PDA

View Full Version : FIXED 4ac 'lopey' idle

resol
19th February 2008, 08:22 PM
i fixed it yay!! it was the god damn fuse (inside the car) that controlled the idle solenoid. after hours and hours of playing with vac lines, mixture/limit screws it was a fuse....so frustrating but at least its fixed now. THANKYOU VERY MUCH ALL WHO POSTED, was nice to see people trying to help out! :2thumbs:

well i test drove a 4ac wagon (for a friend) to see how the engine and gearbox were. turns out it pulled better then my wagon (same running gear/eng). found out it had the timing adj and thats about it....

...so i decided to adjust the timing on my eng. bad idea. i turned it up (adv) a little, nothing. turned it up all the way, not much.. then decided to retard it a bit (don't ask why, i don't think these things through) and it choked and spluttered, kicked the throttle a touch and it stalled.

turned the timing back to the middle and turned the car over. no the idle is all over the place, tries to stall (had to wind in the backstop to increase the idle speed just to stop it from stalling).

i think it might be vaccum leak but it was fine before and i havnt touched anything. checked leads, cap, points, plugs all fine.

what is wrong?

how can i fix this, its mega ghey.

the eng was running fine before i played with it. and i am running a pod filter, with all vac lines to the air box blocked off...

help.

4A-GE Power
19th February 2008, 08:59 PM
Middle meaning 0 degrees, or advanced?

resol
19th February 2008, 09:11 PM
middle meaning 5-10 degrees. but i have adjusted it back through the range. from 0, 0-5, 5, 5-10, 10. etc and it noticably changes the timing, however does not effect the idle.

also the car runs as per normal, once the foot goes down the car runs fine. no missing, no noticable lack in 'power'. when i started it this morning (cold) it started and ran fine, once the car warmed up it started doin it again.

it doesnt start too well, or turn off well. takes a few -not normal sounding- cranks, and when turning it off it chugs and vibrates and does a few extra rotations.

have played with the fuel mixtures, up and down and no change....

argh, well at least tis still driveable (daily)

Gunner
19th February 2008, 09:16 PM
plugs i recon, clean em regap em and see how u go, i kno u said u checked them, but i'd tidy them up a bit

resol
19th February 2008, 09:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Feb 19 2008, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=488945)</div>
plugs i recon, clean em regap em and see how u go, i kno u said u checked them, but i'd tidy them up a bit[/b]

when i say i checked the plugs, i cleaned them didnt adj gap since i didnt have feeler guages with me. i cleaned the points. so i feel i have been fairly thorough...

Gunner
19th February 2008, 09:57 PM
ah k um, i dunno, sorry man all i can think of that would do it is a loose spark dude

resol
22nd February 2008, 12:33 AM
FIXED. read as per 1st post....

Gunner
22nd February 2008, 08:36 AM
lol bloody fuses

Vezza
22nd February 2008, 08:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Feb 22 2008, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=490416)</div>
lol bloody fuses[/b]

Bwahah, yeah I remember one time the power windows stopped working in me Honda. I figured it was the switch cos it was feeling a bit odd, not as springy as it used to be. Tore the thing apart, cleaned it, made sure all the wires were still soldered on, made sure the contacts were clean, put it back and still nothing. was scratching my head for weeks! ...low and behold it was the humble fuse... :angry:

130diehard
22nd February 2008, 08:33 PM
which fuse is it.... my 4ac idle is funny aswell

resol
22nd February 2008, 09:08 PM
the fuse inside the car marked "engine".

vac leaks screw up the idle on stock carby very easily so check the lines as well....