PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap

Will(SPA50)
15th February 2008, 07:32 AM
hey guys

i have a big port 4A-GE in my 85 model sprinter. it has the jdm loom and computer.

I'm looking for my options for engines that go in with no problem or with only minor problems.

I'm looking at getting a CA18DET with a Supra gearbox(unsure of the code name for it) has anyone done this and can give me ideas?

but I'm mostly after what i should put in there :P

cheers guys :)

us_ae86
15th February 2008, 07:56 AM
budget?

are you doing it urself or will u be looking at a workshop doing it, and what are u looking at getting outof it, in regard to drivability and overall power

Gilly
15th February 2008, 09:33 AM
big block? as in stroker or bigport?

supra box with a CA, i'd lean towards RB box, CA bellhousings work, whereas you would require a custom bell to mate the toyota box to a CA.

easiest options are below in order of easiest to hardest

4AGZE, uses stock mounts, exhaust, will need new ecu and loom + cooler piping and cooler, mods required to get SC outlet to suit intercooler piping in FR layout

20v, again uses stock mounts, custom RWD conversion kit for cooling system required, aftermarket ECU needed to delete dizzy.(not really harder but costly) can use most of your current exhaust all if you can redrill your extractors to suit 20v bolt pattern (last 2 holes further outwards)

SR20DE, custom everything (mounts, tailshaft) etc, basic exhaust etc

CA18DET, custom everything but no body mods

SR20DET, custom everything, trans tunnel often needs mods depending on mounting

there are others, but not as common a conversion as those listed above

Will(SPA50)
15th February 2008, 07:25 PM
sweet thanks guys, well i have a mate doing it for me so yea thats covered...

lol sorry ment to be big port

Will(SPA50)
23rd February 2008, 04:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Feb 15 2008, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=486377)</div>
big block? as in stroker or bigport?

supra box with a CA, i'd lean towards RB box, CA bellhousings work, whereas you would require a custom bell to mate the toyota box to a CA.

easiest options are below in order of easiest to hardest

4AGZE, uses stock mounts, exhaust, will need new ecu and loom + cooler piping and cooler, mods required to get SC outlet to suit intercooler piping in FR layout

20v, again uses stock mounts, custom RWD conversion kit for cooling system required, aftermarket ECU needed to delete dizzy.(not really harder but costly) can use most of your current exhaust all if you can redrill your extractors to suit 20v bolt pattern (last 2 holes further outwards)

SR20DE, custom everything (mounts, tailshaft) etc, basic exhaust etc

CA18DET, custom everything but no body mods

SR20DET, custom everything, trans tunnel often needs mods depending on mounting

there are others, but not as common a conversion as those listed above[/b]
hey mate what u mean by custom everything for the SR20det and ca18 det

obey wan boenny
23rd February 2008, 08:46 PM
he means custom tail shaft, engine mounts, engine crossmember, gearbox crossmember, cooler piping etc. etc.

biggo
23rd February 2008, 11:27 PM
as gilly stated, tunnel mods dependant on psostion.

pretty much everythin other than a ge will required some sort of customising.

Konakid
24th February 2008, 01:28 AM
What do you want the car for?

Hills? Skids? Drag?

Whats wrong with you current motor?

Will(SPA50)
24th February 2008, 10:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonaKid @ Feb 24 2008, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=491398)</div>
What do you want the car for?

Hills? Skids? Drag?

Whats wrong with you current motor?[/b]
drift/show/street

motor has blow by and head gasket leak :(

yea i have an engine in mind so ill see how things go thanks guys!!!

Konakid
25th February 2008, 02:57 AM
Best bet would either be a rebuild or find a suitable 20 valve to rebuild and drop in.