PDA

View Full Version : your opinion on coilovers.

connection
19th February 2008, 11:48 PM
hey people...

i have an interesting topic. please keep it civil, and keep the bullshit out, lol.

as of lately, ive been able to borrow various peoples (some on here) front suspension setups, this ranging from coilovers, adjustable etc, to basic cut springs and random supercheap inserts.

I'm wondering what everyones opinions are regarding coilovers v's normal insert and spring type setups...

example:
coilovers: 8kg springs, tokiko inserts etc...

-or-

ae86 struts with 8kg springs with the same tokiko inserts...

assume car setups are exactly the same, camber tops etc etc etc and so-forth..
so what do we all think??

MountainRunner
20th February 2008, 12:07 AM
i think if got camber tops it whould be an non height adjustible coilover :)

Intense
20th February 2008, 12:12 AM
Definately worth it because you get everything all in one.

Adjustable camber, adjustable height, adjustable dampening and rebound.
In theory you can get the same for a standard spring and shock combo but not adj height unless you change you're springs in which case you'll need matched height shocks. Coilovers are just a lot more convenient

RobertoX
20th February 2008, 12:47 AM
you get more pussy when you have coilovers

but seriously yes they are worth it

they become and item

they are smaller lighter etc

everything works well together

there is more clearance

if i tyre is rubbing, easy to adjust

can raise/lower one side

springs available off the shelf

strut cut down to keep captive etc

many other reasons

its late I'm tired

sprintdaddy
20th February 2008, 01:27 AM
I think it all comes down to the purpose of your vehicle, allright if it`s a track car, not much point if you`re just going to drive it on the street and as far as i know welding any part of your suspension is illegal in Queensland.

HYPNTK
20th February 2008, 01:41 AM
mad topic...i was interested in this also...

so you guys reckon that having coilovers doesn't actually improve handling any more than shock and spring setup???
and that the main advantages are that its more convenient and lighter etc?

73ta22
20th February 2008, 02:53 AM
you should consider throwing in complete S13 front end into your car.. probably be cheaper in the long run, and heaps better handling+way more lock

rich_86
20th February 2008, 06:42 AM
late s13 gear with the 280mm rotors and cst coilovers with the base height adjustment plus camber tops...fun fun fun and fuck all bump steer....only prob i can't get less then neg 2.5 degress camber....other then that so much better with the braking department...ill do a comparision wen i drive the trueno as its got ae86 coilover and shit

Gunner
20th February 2008, 06:54 AM
in my opinion it all comes down to $$$$, a cheap coilover will be worse than a good standard strut and spring combo, where decent coilovers are better still, but comes down to who's driving how they are driving and how much $$$$ they want to spend on suspension.

ghetto ke
20th February 2008, 02:09 PM
A quality shock and std spring combo will work well to a point it's limited to. Coil-overs offer more adjustment and fine tuning and usually lighter and more compact (at a cost). Like most things you will probably have to stick within a certain budget, get the best stuff you can afford and you can upgrade later.
Personally I use Tein (Type Flex - body height adjustable, 12 comp/rebound settings) in my daily drive and have front and rear T3/AGX coil-overs in my AE86. I previously used a variety of TRD shocks and springs in the hachi which worked great, but lacked the fine tuning I was after. I prefer the TRD/Tokico over the KYB AGX shocks, but would like to try a set of HTS dampers when I get a chance.

70XIN
20th February 2008, 03:03 PM
coilovers are brilliant

going from EXACTLY the same shock/spring setup in standard setting, to coilover (robo86's car) they made SUCH a difference

coilovers + 100 votes

Konakid
20th February 2008, 03:49 PM
+1 for coilovers also.

RobertoX
20th February 2008, 04:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (70XIN @ Feb 20 2008, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=489236)</div>
coilovers are brilliant

going from EXACTLY the same shock/spring setup in standard setting, to coilover (robo86's car) they made SUCH a difference

coilovers + 100 votes[/b]

funny that i tried so hard to convince him to go coilover

Blown86
21st February 2008, 02:33 AM
IMO coilovers aren't necessary for most people, they've become a fad accessory.

Really coilovers should be used if you change spring rates regularly and/or setup corner weights.
For a given spring and shock setup there's only one setting for spring seat height, which should be approximately 2/3 shock travel in bump and 1/3 in droop. Coilovers being used just to lower a car for looks doesn't help with handling if you have no bump travel left and the springs rattle loose at full droop.

There's some really nice coilovers available with good shocks etc and are worth while if setup properly. Not necessarily bettter than a decent non adjustable strut though. A lot of the decent coilovers I've seen on road cars have been screwed up by someone just chasing a look, seems a waste of money to me.

Konakid
21st February 2008, 03:34 AM
Coilovers are great because of their adjustable height, the main reason people choose them. This helps with achieving good wheel fitment and stopping scrubbing. Buying them for looks isnt on many people minds here...

driftke70
21st February 2008, 08:17 AM
coilies bruz!

but seriously, get some coil overs that arn't pink or blue and your sweet!, if the shocks crap just chuck another insert in.

shorty
21st February 2008, 08:37 AM
+ 1 for coilovers

ask dodgey dave how well 86s handle when you cut the spring down to 2 coils... = Barrel Roll = FAIL