PDA

View Full Version : Driving so called high performance vehical on p's

aeke7086
6th February 2008, 06:32 PM
can some one give me the low down on what the deal with driving a high performance vehical
on p plates.

i got red stickered then fined for driving a high performance vehical on my p's

if you had owned the vehical before the law came in dose this change anything???

any help would be appreciated.

I'm in NSW too

thanks

AO86
6th February 2008, 06:56 PM
if u had ur licence before the law came in u are exempt

was car defected the one in ur sig? if so thats f***d

HRV-00S
6th February 2008, 06:57 PM
I was under the impression the if you owned the car before the laws came into effect then you would be all good, I think it has to be registered in your name. Thats in NSW my mates got a STI subby and he's on his (was on) P's and had no problems.

ae86rally
6th February 2008, 07:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HRV-00S @ Feb 6 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=481479)</div>
I was under the impression the if you owned the car before the laws came into effect then you would be all good, I think it has to be registered in your name. Thats in NSW my mates got a STI subby and he's on his (was on) P's and had no problems.[/b]

He should still have to apply for an exemption. then they take into consideration if he had the car before the rule came in, not if he bought it before he got his licence. Exemptions are a bullshit revenue raising scheme. No you can't drive that car, oh but wait fill in this form and pay the fee and its ok. That look at things like if you family only has performance cars to drive and if you need to drive cars at work that nay be high performance.
Its all garbage, you can drive a new 200kw Aurion but you can't drive an old 96 kw small v8 commodore.

Gunner
6th February 2008, 07:29 PM
the law is a crock, i got done dui, had my vl before hand, applied and had it declined. put it back to standard trim, no front mount n shit, and was denied again. the law is shit, i can wipe myself out just as easily in a standard corolla.

the law is, an l or p plater cannot drive a vehicle of performance orientation, turbo or supercharged, and must not have any more then 6 cyl, any car classed as a performance car is in the prohibited section supplied by the rta.

also no modifications what so ever. oh and they are going after atmo performance 4 like type r's

and if u are over the age of 25 u r exempt from these laws, once u have cleared ur red p's

meadan
6th February 2008, 09:08 PM
It should say on the back of your license whether you are restricted from the high performance cars and stuff.
I think thats all they go by, and they probly wont care if youve owned the car since you were 10.

sdm86
6th February 2008, 10:29 PM
oh the joys of living in West Oz

yoshimitsu9
6th February 2008, 10:42 PM
doesent the rule apply of 125kw/tonne in NSW? we have that in vic so i spose if you got your licence before the laws, driving a gze sprinter would be illegal for p platers?

Gunner
6th February 2008, 10:52 PM
nope nsw fucked up, at first they even banned daihatsu copens cause they were turbo, and left lotus elises as eligible, it has been tidied up since but they have done it wrong, should be setup the same way bikes are, all about power to weight

yoshimitsu9
6th February 2008, 11:10 PM
thats rediculous^^^^^ lotus elise= mini super car

i know in melb daihatsu cappucinos are illegal for power to weight even with their whopping 770cc engine...

hilton
6th February 2008, 11:17 PM
i know that in qld if you have any proofe that you owned the car before you got your p's on the new laws you are allowed to get a um,,,forget whats its called??? so that you can drive it:)

hilton
6th February 2008, 11:18 PM
exemtion????

think thats it.

but yeh, fuck the laws man I'm building a 250kw gze on my p's.

riojin
6th February 2008, 11:54 PM
even if it was a power to weight ratio of 125kw/tonne a gze ae86 would still wouldn't comply.

its a Suzuki Cappuccino not a Daihatsu. Its got a 657cc DOHC turbo engine (which produces 47kw) not a 770cc. It also weights 700kg. These are under the exemption rule in NSW for turbo petrol powered cars a P-plater can legally drive, which i think is because no P-plater would want to drive one.

They were produced as a Kei-Car (yellow plates in Japan) which mean its light-weight. I personally feel theyre awesome cars. FR format and light-weight=win. Ive seen some crazy stuff done to them like a 20V turbo dropped in one. Theyre even more of a death trap than an 86.

sprintdaddy
7th February 2008, 01:11 AM
FUCK i love my open licence :D

slide86
7th February 2008, 01:21 AM
what was the high performance vehicle you were driving?

biggo
7th February 2008, 03:32 PM
cops = law

better do what they say

aeke7086
7th February 2008, 04:32 PM
i was driving my old ae86(pic in my aviator). ive sold it since.
he called it high performace. cause it had a 4age, which had been blue slipped, engine no.s changed etc.

Gunner
7th February 2008, 05:15 PM
^^^ thats not right

tho technically we r not allowed to modify cars to improve performance so it is right but wrong

ae86rally
7th February 2008, 11:42 PM
I can't find it on the list of prohibited vehicles, so you can drive any front wheel drive corolla that came out with a 4age or a levin or Trueno but because yours came out without a 4age you can't drive it. technically its corrrect as its modified but so wrong.
The list is poorly put together too, apparently an E49 charger is ok to drive as it not on the list. If it was me and I had the money I'd be fighting it.

Gunner
8th February 2008, 08:29 AM
^^^ exactly, the government put absolutely no effort into these laws, they could have bought in laws like a driving course that would actually save lives, but no that would giv p platers too much confidence on the road, don't these dicks realise that they are already over confident and the lack of experience is what kills.

WANKERS is what i say

eastcoastdrifter
8th February 2008, 08:54 AM
actually its a grey area you are allowed a engine swap aslong as it the same displacement and no more then 15% more powerful (as said by local RTA person)

Gunner
8th February 2008, 11:23 AM
not bein an ass hole dude, but when i first started dealin with this shit, i was told i wouldn't be able to apply for an exemption, and for me to try it would be ovr $100 by the local rta person (liverpool they suk there) but anyone can apply and its only $25, don't trust em. ask the police not the dumb bitch b ehind the counter, theyre not the ones fining u

simonster
8th February 2008, 01:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeke7086 @ Feb 7 2008, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=482026)</div>
i was driving my old ae86(pic in my aviator). ive sold it since.
he called it high performace. cause it had a 4age, which had been blue slipped, engine no.s changed etc.[/b]

Thats not right???? P-plated are banned from driving highperformance V6+ and turbo or supercharged. 4age is only a 4 cyclinder and if your 4age is stock as a rock i don't see why it would be consider high performance..

Gunner
8th February 2008, 02:00 PM
because its been subjected to an engine conversion, p plater in nsw are not allowed to modify a vehicle performance what so ever, technically they can take the car over a pod filter, wheels lowering and paint are ok within reason, but anything that will alter engine performance is banned, even if the motor remains stock

sotiros86
8th February 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm on my red Ps, and my mate has just finished building/restoring himself a 1972 Valiant Charger which looks totally stock. But it is full of forged internals, performance cams, pistons n shit n performance carby. It makes about 160rwkw. But the engine looks stock, so they have nothing against him.

Yet a 4agze sprinter making like 1/2 the power isnt allowed. It is farkin stupid. NSW RTA are a bunch of farkin nobs

Basically you can't drive a supercharged, turbo or v8 engine unless its diesel. But there are heaps of other bullshit laws saying what cars are included in the 'hi-po' vehicle list

eastcoastdrifter
8th February 2008, 05:58 PM
don't drive like a dick,

always where your seatbelt,

don't wear a cap,

don't have a milo can as a muffler,

bright colours went of fashion in late 90s so paint your car white black or inbetween or keep your car OEM

and you will be fine

sotiros86
8th February 2008, 10:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eastcoastdrifter @ Feb 8 2008, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=482640)</div>
don't drive like a dick,

don't wear a cap,

bright colours went of fashion in late 90s so paint your car white black or inbetween or keep your car OEM

and you will be fine[/b]

awesome ideas there mate. basically if cops don't think they can get you for something then they wont worry. Just be sensible and as you said don't drive like a dick

cuzzo
9th February 2008, 10:52 AM
Just wouldn't want to get a random breast test.

ae71neo
9th February 2008, 10:56 AM
Tranny ^ ?

riojin
9th February 2008, 04:17 PM
BURN! :owned:

rich_86
9th February 2008, 06:32 PM
strangely enough most of the lotus's are still allowed on p plates as the are na and are light so don't need much power if you can afford one...

sprintdaddy
11th February 2008, 06:14 PM
Flame me for this if you will but in my opinion most p- platers should be driving nothing better than a daewoo or diahatsu until they learn something called respect for other road users, driving a real car is not like playing "need for speed" or "grand theft auto" your actions have consequences so stop your fucking whinging and grow up.

Klutch
11th February 2008, 06:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sprintdaddy @ Feb 11 2008, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=483924)</div>
Flame me for this if you will but in my opinion most p- platers should be driving nothing better than a daewoo or diahatsu until they learn something called respect for other road users, driving a real car is not like playing "need for speed" or "grand theft auto" your actions have consequences so stop your fucking whinging and grow up.[/b]
People are going to be dickheads, no matter what car they're in.

cuzzo
11th February 2008, 06:26 PM
But you have to learn experience from somewhere?

if you do 40kms everywhere surely you can't learn much from that? Maybe just defensive driving cause everyone will hate you. :)

The_81
11th February 2008, 07:59 PM
people in daewoo's and the shit cars are the idiots cuse they don't give two f**ks about crashing it.
if it's a nice car they'll be scared of crashing it

haikii
11th February 2008, 08:33 PM
erm. no. thats not always the case....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_81 @ Feb 11 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=484018)</div>
people in daewoo's and the shit cars are the idiots cuse they don't give two f**ks about crashing it.
if it's a nice car they'll be scared of crashing it[/b]

oni
13th February 2008, 07:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eastcoastdrifter @ Feb 8 2008, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=482640)</div>
don't drive like a dick,

don't wear a cap,

and you will be fine[/b]

so true, and not playing rap music heaps loud also helps!