PDA

View Full Version : Aboriginal Apology

Jonny Rochester
12th February 2008, 09:41 PM
Here is a link to the forum rules:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...?showtopic=5101 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/index.php?showtopic=5101)

I just saw it says no racial or sexist comments or abuse. So I guess we had better stick to that.

driftke70
12th February 2008, 10:36 PM
unneeded, unjustified, cause more trouble than its worth, was put off for a reason, was only instated to get 250.000 more votes.

Hokey
12th February 2008, 10:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driftke70 @ Feb 12 2008, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=484977)</div>
unneeded, unjustified, cause more trouble than its worth, was put off for a reason, was only instated to get 250.000 more votes.[/b]
x2

as if it wasn't the right thing to do. many aboriginals haven't mixed well with european culture and suffer substance abuse which cause a shitty place to grow up in and just keeps going from generation to generation

Ru-iki
12th February 2008, 10:48 PM
Sorely needed, justified, , overdue and not enough really. I'm now prouder to be an Aussie.

Jonny Rochester
12th February 2008, 11:12 PM
I think there would only be 2 or 3 on this forum that are old enough or mature enough to understand how Australia has changed in the last 30 years. White Australia polocy anyone? Even having Ernie Dingo on TV (as comical as that sounds) has been a step forward for Aboriginals. Because before the 90s (if anyone can remember?) there had not been any confident TV presenters that were aboriginal. In the 80s, there were no TV programs made and produced by aboriginals. There was a positive shift in Australia in the 90's, SBS etc.. and slowly confident edjucated aboriginals had their own TV programs etc...

Just as the public apology is a step forward, it could not have happened unless people had started to ask for that back in the 90's.

The apology is not about money, or numbers, or guilt or court cases. It is about a emotional position, to allow everyone to feel a part of the country. Aboriginals think differently, and we need to start to understand this. It's not all about money. Its about ownership of all sorts of abstract things.

eastcoastdrifter
12th February 2008, 11:29 PM
god there is even a A channel on FOX which is 100% dedicated to Aboriginal TV

I just don't think its justified that because there aboriginal they should get all these benifits if they want equality then let them work for it

driftke70
12th February 2008, 11:30 PM
i just don't believe in reverting past a neutral racism stance. Where people are treated better because of their heritage or their nationality.

Put it this way, if they WERE white, it wouldn't have even been an issue, australia would have been won by the british, now a commonwealth country yada yada yada, just like every other country in the world that was ever originally established. Only time you ever hear about problems is when there is colour involved, such as the american indians, the africans etc etc. It doesnt just happen because the land was once originally owned by their ancestors, in the uk for example, people of african decent recieve handouts. Africa, they "take" handouts, in america, they are given.

If aboriginals were as sincere as they pretend to be about how important these things are to them, they wouldn't desecrate the land they have, they would unite and spread a unified message, instead of having 1 or 2 half cast members do all the talking. If its truely what they believe and want, an apology, then give them that, but an apology does not include any money, and hand outs, no land, no special treatment.

It comes down to, where are you prepared to draw the line?

Jonny Rochester
12th February 2008, 11:35 PM
Times have changed alot within our own lifetime.

Sherlock
12th February 2008, 11:36 PM
And unfortunately will continue doing so...hopefully changes for the better

Ru-iki
13th February 2008, 12:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driftke70 @ Feb 12 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485016)</div>
i just don't believe in reverting past a neutral racism stance. Where people are treated better because of their heritage or their nationality.

Put it this way, if they WERE white, it wouldn't have even been an issue, australia would have been won by the british, now a commonwealth country yada yada yada, just like every other country in the world that was ever originally established. Only time you ever hear about problems is when there is colour involved, such as the american indians, the africans etc etc. It doesnt just happen because the land was once originally owned by their ancestors, in the uk for example, people of african decent recieve handouts. Africa, they "take" handouts, in america, they are given.

If aboriginals were as sincere as they pretend to be about how important these things are to them, they wouldn't desecrate the land they have, they would unite and spread a unified message, instead of having 1 or 2 half cast members do all the talking. If its truely what they believe and want, an apology, then give them that, but an apology does not include any money, and hand outs, no land, no special treatment.

It comes down to, where are you prepared to draw the line?[/b]

You seem to overlook the fact that if you want to be perfectly honest, its their island and we came over and took it.

I know its now, 220 years later but we continue to profit from this 'endeavour' now.

Therefore, they most definitely get their apology, and I think every Australian can feel a little bit more at peace on these shores, and accept Aboriginal people as equal people with equal rights.

Would you like to be judged by the standards of the worst members of your race?

eastcoastdrifter
13th February 2008, 01:00 AM
there not equal though if they were then where is the rest of australia's free benifits and entitlements

I was born here so I'm as australian as ernie dingo and cathy freeman (both great role models though not trying to single them out. can't really think of any other aboriginals)

FLT LNR
13th February 2008, 02:18 AM
Ah i figured out what happened to this thread.... jonny rochester is a mod. thank god.

won't try to restate my erased post, but yeah, this event is a fantastic step in the right direction.

my mum was watching the news when i was at her place, it was talking about rudd's apology... and she was crying.

i asked her "what's wrong"

and she said "nothings wrong, we have leadership..... at last"

FLT LNR
13th February 2008, 02:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ru-iki @ Feb 12 2008, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=484987)</div>
Sorely needed, justified, , overdue and not enough really. I'm now prouder to be an Aussie.[/b]

+1 million. the post above this one ( #13 ) makes me depressed. you sir, in contrast, are a scholar and a gentleman.

FLT LNR
13th February 2008, 03:10 AM
I'm sorry mate but I don't want the topic deleted again. Please do your own research, as a side-note look up "generalisation", "vilification", and "gullibility". I'm honestly not being impolite. Just suggesting helpful pathways. This is such an important topic in fact, just PM me, so that we don't create any need for the topic to be removed from the forum.

FLT LNR
13th February 2008, 03:54 AM
ah ok i get ya.... your concern lies with excessive monetary compensation.

i was pretty sure rudd already said there would be no $$$ compensation.

i agree compensation in terms of dollar figures would be a nightmare to implement.

also, this didnt happen 'hundreds of years ago' it happened into the early 60s. there are people who are less than 50 years old who were snatched from their parents for having the wrong shade of skin. amazing, sad, true. imagine if your mum was in a poor community in the 50s or early 60s as a baby, and her skin was a bit different from her folks.... she would have been grabbed, and you wouldn't exist... thus is the magnitude of this thing. it's fucking enormous, affecting AT LEAST Fifty Thousand individuals. and to prove i'm not a Labor party suck up, it was the howard govt which investigated and came up with that number...in the "bringing them home" report.

i see where you are coming from with the govt shelling out dollars, it would be too hit and miss....

but yeah, I'm of the view that if they could find all those kiddies snatched from thier folks, then giving them all a few bob would be more worthwhile than say, staying in iraq. but thats another issue, and our placements in AFGANISTAN and EAST TIMOR are fucking vital. DON'T LET the govt pull out of afganistan or timor. those places NEED US.

driftke70
13th February 2008, 08:25 AM
jdm dreamr anyone who supports rudd the dudd is a douche in my books, but you seem to be more than supporting him, your mom sounds like she wants his willy, for her to buy this shit, and it to rub off on you is sad.

you seem to be forgetting they have had like 6 apologies, everytime more compensation is brought out.
might have something to do with the aboriginal workers union, which probably consists of about 3.

you all seemed to completely miss the point of my first post.

there might be some that were affected 50 years ago, there are white Australians being affected the same way and they arnt getting apologies and compensation. But at the end of the day, do you think they are even concerned, all they see is dollar signs. Mark my words, this apology WILL be hand in hand with payouts.

Ru-iki
13th February 2008, 08:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4agteketo @ Feb 13 2008, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485082)</div>
yes, hundreds of years ago they were taken from families.....I'm not disputing that fact and i don't think anyone is[/b]

Wow you really know your history. You are so qualified to have an opinion, with all the research you've done.

Beally - Can I ask how your parents feel about the issue? Same as you do? Funny that.

Are you guys saying that we don't owe them anything for the land? The resources we pull from the ground, never to give back?

I think if we all got past this idea that we don't owe Australias Indigenous people anything, and realised we owe them almost everything, compensation wouldn't be a huge concern.

Can I rock up to anyones house, with a swag of weapons, diseases you've never been exposed to and drugs for all? So I'm fine to just keep the place and take over. If you have a problem adjusting Ill steal your children and judge you to be a degenerate. Fine by you then?

Half the reason there are so few well educated, professional Aboriginal people is because most families were torn apart and we forced the children into the care of Christian organizations. All the young people around today are the children of this generation.

Being good Christians, we forced the kids to behave like little white children, allowing the remnants of indigenous culture to be wiped out almost within a single generation. Nothing we can do can ever correct the wrongs of the past but honestly, this apology is about people knowing the issue is far bigger than our need to not feel responsible for days past.

Jason
13th February 2008, 09:38 AM
If you have a look at what 'age' they where in once the white setterlers where here. It may provide some insight. They were in a stone-age, many of the tribes (TAS) had not even discovered double sided cutting tools. (Only sharp on one side) Nomads and had not learnt to cultivate any meat or vegetables.

Now we come along and force them to suddenly advance through the ages thousands of years. Into 'civilization' you can see there is going to be issues. And not amount of money/compensation is going to help.

This dosnt justify anything, but maybe people will look at it more intelligently.

As for the guy who said hundreds of years ago... :2thumbs: right on...

86adz
13th February 2008, 10:01 AM
Soz Abos

sdm86
13th February 2008, 12:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (86adz @ Feb 13 2008, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485141)</div>
Soz Abos[/b]

rofl +2

Beau
13th February 2008, 02:39 PM
have to say i don't have much beef cause any one person is capble of anything including bad, good, lazy and whatever but it kinda annoyed me today when i got my UNI pack in the mail for 21+ and noticed how much bull crap i gotta go through just to get in, YET if you are a Aboriginal or Torres straight Islander you can get into UNI and only have to sit a basic test and a interview. I was just amazed by this fact, if i was in that postion i'd be enrolling in everything and becoming the smartest man alive! mmmmm Peanut M&M's

stefan
13th February 2008, 03:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4agteketo @ Feb 12 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485205)</div>
hahahaha, i caused the reaction that i wanted...perfect...

if the aboriginals get ANY form of payout then australia has failed....

they already get massive handouts as it is, and it has ruined their pathetic undeveloped minds....

and don't give me this shit about them being uneducated because me made them that way.....that is a load of shit...they get free public education which is something white kids don't get, so how are we stopping them from being educated?

they are just a lazy race as a whole, they don't want to evolve and merge into society, they want to keep their own culture and heritage...."NO WORRIES"...but if thats the case then STOP THE FUCKING HANDOUTS...

and to anyone who says I'm not read up on the subject, bite me...if you don't like my views and my opinion then don't READ THEM.....

bottom line of my point.... NO HANDOUTS FOR THE UNGREATFUL MONEY GRABBERS[/b]

well said

seriously, what have they don't for australia?

any major inventions,big discoveries?

i see alot of abbos in the adelaide cbd gooning on the really cbfed working coz the life is easy to milk out the govt for freebies

they get free uni but choose not to go

and with the hand outs they give em to white people,who claim to be coon!

they goverment would be alot better off with out wasting money

there not a very good looking race one of the more ugly ones

and now we have alot of new blacks here put into pockets of adelaide slowly turning each suburb ghetto!

i really don't give a F&*K but the bleeding hearts

if white australia policy was enforce we would be a much better nation!

The_81
13th February 2008, 03:40 PM
what happens when a country is invaded.
just throwing it out there

do the german give handouts to jews that live in there country?

and what would happen if the chinese took this country it was destined to be taken......prove me wrong

I WILL AGREE THAT I HAVE LITTLE KNOWLEDGE ON THE TOPIC
but i am throwing it out there and hope people get what i am trying to say

The_81
13th February 2008, 03:58 PM
i find some of the things being said quite offensive
i believe they should get equal rights but since when does equal rights mean getting freebies
YES say sorry.....but eliminate all handouts and remove aboriginal or torres straight islander box off forms. MAKE IT EQUAL
i am only slightly racist and i will admit that....it has rubbed off on me from adults
but does that stop me from hanging out with aboriginals...NO, because hard to believe some of them are cool
from what i have noticed on countless talks on this topic is that most of the racism is because they get handouts/freebies.
The shocking thing is, all the adults i know don't have a problem with abroignals that run a business or work hard or are out bush and follow their original culture

I hope use guys understand what i am tryin to say

Matt-AE86
13th February 2008, 03:59 PM
There was a post in here before that i read and thought was very well put forward and said. It was fare and honest. not racist and dead like most.

RobertoX
13th February 2008, 04:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slippry @ Feb 13 2008, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485318)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4agteketo @ Feb 12 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485205)
hahahaha, i caused the reaction that i wanted...perfect...

if the aboriginals get ANY form of payout then australia has failed....

they already get massive handouts as it is, and it has ruined their pathetic undeveloped minds....

and don't give me this shit about them being uneducated because me made them that way.....that is a load of shit...they get free public education which is something white kids don't get, so how are we stopping them from being educated?

they are just a lazy race as a whole, they don't want to evolve and merge into society, they want to keep their own culture and heritage...."NO WORRIES"...but if thats the case then STOP THE FUCKING HANDOUTS...

and to anyone who says I'm not read up on the subject, bite me...if you don't like my views and my opinion then don't READ THEM.....

bottom line of my point.... NO HANDOUTS FOR THE UNGREATFUL MONEY GRABBERS[/b]

well said

seriously, what have they don't for australia?

any major inventions,big discoveries?

i see alot of abbos in the adelaide cbd gooning on the really cbfed working coz the life is easy to milk out the govt for freebies

they get free uni but choose not to go

and with the hand outs they give em to white people,who claim to be coon!

they goverment would be alot better off with out wasting money

there not a very good looking race one of the more ugly ones

and now we have alot of new blacks here put into pockets of adelaide slowly turning each suburb ghetto!

i really don't give a F&*K but the bleeding hearts

if white australia policy was enforce we would be a much better nation!
[/b][/quote]

dude can you claim to be ''coon'' and get some free uni cos i cannot struggle through another one of your posts without having to think exactly wtf you are on about

Matt-AE86
13th February 2008, 04:03 PM
But comments such as Dave's are actually funny.

RobertoX
13th February 2008, 04:05 PM
slippry can you go on mod preview so i can edit your posts

you type your exact thoughts loL!

JinxD
13th February 2008, 04:57 PM
when i was 12 i used to ride bmx with a couple of white mates from school and 4 aboriginals from another school .. everything was fine they were realy good blokes and even taught me abit of aboriginal and some bush skills at that time pretty much just like anyother normal kids they even thought aboriginal jokes were pretty funny lol wich was kinda weird anyhow they were all fine untill they started mixing with the older half cast derros in high school all of a sudden they never went to school started smokeing bongs all the time and god knows what else so i was forced to disasociate with them. then about 2 years later i was waiting for a train when i saw one of them that used to know anyhow i didnt say hi because he looked pretty dodgey now wearing all this gangsta shit and whatnot looking pretty fryed next thing i know his behind my mate asking him to borrow/steal his phone so i turned around to him and said ninni is that you and his like yeh blah blah blah anyway we didnt get mugged in the end.. but what I'm trying to say is its like the older genration seems to currupt the younger generation like a viciouse circle but there is some good ones out there and they seam to say the same thing about there comunity but you carnt just hate an intire race of people thats fucking rediculose but yeh derro's abos give me the shits

af300e
13th February 2008, 05:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jdm_dreamr @ Feb 13 2008, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485070)</div>
my mum was watching the news when i was at her place, it was talking about rudd's apology... and she was crying.

i asked her "what's wrong"

and she said "nothings wrong, we have leadership..... at last"[/b]

Yes, brings a tear to my eye, the poor woman has been brainwashed....................

But you are right, it is Rudd's apology. It must be, because it sure as hell isn't mine. It was blatantly politicised (by Kevin Rudd and his back-turning supporters), an enormous mistake which detracts from its intended but misguided intent.

While he's at it, he should apolgise to all the victims of crime who must sit by and watch as the criminal who perhaps raped and murdered their 4 year old daughter is sentanced to 9 years jail, to the alter boys who were raped by priests and a plethora of other victims of happenings with which he and I have had nothing to do.

This is a step forward in the propaganda stakes only. This apology will not help the Aboriginal baby starving while its parents are passed out drunk in the street. It will not help the Aboriginal 5 year old girl who is pack raped by Aboriginal men in one of their so called "communities". It will not help the young Aboriginal man who is locked up for being drunk and then feels there is no way out but to hang himself
These are the people that the system has let down, these are the people who are as good as fucked under Kevin Rudd.

This apology is nothing more than pandering to the bleeding hearts. It does nothing in terms of real-world remedy and it is in fact, as this thread supremely illustrates, more divisive than it is unifying.

Anthony
13th February 2008, 05:15 PM
af300e for PM. really well put!

The debate isn't anywhere near as cut and dried as people make out.

Just take it for what it is. An apology from the government for an ill conceived (if partially well intended) piece of legislation.

af300e
13th February 2008, 07:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anthony @ Feb 13 2008, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485420)</div>
af300e for PM.[/b]

Ok, here's my first policy.............actually, fuck policies, I need a slogan. That seems to be what gets you elected in Australia.

AF08 sounds too much like a toyota chassis code. Back to the drawing board!

rich_86
13th February 2008, 07:40 PM
80,000 years of culture and what did they acheive honestly... like nothing at all..no offence but the english, europeans and other countries where out on fucking ships exploring the world while they blks were still after 80,000 not even building houses or shelter jus walking around....fcuk the romans even had plumbing systems and that was not that long ago....so to be honest i think white settlement was the best thing that happened to them and they should be thankful...granted there are some decent ones around but there are very few...that is all

Klutch
13th February 2008, 07:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485534)</div>
blks were still after 80,000 not even building houses or shelter jus walking around[/b]
They had humpy's.

rich_86
13th February 2008, 07:44 PM
wtf is a humpy???

rich_86
13th February 2008, 07:45 PM
if its some sort of house is would not compare to anything of the european or english standard of the time

Klutch
13th February 2008, 07:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485541)</div>
if its some sort of house is would not compare to anything of the european or english standard of the time[/b]
Its a little tent type of thing made out of sticks.

And yes. But they had shelter..even if it wasn't advanced.

rich_86
13th February 2008, 08:05 PM
thats the point 80,000 years and little to no advancement...and only rock paintings to prove there existence...my gf used to work at a bakery at cab town one night she had a 13 yr blk come up and ask if he could use the phone cause he think he might have stabbed someone....a few nights later a blk woman was screaming at top note to a dead beat looking guy (bout 45 - 50 years old) about intoxicating her 12 and 13 yr old daughters and having sex with them...and then accusing him of apparently running her down...and the same week she was threatened to be followed home by a 20ish blk if she didnt give him a bread roll...rofl...i also worked a service station for 3 yrs in morayfield and the amount of shit the blks used to try and steal was funny...plz note as i am white i was also called a blk cnut by some blk lady cause i called the police on her shit of a kid that tried to steal from the servo...none of the blk kids came back after i locked them in the store one day while they tried to steal shit and told them no one is leaving until all the shit is back on the shelves neatly or i am calling the cops 2 mins later it was back on the shelves...best one was this blk guy bout 17 - 18 that had so obviously stole some things...he comes up to pay for 1 item of 5 (rest in his pockets) and then i ask him bout the other products he has and he talks like he has never done anything wrong and how dare i accuse him off stealing this went on for five mins...until i picked up the phone adn started dialing the local police number and then wow all the products came out....how strange...then threatened to wait outside the store until i finished 7.5 hrs later to beat me up he gave up after five mins...i miss the good times had there

vf24
13th February 2008, 08:07 PM
Need to put it in perspective - imagine you were born aboriginal with thick aboriginal features. Then try to tell me it would not have made a difference to your life at all and SORRY - you would be a liar. Imagine walking in to a job interview and the whole panel drops thier eyes and you know you don't have a chance. You have already been labelled a bludger.

You can't tell me you would swap your white euro features for easy access to uni and some handouts if it meant looking distinctly aboriginal for the rest of your life - wake up to yourselves!

Ke70alex
13th February 2008, 08:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485534)</div>
80,000 years of culture and what did they acheive honestly... like nothing at all..no offence but the english, europeans and other countries where out on fucking ships exploring the world while they blks were still after 80,000 not even building houses or shelter jus walking around....fcuk the romans even had plumbing systems and that was not that long ago....so to be honest i think white settlement was the best thing that happened to them and they should be thankful...granted there are some decent ones around but there are very few...that is all[/b]
unbelievable..mind boggelingly simplistic way of viewing the world and it history :2thumbs: let me guess? you probably found school a little challenging at times?

rich_86
13th February 2008, 09:08 PM
well is it not true????

Jonny Rochester
13th February 2008, 09:19 PM
Not sure. Show us your school report.

rich_86
13th February 2008, 09:26 PM
well smart people what did they achieve in 80,000 years???

patience
13th February 2008, 09:32 PM
It makes me sad that there are so many racist and backward people still kicking in this country.
90% of the comments in here have been pointless and pointed out misguided historical facts that have been perpetuated through years of racist upbringings (I could daresay driftke70s father or mother has a grudge against aboriginals).
Instead of spouting useless dribble that your mates regurgitated in the pub, or your redneck father brings up every time he gets on the XXXX... go and do some reading on the issue.

The only problem I had with this apology is that he said sorry on behalf of the Australian people. As I am 21, I have nothing to be sorry for as I had no involvement in the white australia policy, stolen generation or any previous wrongdoings against aboriginal people.
However, the context in which sorry was said changed my mind.
You can be sorry for someone if their father dies.
I am sorry that aboriginal people have suffered such indignation for centuries. Not personally, I feel I owe them nothing.

And to all the numbnuts that blindly claim that this will lead to compensation... educate yourselves.
The Rudd government has had extensive legal counsel making sure that this apology will not leave the Australian people or the government liable to compensation claims. Some aboriginals will seek it, and make all the rednecks run shivering to their homes in fear of multi billion dollar lawsuits, but it will never happen people.

Unfortunately, the large amount of people who witnessed this today will think that all is well and old wounds have been healed.
No, it is just a first step that was needed towards a united future.
What the Rudd government needs to do now is capitilise on todays precedings by taking positive, real life action in solving the problem with indigenous culture.
There are many other points I would like to make but I'll look at what other people have to say.

One final note: This would not have been a big deal if John Howard had just bitten the bullet and apologised 12 years ago, end of story.

HachiRoku
13th February 2008, 09:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485617)</div>
well smart people what did they achieve in 80,000 years???[/b]

Sustainability?

patience
13th February 2008, 09:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485617)</div>
Europeans weren't much better off in a shared continent 84,000 years ago.

Aboriginals were on an isolated island remember. No trade, emigration/immigration etc means no rapid developement.
Btw did you drop out of school in year 10 mate?

egg_83
13th February 2008, 09:35 PM
I myself believe there should be no pay out but there should be re education of the younger generation to bring them into the general community and out of the aboriginal communities. Also what howard done in the end of his term in nt was the right call as any child that is at a high risk of harm should be protected as they cannot do it them selves its not another stolen generation. Just my opinion any everyone has a right to there own

Micknofx
13th February 2008, 09:37 PM
Over 80,000 years they were completely carbon nuetral :P

But seriously an apology is a good thing, the current head of the australian govenment needs to apologize for the past mistakes the same as a new CEO has to apologize to shareholders after the last guy fucked off to greece with all thier money - beacuse that person is the new representative of the entity that did them wrong. In no way did I feel I was apologizing today but I felt very strongly that Rudd did the right thing, people can bitch about his speeches content but at the end of the day it had to happen and pobody's nerfect.

People who claim there are all sorts of other people who should be compensated eg: Irish children taken from thier familys at a similar time should just take comfort in the extra 15 - 20 years longer (on apporx average without putting in the effort to look up exact figures) they'll get to spend on this earth thinking about what they'd spend thier compo on If they were given any.

Jonny Rochester
13th February 2008, 09:37 PM
Bush tucker, extensive knowledge of animals and food.
Bush maintainance. Controled fires.
Tracking.
Survival
Languages.
The boomerang?

Any outdoors type person trying to survive the outback on their own will seek aboriginal knowledge on all sorts of issues. I am told...

HachiRoku
13th February 2008, 09:42 PM
Anybody remember a show called Bush Mechanics? Outback ingenuity, 'ghetto style' car fixes in the middle of the desert. Mostly old Falcons and shit, but very entertaining all the same.

patience
13th February 2008, 09:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MickNOFX @ Feb 13 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485629)</div>
Over 80,000 years they were completely carbon nuetral :P

But seriously an apology is a good thing, the current head of the australian govenment needs to apologize for the past mistakes the same as a new CEO has to apologize to shareholders after the last guy fucked off to greece with all thier money - beacuse that person is the new representative of the entity that did them wrong. In no way did I feel I was apologizing today but I felt very strongly that Rudd did the right thing, people can bitch about his speeches content but at the end of the day it had to happen and pobody's nerfect.

People who claim there are all sorts of other people who should be compensated eg: Irish children taken from thier familys at a similar time should just take comfort in the extra 15 - 20 years longer (on apporx average without putting in the effort to look up exact figures) they'll get to spend on this earth thinking about what they'd spend thier compo on If they were given any.[/b]

Well said mate.
Good to see there are actually some educated people on this site besides the mods.

rich_86
13th February 2008, 09:46 PM
fuck this stupid green house gas fukin crap I'm so over everyone whingin about get off it i doubt any sprinters met the current european emissions standards...so thus either stop complaing or stop drivng ur 86 and but a fortwo smart or better jus walk barefoot (shoes = production = pollution) also no clothes or breathing and you shall be also carbon neutal after your body decomposes...and yes i finished high school...what stopped them from advancing on there own country???? everything they need was here...but they didnt

rich_86
13th February 2008, 09:49 PM
can anyone also tell me what the sun is made off???? I'm pretty sure it a huge fucking ball off burning carbon...am i right???

Ru-iki
13th February 2008, 09:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485617)</div>

They were content, that is enough. Its evident that most of you aren't capable of deep thinking.

Oh they had a shit life, coz they didn't have playstation after 80,000 years. lol. Get a clue. No wonder you all get bashed by black people, your all racist beyond belief. This wont stop until you wake up and stop repeating the gruff 1960s attitude that your old man learned from his old man. The same exact attitude that led to the stolen generation.

Oh black fullas can't raise their kids, they are too lazy blah blah. You guys are just like the people in the 1960s who caused all the problems we had to apologise for today. I bet if us white arseholes had never came to Australia then the aborigines would still be much the same, happy with the life they have made. You cannot compare the stone age undiscovered Aboriginie to the Germans fighting Britan. Two white nations on a fairly level playing field, both of the same race? How does that compare to some white Europeans colonizing a place which is already owned by Indigenous people.

Makes me sick. I have Aboriginal family, and many, many friends, and they are some of the most generous and forgiving people I have ever met. All the images of black people that get portrayed by you all make me sick. This is not the case if you would stop cowering in fear of them and talk to them.

In conclusion, the level of intelligence displayed in this thread is in general far below that which I would expect of Australians in 2008.

You all have no actual historical information on the topic, but you still gotta jump in and tell us how a blackfulla once tried to steal your phone.

That is so damn racist. I hope you all end up in prison someday, so you can realise that most of the scumbags in there aren't Aboriginies.

As far as the apology being politicised, of course it seems that way. Anything a PM does is political, simple as that. If Howard had done it you'd say the same thing. Good on Kevin Rudd for doing it as soon as he hit the Parliament. Thats very respectable, in my eyes.

don't forget who the majority of white Australians are descended from, a bunch of criminals so bad, they were shipped to the opposite side of the planet. Thats who you are if you are a white Australian. A fuckin convict. Now get off your high horse and realise you are scum, not a little prince like mummy always said.

Micknofx
13th February 2008, 09:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485639)</div>
fuck this stupid green house gas fukin crap I'm so over everyone whingin about get off it i doubt any sprinters met the current european emissions standards...so thus either stop complaing or stop drivng ur 86 and but a fortwo smart or better jus walk barefoot (shoes = production = pollution) also no clothes or breathing and you shall be also carbon neutal after your body decomposes...and yes i finished high school...what stopped them from advancing on there own country???? everything they need was here...but they didnt[/b]

I actually never passed high school but now earn a decent wage and am able to make posts relevant to the topic of a thread ;)

rich_86
13th February 2008, 09:56 PM
"You cannot compare the stone age undiscovered Aboriginie to the Germans fighting Britan. Two white nations on a fairly level playing field, both of the same race? How does that compare to some white Europeans colonizing a place which is already owned by Indigenous people."

so just because they are black means that they cannot be compared to whites?????

"You all have no actual historical information on the topic, but you still gotta jump in and tell us how a blackfulla once tried to steal your phone."

maybe its racist buts it true...

"don't forget who the majority of white Australians are descended from, a bunch of criminals so bad, they were shipped to the opposite side of the planet. Thats who you are if you are a white Australian. A fuckin convict. Now get off your high horse and realise you are scum, not a little prince like mummy always said. "

as for me good sir no convict 7th generation australia first generation being engineers so yep no convict in my blood...sorry to disappoint...

driftke70
13th February 2008, 10:01 PM
^ burning hydrogen,

i come from south africa, of course my view is going to be a little swayed, that being said, i was raised by a black servent till I left south africa, its the same thing just a different country and different sized noses. Some of the hardest working people ive ever known have been black africans, the best thing about them is they were always smiling, never down, every time i look at an abbo they are miserable, putting on a stupid face, what more do they want, they have equal oppertunities if not more, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink, fair enough some things were done in the past that could have been avoided, but at the end of the day they didnt cover every square inch of australia, so whats to say its their country, its like saying the ocean belongs to whales. They were inhabitants of a given space. We have given them the ability to access the whole country, for free but the only time they are happy is when the land cannot be shared with white people, bit contradictory? I wouldn't be in australia if it wernt for the black africans violence, but even though they pulled the country down with violence and stuff at least they got off their asses. None of them drink excessively, they all understand work = money. But they have bitten them selves in the ass, they have chased the white man, and his knowledge of medicine out of the country, and are now ridden with aids.

patience
13th February 2008, 10:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485651)</div>
"You all have no actual historical information on the topic, but you still gotta jump in and tell us how a blackfulla once tried to steal your phone."

maybe its racist buts it true...[/b]

Maybe I'll tell you of the situation I witnessed where WHITE fellas, reasonable dressed, bashed someone for fun 10m from me on Friday night.
Your overgeneralisations are sickening.

Just because a white man is dressed in decent clothes and has a job does not mean he is any less a scum bag then an aboriginal.
In fact, working as an orderly at a public hospital has made me realise that 95% of societies scum are white trash.

rich_86
13th February 2008, 10:12 PM
^^^ fair enough hydrogen it is....

totally agree with this and its not racist at all so the majoritory blks are lazy and don't do anything with the opportunities given to them...if i call a white person lazy is that racist??? same expression and meaning jus changing the race... i have a few friends that came from south africa and they moved from the violoence over there...I'm sure if they blks in aus actually get off there ass and make the best of all the benifits given to them in 2 to 3 generations I'm sure they would be near equal...but the sad fact is the majoritory of them will not thus the cycle continues...

driftke70
13th February 2008, 10:13 PM
the biggest problem in this country is the 13-18 year old gangster wannabes with no conscious.

driftke70
13th February 2008, 10:16 PM
my biggest fear of australia at the moment is, there are alot of douche bag kids out there, these kids are douche bags because of their even worse parents, these parents are the voice of australia at the moment.

Micknofx
13th February 2008, 10:19 PM
I thought I might add this - A theory that I can't remember where I heard it (or even if it's still a theory, de-bunked or proved?) Why do aboriginal people have the trouble they do with substance abuse?

White people of anglo saxon decent have been drinking and using drugs for thousands of years whereas aboriginal people havent put anything into thier bodies that didn't grow naturally in australia until about 200 or so years ago... the theory is/was or whatever that we have a genetic tolerance that simply can't be achieved in a race that hasn't had exposure to these things for as long.

edit - spelling

HachiRoku
13th February 2008, 10:20 PM
^That's not so far fetched. Pretty sure it's the going theory in fact.

Ru-iki
13th February 2008, 10:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485651)</div>
"You cannot compare the stone age undiscovered Aboriginie to the Germans fighting Britan. Two white nations on a fairly level playing field, both of the same race? How does that compare to some white Europeans colonizing a place which is already owned by Indigenous people."

so just because they are black means that they cannot be compared to whites?????

No, but they were an uncontacted stone age civilisation, a far cry from 1930s Britan and Germany. If this isnt clear to you you must be blind.

maybe its racist buts it true...

And youve never actually sat down and had a conversation with an Aboriginie, I bet.

"don't forget who the majority of white Australians are descended from, a bunch of criminals so bad, they were shipped to the opposite side of the planet. Thats who you are if you are a white Australian. A fuckin convict. Now get off your high horse and realise you are scum, not a little prince like mummy always said. "

as for me good sir no convict 7th generation australia first generation being engineers so yep no convict in my blood...sorry to disappoint...[/b]

This is such a massive lie, what about the other side of your family? So all the men and women who married into your family were not convict descendants? Honestly you have no clue as to the full extent of your family tree. Its an incredibly stupid and naive statement to say you have pure non-convict blood, because you do not. Thats what most racists have said to me when Ive called them a convict for being anti Aboriginal. Its the test of whether a person is racist or not, and you failed buddy. Your fragile little belief system which makes you think you are better than others and encourages you to have racist views is severely flawed and obviously not even something you have seriously analyed. Oh but thats what racist old dad said about the family, right? Must be true!! Grow a fuggin brain and learn how to think for yourselves.

af300e
14th February 2008, 12:30 AM
I think the sun is not so much the burning of hydrogen as the result of the nuclear fusion of hydrogen which creates helium.

Glad we got that straight!

driftke70
14th February 2008, 02:25 AM
being south african I'm allowed a little leeway in being racist, but I'm not really racist, i think 99% of people are idiots.

rich_86
14th February 2008, 06:49 AM
i do actually believe whites had settled in aus a long time before 1930...as i had said before yes there are a few good ones out there but not many and yes i have spoken to them and actually have a few blk friends...as for the other side of my family german, scotish and irish...call me racist if you want i don't give a shit ur jus some guy with a keyboard watever so i have an opinion of a race get over...

Jason
14th February 2008, 07:00 AM
lol @ carbon star...

don't be so hard on people growing up in racist families. The human brain is meant to be impressionable at a young age. Therefore stupid people continue the cycle. Lack of using our intelligence to make decisions based on facts instead of pre-notion.
Also, 50% German, 50% Iris.

verm69
14th February 2008, 03:37 PM
omg this thread is pathetic...

okay... the reason aboriginals didn't advance as such... evolution/advancement comes out of need. The reason that Europeans made boats? they needed more land for their growing population. The reason they learnt about farming? To feed their growing population. Why did they learn to use metals? To deal with the constant invasions.

the reason aboriginals didn't advance as such? they didn't need to... they knew how to work the land to feed how ever many they had, they didn't need to make big boats because they had heaps of land.

The point Rich_86 was trying to make, Ru-iki, is that aboriginals were so far behind in technology as such that it wasn't funny... yes, Europeans were only still trying to use fire 80,000 year ago, but so were the aboriginals... 200 years or so ago... they haven't advanced as fast as Europeans because they didn't need to. But at least they didn't live in their own squaller like the Europeans

So your both retards... and your both racist as each other.

Ru-iki... you comment on sending Europeans half way around the world "for the worst crimes ever!!!!!" is a stupid claim... sure, some of them were probably pretty bad, but alot were shipped for stealing a loaf of bread, or breaking into a house. Oh no... you should be so shamed! your great great great grandpa broke into a house so he could eat. Besides, when was it okay to label someone a convict because of something someone in their family did 200 odd years ago

not that i give a shit about any of it, I have no Australian family...

I'm with Driftke70 in the fact that i'm not racist, but i think 99% of people are idiots.

Ru-iki
14th February 2008, 06:10 PM
Verm, If your gonna quote someone, you need to use their exact words, not put in the way you took it, ok. Worst crimes ever? Not what I wrote.

Loaf of bread, eh. i'd say the majority of convicts were here for a lot worse than that. That loaf of bread stuff is what they teach you in school so you don't think your a bad person being descended from a rapist killer. People who break into houses should be in prison, wherever that may be.

I certainly don't need you explaining the finer points of our history. Ive had many long conversations on this topic with some anthropologist friends I have, so I don't think you can tell me anything I havent already discussed at length.

Call me racist if you like, its easy to say. Whats hard is facing up to the idea that every white person here lives on stolen land. Just cause your parents paid a fortune for a stolen plot dosnt mean that its yours. Remember there is a charge for receiving stolen goods.

Everyone seems to react like they aren't needing to say sorry because they didn't do anything. Its all about accepting Aboriginal people as the original Australians, and making them feel welcome in the wider community. In tern its about them welcoming us to the shores amicably. This subtle point is lost on most of you, who take it personally. As if you did something wrong today, which you didn't.

Everyone here speaks of 'Europeans' as this magical race with all these intelligent ideas and this marvelous technology. I believe that there were only a handful of intelligent, deep thinking 'Europeans' who were inventing all the technology, and everyone else just got to use it by association.

You are correct in your reasons of why they had the technology.

The saddest thing is once we arrived, we didn't record or respect the culture of Aboriginal people at all. Now we have lost most of it. Who knows what we could have learned from them if we didnt already think we knew everything. This cultural purge surely contributes to Aboriginies feeling displaced and without identity.

In short, the colonialist philistines who came here should have sunk in the open ocean and perished as far as I'm concerned.

Ru-iki
14th February 2008, 06:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driftke70 @ Feb 14 2008, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485792)</div>
being south african I'm allowed a little leeway in being racist, but I'm not really racist, i think 99% of people are idiots.[/b]

Being south African isn't an excuse, its a reason why. Your in Australia now mate.

Course_Out
14th February 2008, 06:26 PM
This thread has proven to me that, regardless of skin colour, everyone has the ability to be a complete and utter douche bag.

cheers

AEE86
14th February 2008, 06:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ru-iki @ Feb 14 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=486073)</div>
In short, the colonialist philistines who came here should have sunk in the open ocean and perished as far as I'm concerned.[/b]

I take it you're not descended from the early European settlers (as I am), and I'm also guessing from your comments your ancestors are not Aboriginal.

Therefore your family must have come here later as refugees or opportunists.

Either way, they wouldn't have had much to look forward to if not for the 'colonialist philistines' as you call them paving the way. No cities, no houses, no jobs, no welfare.

Maybe YOUR ancestors should have sunk on the boat/plane/raft they rode in on.

ae86_Guy
14th February 2008, 06:56 PM
We took their land fair and square. They need to integrate now.

Ru-iki
14th February 2008, 07:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AEE86 @ Feb 14 2008, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=486095)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ru-iki @ Feb 14 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=486073)
In short, the colonialist philistines who came here should have sunk in the open ocean and perished as far as I'm concerned.[/b]

I take it you're not descended from the early European settlers (as I am), and I'm also guessing from your comments your ancestors are not Aboriginal.

Therefore your family must have come here later as refugees or opportunists.

Either way, they wouldn't have had much to look forward to if not for the 'colonialist philistines' as you call them paving the way. No cities, no houses, no jobs, no welfare.

Maybe YOUR ancestors should have sunk on the boat/plane/raft they rode in on.
[/b][/quote]

Thats exactly what I'm saying.

Tyrie
14th February 2008, 08:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HachiRoku @ Feb 13 2008, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485624)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Feb 13 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=485617)

Sustainability?
[/b][/quote]

Hardly. When they got here they wiped out the megafauna and their fires killed off the temperate rainforest leaving gumtrees which thrive on fire. They completely changed the Australian landscape. I think they should be apologising to me for killing off 2m tall wombats and giant koalas and shit lol.

HachiRoku
14th February 2008, 08:45 PM
I dunno, there's only certain parts of this country where rain forest of any kind can survive. And I'm pretty sure our climate has basically remained the same.

Tyrie
14th February 2008, 09:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HachiRoku @ Feb 14 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=486174)</div>
I dunno, there's only certain parts of this country where rain forest of any kind can survive. And I'm pretty sure our climate has basically remained the same.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Coinciding with evidence of changes from rain forest to sclerophyil vegetation, scientists have discovered a marked increase in charcoal deposits. At Lake George, possibly about 20,000 years ago, the increased charcoal depositscoincide with a change from fire sensitive Casuarina to fire-adapted Eucalyptus.A core of sediment taken from the seabed near the Great Barrier Reef shows that the coniferous forest which used to grow in North Eastern Queensland 150,000 years ago began to be replaced with fire-resistant Eucalyptus trees. Atthe same time, the amount of charcoal in the sediment increased dramatically, indicating a sharp rise in the number of fires. Some scientists believe that this dramatic increase in charcoal is due to fires deliberately started by people, and that the changes in vegetation cannot be explained just in terms of climate changes. This is because, at this site, there had been little change in vegetation before this, despite significant fluctuations inclimate in North Eastern Australia. In addition to this there was a continuous charcoal record throughout all samples, indicating that there would always have been some naturally occurring fire in the environment and this also had little effect on the environment. Evidence of this kind has been used to support the theory that Aborigines were living in Australia well before the generally accepted figure of 40,000 years ago[/b]

Australia's climate has changed a lot in the last 100years, let alone the last 80,000years. Of course their are other theories for the loss of megafauna and change in vegetation, but no-one can deny Aboriginal involvement.

rich_86
14th February 2008, 09:58 PM
yes they did burn off most of the fauna...and who is too say they were even here first...i would guess if the country was discovered in the 15th century there would be none of this we stole it shit....we didnt steal it we moved here and it was bound to happen with world exploration...so i don't believe we need to apologise for any but thanks to the crud government we did and all this shit bout a public holiday wtf....he is jus doing everything to impress people...sorry not impressed at all...and y remove awa's???? if a person is worthwhile in a business or company they will pay for you...if ur shit and what not they wont its called running a business you cut off things that don't make profit...simple as that no business runs to make a loss...and now i wait to hear what benifits they shall now recieve from our tax money which could be spent elsewhere....

samuel
15th February 2008, 02:18 AM
Closed