PDA

View Full Version : Swapping motors

Skid_Panda
7th February 2008, 02:14 AM
Hey guys, in the coming days I will be picking up a Ke70 and I am keen on doing a 4AGE heart transplant :D
But heres the thing I'm not as mechanically knowledgeable about cars as some others lol :P I no the basics and how to change minor things over and so forth, but would not have a clue about how to attempt an engine swap ^_^

First of all, what would be the main parts I would need to do such a conversion ? is there anything I have to do to the shell of the car to fit/hold a 4AGE ? or is it pretty much all bolt in ?

I'd be more inclined to pay someone to do the conversion for me, rather than do it with a mate that thinks 22" chrome wheels would look mint on a sprinter -_- even if he does no a fair bit :)

Also how much do you guys think it would cost to get someone to change the motor over ? unless one of you guys feel like doing it :P *Points* (I'd pay you, and offer red cordial on demand)

Well thats pretty much it really folks :rolleyes:

Ah! I'm also new here, the names Josh, 17, live in Brisbane and I go watch the drifting at Archi and QR a fair bit :D if you see me at an event pop over and say hi, I'm like 6"7 and have super saiyan hair, so you wont miss me <_<

Cheers Skid_Panda

Javal
7th February 2008, 03:06 AM
Ohhi, welcome to AE86DC!

The main parts you'll need for a KE70 to 4AGE conversion ARE:

AE71 / AE86 Crossmember + engine mounts (mounts available from repco / sprints or the like)
4AGE (JDM bluetop is easiest)
wiring loom
ECU
T-50 gearbox from an AE71 or AE86 WITH gearbox crossmember / mount (usually sold with them)
AE71 pedalbox
AE71 clutch master cyl
AE71 clutch solid line
AE71 clutch slave cyl

errr....

probably more bits and shits than that, i can't think properly atm

will post again in the morning, but those are the basics.

Skid_Panda
7th February 2008, 08:19 AM
sweet, thanks for the help dude :D Doesn't seem like you need that much stuff really. Yea also how much do you think it would cost me to get someone to do it for me ? ^_^

johl
7th February 2008, 12:06 PM
yeh it is a bit harder to drop one in a ke70 as u need different gearbox, crossmember and u need to change to a hydraulic clutch. i think there is a conversion package for sale now that will help u out heaps. u also have to change the fuel system cuz its not leaded carby anymore. as for costs it really depends how much u do. basically u should be able to get the old engine out put the new gearbox and cross member in, maybe even do the clutch and pedal box conversion urself(wiki is ur friend) and sit the new motor in so that all someone has to do is wire everything up.

these cars are old and pretty basic, i didnt know a thing about cars till i bought one. u can pretty much just look at what is holding the engine in and unbolt it. its not too hard and there is alot of info out there

Skid_Panda
7th February 2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks for that johl ^_^ yea I reckon once I get started, I should be right :) and there are a few car smart people around my block so if I do happen to run into some trouble i'm sure they would help me out :D

Anyways guys thanks for your help :D

Gullie
8th February 2008, 03:32 PM
it really isnt that difficult man. just have a crack at it!

gumbie
8th February 2008, 06:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Feb 7 2008, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=481762)</div>
Ohhi, welcome to AE86DC!

The main parts you'll need for a KE70 to 4AGE conversion ARE:

AE71 / AE86 Crossmember + engine mounts (mounts available from repco / sprints or the like)
4AGE (JDM bluetop is easiest)
wiring loom
ECU
T-50 gearbox from an AE71 or AE86 WITH gearbox crossmember / mount (usually sold with them)
AE71 pedalbox
AE71 clutch master cyl
AE71 clutch solid line
AE71 clutch slave cyl

errr....

probably more bits and shits than that, i can't think properly atm

will post again in the morning, but those are the basics.[/b]

Pretty sure you will also need an AE71 tailshaft
if your 4AGE is a front wheel drive motor you will need rear wheel drive manifolds waterpump etc