all that's done,you'll start holesawing out the battery tray,cutting off the old rear seat mounting brackets,trimming steel off of the edges of panels around the jack/tool well and so on and so on...

the first 40kg is easy. every few hundred grams after that is work.

Justin...

Gunner
4th February 2008, 05:42 PM
as for the strutual integrity, it would possess some but very little, i was just bein a smartass

Gunner
4th February 2008, 07:04 PM
go for lexan windows, they're lighter then perspex

R1CHYY
4th February 2008, 07:17 PM
road car is pointless, makes for a shit ride...track car for sure! looks sweet when its deadingless and painted :P

fergo308
4th February 2008, 08:37 PM
does lexan last longer? more scratch resistant than perspex?

Justin...

rich_86
4th February 2008, 08:39 PM
as for the person that said 30kg wont make a diff well why not throw a further 30kgs in wen you go to the track????

I'm sure there is some sort of dif

as for structual strength it would be minimal but I'm sure a little but jus in chassis flex that would be all

70XIN
4th February 2008, 08:40 PM
why not remove? because its holding all the rust together

rich_86
4th February 2008, 08:40 PM
no jus the flooding issues thats all

ae86hachiroku
4th February 2008, 08:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
go for lexan windows, they're lighter then perspex[/b]

Perspex is actually slightly lighter.

Lexan is good for not scratching as easily as perspex. And is supposedly stronger.

Gunner
4th February 2008, 08:49 PM
ahh but in a car u need to run perspex thicker than lexan, so i guess its debatable

drft86
4th February 2008, 10:07 PM
gladwrap hatch windows ftw

and just to continue the shit fight.

unless u have crazy hp and have traction issues in ur car, and plan to destroy some datsuns,

pull all garbage out of ur car, a few grommets and plugs look better ande save weight over 36kg of ugly tar. and keep the floodwaters out

nb *see chris from ARB for a free quote on snorkel*

kaibeecee
4th February 2008, 11:46 PM
equal thickness of lexan is alot lighter than glass. glass weighs ALOT

samuek
5th February 2008, 01:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Feb 4 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=480002)</div>
as for the strutual integrity, it would possess some but very little, i was just bein a smartass[/b]

lol all good :P

as for more weight reduction tho, if i remember correctly when i chopped up my old sprinter there was a whole bunch of metal shit that would weigh a bit in between the rear 1/4 panels and the inside tyre wells... it would be a good idea to chop that out for a track car, i think i got some photos lying round of the car chopped up ect...

rich_86
5th February 2008, 07:19 AM
but if everyone cared how much there car weighed they would start off buy buying the coupe as it weighs less to begin with due to less glass and i think you would be able to get a lot lighter car with the coupe most prob a levin so you don't have the pop up headlight weight...fibreglass or carbon boot, bonnet, guards,doors, front bar (OEM copy), rear bar (OEM copy),custom dash custom cluster jus basic guages and nothing more inside then one or 2 seats, the lightest 14s you can find, and then stupid shit like full titanium exhuast, forged internals, titanium intake and plenum, carbon taper covers, custom radiator, 20v block(if they weigh less not sure on that) carbon clutch and light weight flywheel, carbon tailshafts, no grill, custom fuel tank, all sound deadening removed, no power steering, no air con or fan system, no trim, no wipers, no washer bootle, no overflow bottle, lightweight battery kept in engine bay for less wiring, no carpet, no back seat, no spare wheel, minimal wiring jus what is needed, door glass removed all together and glass replacement all round i think that would be the closest to lightest hachi possible correct me if I'm wrong thou

ghetto ke
5th February 2008, 09:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4agteketo @ Feb 4 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=480412)</div>
and perspex weighs even less ;)[/b]

perspex is not as tough as polycarb/lexan and will splinter if it breaks :o

kaibeecee
5th February 2008, 11:16 AM
not to mention lexan can be vaccum moulded alot safer, without the whiting that perspex ocaasionally gets when its bent

and certain grades of lexan are effectively bullet-proof glass

for those that take out sound deadening, its a good idea to foam-fill chassis rails, rear guards and other key points, as it acts as slight sound deadener, but the added rigidity is good

driftism
5th February 2008, 02:22 PM
i wouldn't bother removing the sound deadening on anything other than a dedicated track car. it makes me laugh when someone gets a standard ke70 and their first mod is to remove all the carpet and the deadening.

in 20 years when someone wants to try and find a mint AE86 or KE, they aren't going to be able to as most are stripped out to nothing, and all the interior parts needed to put them back together again will be unavailable, and toyota will no longer make them.

my car has extra underfelt added into it and i bet it is a lot quicker than some of the stripped out "race machines" going around.

Gunner
5th February 2008, 02:26 PM
the reason why its usually the first mod is because its free, and anyone can do it.

rich_86
5th February 2008, 03:41 PM
also don't think too many people are thinkin about keeping a mint hachi....I'm sure some are and they will get good money for it in time to come....by that time finding a straight hachi with no accident history will be ultra rare...most prob the reason i bought the hachi i did on the weekend.

Konakid
5th February 2008, 03:51 PM
Remove the tar then put carpet back in = no noise and less weight, win all round

driftism
5th February 2008, 05:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 5 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=480673)</div>
also don't think too many people are thinkin about keeping a mint hachi....I'm sure some are and they will get good money for it in time to come....by that time finding a straight hachi with no accident history will be ultra rare...most prob the reason i bought the hachi i did on the weekend.[/b]

exactly, i would agree with you on that one, which is a shame, seeing as it will be even more impossible to find a mint one in a few years.

riojin
5th February 2008, 06:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4AGE - 86 @ Feb 5 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=480750)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 5 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=480673)
also don't think too many people are thinkin about keeping a mint hachi....I'm sure some are and they will get good money for it in time to come....by that time finding a straight hachi with no accident history will be ultra rare...most prob the reason i bought the hachi i did on the weekend.[/b]

exactly, i would agree with you on that one, which is a shame, seeing as it will be even more impossible to find a mint one in a few years.
[/b][/quote]

which is why my next investment is buying a clean as, complete stocker jdm and keeping it in my garage for a few years.

fergo308
5th February 2008, 07:48 PM
do you seriously believe that anyone is going to be able to drive one in another 20 years,or even still care about them?
will there be fuel? will you be allowed to register one? will you be able to afford it even if the previous four answers are yes?

I doubt we'll even have internal combustion engines in cars in another twenty years time. the way emissions laws and other vehicle regulations (as well as the various social pressures) are heading it's not looking positive for the humble club-level sports car enthusiast and his old,dirty,manual everything twin-cam-petrol-burning-car.

worrying about finding a clean AE86 in 2028 will be the least of your concerns.
besides what I've posted above,finding work,finding clean drinking water,keeping a roof over your and your family's heads,and not being killed by the have-nots when you step out your front door will be a little closer to mind than where you can get original door trims and boot carpet for an '83 model levin I think.

and besides all of that,not everyone who guts their car throws the parts away. my car is as gutted as it can be and still be eligible for road rego. I still have all the boot plastics,roof lining and so on in boxes in my garage,which is where they're staying. who knows,I may even decide to put 80kg back into the car and make it slower one day...maybe when the shooting starts to affect my hearing and I for some unfathomable reason,want to stop driving my 2000 model wagon everyday and make my weekend toy into a daily.

Justin...

hilton
5th February 2008, 07:55 PM
chassi flex, wot evs kent.

(didnt read the whole thing coz removing sound dedoning is up to the person that drives the car,

rich_86
5th February 2008, 11:40 PM
as for the 20 yrs time thing that no one will care (fergo308)...wats ur wager on that good sir???? so thats also to say that the first kcp20 i think (with the L26 its been too long since i looked at details of them) is going to be worth nothing cause we will all be driving hybrids or electro cars???? doubt it fair enough most shit boxes lancers, camrys, civics, usual shit like that will not be worth anythin in 20yrs time...but a mint late model jdm hachi with fk all kms, no rust and straighter then wen if left the factory should be worth alot more due to there heritage and cult following...more example a guy i know on the sunny coast used to race in group a a mz70 supra....sold it a while back for 10k i think now its the only one left in the whole world with group A papers any ideas how much it is worth the new over got offered $220,000 late 06 for it.....so to say that cars are jus going to become worth nothing is ignorant to say...well maybe the real rough hachis will be worth very little but clean jdm stockers with low mileage...fk loads....adm's might also go up not too sure bout that thou...also this year the 1983 model hachi become classified as government listed classics so I'm sure the price on those will start to strangely increase as well....and if the forums become a registered club...thus cheap rego (on the basis you don't drive it everyday and what not i think are some of the cheap rego conditions)

fergo308
6th February 2008, 07:00 AM
of course they'll still be worth something - to collectors. the same way idiots fawn over XR GT falcons and people spend all weekend polishing and detailing an A40 to go in a concourse. I wasn't talking about that sort of thing,or re-sale values.

will you be driving one,and will other people who are on this forum now give a shit in 2028? for that,I'll wager NOT. hell,I doubt I'll even have one,and there's a 50/50 chance that I may not even be alive by then.

I love older cars as much as the next guy,but I'm also realist enough to understand that nothing lasts forever. especially with the way the world looks like it's heading.

Justin...

quadeyquade
6th February 2008, 08:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 5 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=481118)</div>
as for the 20 yrs time thing that no one will care (fergo308)...wats ur wager on that good sir???? so thats also to say that the first kcp20 i think (with the L26 its been too long since i looked at details of them) is going to be worth nothing cause we will all be driving hybrids or electro cars???? doubt it fair enough most shit boxes lancers, camrys, civics, usual shit like that will not be worth anythin in 20yrs time...but a mint late model jdm hachi with fk all kms, no rust and straighter then wen if left the factory should be worth alot more due to there heritage and cult following...more example a guy i know on the sunny coast used to race in group a a mz70 supra....sold it a while back for 10k i think now its the only one left in the whole world with group A papers any ideas how much it is worth the new over got offered $220,000 late 06 for it.....so to say that cars are jus going to become worth nothing is ignorant to say...well maybe the real rough hachis will be worth very little but clean jdm stockers with low mileage...fk loads....adm's might also go up not too sure bout that thou...also this year the 1983 model hachi become classified as government listed classics so I'm sure the price on those will start to strangely increase as well....and if the forums become a registered club...thus cheap rego (on the basis you don't drive it everyday and what not i think are some of the cheap rego conditions)[/b]
how old do our cars have to get to become classics?

ae86hachiroku
6th February 2008, 04:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
perspex is not as tough as polycarb/lexan and will splinter if it breaks[/b]

Untrue as well. Got the guy at the factory who produces lexan/perspex to show me a demonstration of destroying both types (As I had the suspicion that perspex would also splinter awhile go). They break exactly the same, perspex is not going to 'splinter' nor 'shatter'. The only merits there are on lexan is that they don't scratch as easy.

But really, if you were to use lexan or perspex on a car at all, it's obviously for track use only. So I don't see when it would get scratched anyway. Reason for myself choosing perspex because it's lighter, even though it's not lighter by much. May as well.

Incase some of you are confused, Lexan is just a brand name for the actual material Polycarbonate, and Perspex for Acrylic.

Sprinter-Saurus
6th February 2008, 10:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drft86 @ Feb 4 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=480261)</div>
gladwrap hatch windows ftw[/b]

I tell ya what news travels fast, took this picture on the highway today, it would seem that one very smart ford driver is on the ball

http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/output/motivator5022216.jpg

rich_86
7th February 2008, 11:42 PM
grant your picture no work