PDA

View Full Version : BLACK paint yal

Paw-DK
20th February 2008, 08:12 AM
Wanted to know what black paint people use to spray the bars and bonnet if so..
solid(gloss or matt) OR black with metallic (sometimes metallic gives a CF look haha maybe I'm tripping)

am gonna spray my car soon.. was planning to spray the bonnet 2pak gloss black and my bars a SATIN black (is this the semigloss colour that is between glossy and matt??)

this is either an easy question or hard soo please HELP out!
cheers vince

chaRwie
20th February 2008, 08:36 AM
hey mate, I used satin black bumper paint and a can of clear plastic primer, cost me $45 all up with plenty of paint left. just sand your bumper down with like 450 grit sandpaper before you do it and it should be fine, want pics search for my car in members rides.

samuel
20th February 2008, 03:49 PM
Worth noting that people in the industry (spray painters) use a thing called "plasticiser". it is an additive that you add to your paint when spraying it.

Not available in pressurepak :P

It helps the paint keep a softer "plastic" quality so that when you rear end your grandma, the paint flexes and doesn't crack and shatter

Worth thinking about

stinger_007
20th February 2008, 04:02 PM
^^ Some can now mix in the plasticiser into pressure packs.

I think is about 25-30%. RC car guys do it match factory paint codes.

riojin
20th February 2008, 04:23 PM
i used $3 fiddly bits flat (matte) black paint from bunnings. its enamel paint so it doesnt crack or chip easy. i used 1 can for each bar. they came up awesome. cheaper doesnt always mean inferior.

i used the same paint on a bonnet a few weeks ago (i did both under and top sides) and i used 5 cans. it didnt turn out that well so ask to keep it black. it was only used as a lazy primer (i cbf to setup the compressor and i had some cans sitting there). i would suggest using an acrylic flat black paint for pannels.

don't spray your bonnet black, it just makes you look like a ricer.

tricky_dan
22nd February 2008, 12:04 AM
^ is that fiddly bits that cheap? wow cool! i was using some other brand from bunnings but it cost $7 and half the cans i bought (in white) were like really junky.. (constantly spat out bits and pieces....) then i tried some australian export stuff u can get from superbarn auto or any $2 store and it works real well!

Paw-DK
22nd February 2008, 06:48 PM
i was gonna go to spray my bonnet and bar at a panel shop.. really thinking of home jobs AGAIN haha
but hey haydenzzz your bumper looks fukin awesome dude fukin THUMBSUP

does anyone agree with a black bonnet on my TRUENO to be a RICER :unsure: ??

HRV-00S
22nd February 2008, 07:03 PM
^^^^Depends what the rest of your car looks like, and anyway, why would you care if some random thinks your car is a ricer.

Do what ever the f@#k you want to it.

This was done with 2pak A3 black? (jet black) with matting paste mixed into the clear, kind of a satin finish.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/165000.jpg

driftae86
22nd February 2008, 07:13 PM
cheap spray can paint does come out nice and shiny when you first spray it. but give it a few weeks in the weather and all that shine will be gone and you will be left with shitty looking matt black paint.

its worth buying the more expensive paint if you are using spray cans. ie. the proper touch up paint stuff.

either way if you are doing such a big flat area like your bonnet with cans, you are just asking for trouble. tiger stripes are the devil imo. find someone who has a compressor and a spray gun if you want to DIY. bumpers should be fine to do with cans however.

riojin
22nd February 2008, 07:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HRV-00S @ Feb 22 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=490771)</div>
^^^^Depends what the rest of your car looks like, and anyway, why would you care if some random thinks your car is a ricer.

Do what ever the f@#k you want to it.[/b]

so true. but that goes with all of life. think for yourself and make decisions by yourself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HRV-00S @ Feb 22 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=490771)</div>
This was done with 2pak A3 black? (jet black) with matting paste mixed into the clear, kind of a satin finish.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/165000.jpg[/b]

i have problems with so called jetblack. whenever you spray clear on it it looks charcoal grey. my mate was trying to spray his for coupe that colour and it was always grey. he's since dropped the idea. if you want [b]jetblack[/b[ usually you have to not put clear on top and use a black basecoat primer.

Paw-DK
22nd February 2008, 07:26 PM
man that JET BLACK is really nice and for the grey when spraying clear .. it kindof looks like CF haha
got anymore pic5 of jetblack i wanna see how grey is grey..

and true that it is my decision soo I'm gonna spray my bonnet SOMETHING black on my red NOT fully kitted dumped trueno!
BUT still would wanna know if a black bonnet are for ricers ^_^

hohmann
24th February 2008, 08:46 PM
black bonnets look sweet