PDA

View Full Version : AJPS lock spacers

Son_Ya
20th February 2008, 10:57 AM
heyy
i got one of the lock spacers in... but i lost the sheet that suggested the aggresive driving set-up... if anyone has the sheet or knows the dimensions, it would be awesome if u could let me know so i could get a wheel alignment.

thanks

Robo86
20th February 2008, 11:26 AM
do u mean wheel alginement settings?
if so

camber -2.5
castor +3.5
2mm total toe out, 1mm each side

Son_Ya
20th February 2008, 11:54 AM
fanks

samuel
20th February 2008, 03:47 PM
This belongs in the technical forum

Moved

Benno
20th February 2008, 04:04 PM
negative camber and toe out, it's good for turn-in but you're tyres will be scrubbed with in 5000km

RobertoX
20th February 2008, 04:53 PM
and if you run no camber the outsides of your tyres will be scrubbed in 1000

Benno
20th February 2008, 09:21 PM
i was more concerned with the toe out, would be a PITA for street driving/dailys

Jonny Rochester
21st February 2008, 09:33 PM
Toe out is optional.

Zero toe is best for the tyres.

Konakid
21st February 2008, 10:23 PM
Try running 1mm overall instead of 2mm to make the tyres last a bit longer.

Konakid
25th February 2008, 02:42 AM
to...it doesnt matter.

But powersteering arms are a better way to get more lock as they also make the steering faster to compensate.

Jonny Rochester
25th February 2008, 04:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (improved86 @ Feb 24 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=491904)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonny Rochester @ Feb 21 2008, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=490191)
Toe out is optional.

Zero toe is best for the tyres.[/b]

so is not turning corners ?

spacering out the tie rod upsets the geometry alignment of the rack with the lca pivot point so the car toes changes from constant as possible under suspension movement to ?
[/b][/quote]

No need to be a smart arse every single post.

Having toe-in or toe-out more than about 1.5 degrees is one of the fastest ways to wear out tyres. Having -2 degrees camber on the front will not wear out tyres much, having 2 degrees toe-out on the front will wear out the insider of the tyres fast. If you want to run toe-out for quicker steering responce, that is your option, but you will wear out tyres faster.

I am in the middle of some study, and I suspect spacers on the rack may actualy improve the bump steer (reduce it). As from stock, the steering tie-rod is longer than the control arm. This induces what I call "negative bump steer" since I am not a automotive engineer to know the correct term. This inbuilt negative bump steer is put there on purpose, along with the slope of the lower control arm... I will write my little article on it soon. Zero bump steer is what I am after. (Stock AE86 does not have this).

samuel
25th February 2008, 05:30 PM
He means get off your high horse...

Its obvious that you know a fair bit about AE86's but theres absolutely no need to rub it in everyones face EVERY opportunity you get

Benno
25th February 2008, 06:05 PM
:jerry: :jerry:

Benno
25th February 2008, 10:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (improved86 @ Feb 25 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=492455)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nick @ Feb 25 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=492329)
He means get off your high horse...

Its obvious that you know a fair bit about AE86's but theres absolutely no need to rub it in everyones face EVERY opportunity you get[/b]

well we agree on one thing then <_<

and it really sometimes does take a bit more than a politically correct soft answer

example here is perfect , person buys lock spacer , person fits lock spacer , the car is jacked up and down whilst performing the change and then a alignment
but during that time the person doesn't notice that there steering is locked but the wheels are turning as they lower the car
the change can be that much

have you fitted some benno ?
[/b][/quote]

i would never fit lock spacers to my own car.
1. I think they are a bad idea personally and
2. I run s13 front end, my rod ends already come close to inverting on the hub. i don't need any more problems

Konakid
26th February 2008, 01:22 AM
Wouldn't extending the length of the tie rod with the lock spacer increase bumpsteer as it increases the angle at which the balljoint has to bend because of the longer tie rod length?

Of course it puts the geometry out a little but nothing that is really noticeable, haven't heard anyone complain after running the spacer.

What do you mean 'the steering is locked' ?

Adding longer lca's is not the best idea (sigma) because of how it changes the geometry when turning although a small increase, eg corona arms with +10mm of track isn't really noticeable especially when combined with large roll centre adjusters.

Benno
26th February 2008, 08:07 AM
bingo... ae71.
see you knew about it, i had to learn the hard way.