PDA

View Full Version : Shocks/springs VS Coilovers

RussianMafia000
25th February 2008, 01:40 PM
I'm trying to decide what to do with my front suspension and I'm looking for everyones opinions on these two options.
The car is a SR KE70 if the wieght of the engine should be a part of my decision?

Option 1: New stiffer shocks/springs on AE86 struts with camber tops

Opyion 2: AE86 struts converted to coilovers (AJPS) + Camber tops

The main thing I'm worried about is the cost of the two.
Coilovers with camber tops are going to cost around $1200 plus shipping where as the other option I'm not 100% sure on price??

Around $170 for springs then another $200 for shocks, plus ~$150 for struts and $150-200 for camber tops.

Can anyone give me some experiences with both? Probably a stupid question but do aftermarket springs (ie.AJPS) stay captive in the spring perch? Or will they move around a bit when the shocks are fully extended?

johl
25th February 2008, 01:56 PM
i got kyb short stroke shox and ajps springs all round. they are not captive upfront. basically just decide whether u need to adjust ur ride height or not and that will make up ur mind. also r u considering adjustable shox or not?

Gilly
25th February 2008, 02:28 PM
spring captivity is a big deal for me so i vouch for coilvers

a stiff (drift orientated) spring will be too short (at a good lowered height) to remain captive with a short stroke AE86 shock.

all good items will have a shortened strut with shocks to suit. by shortening the strut you and using a threaded collar and perches you effectively lower the spring seats meaning get the lowered height whilst retaining a good range of travel. my car sits nice an low whilst keeping the springs captive on full extension. i could not achieve the same result with a normal strut.

Hen is a total nutcase
25th February 2008, 03:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gilly @ Feb 25 2008, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=492208)</div>
i could not achieve the same result with a normal strut.[/b]
You can keep the spring captive with a short spring and normal struts if you cut and shorten the strut ABOVE the spring perch.

Admittedly rarely worth the work, but it is an option if you want to keep normal shock/struts and also keep your short springs captive.

Hen

RussianMafia000
25th February 2008, 05:06 PM
Sorry guys didn't know this had been covered already on here, but thanks for the info. Spring captivity is also a pretty big deal for me so I'm leaning more towards the coilover option rather than modifying the strut myself.
Anyone looking to sell some cheap no name cambertops?

marvis
25th February 2008, 07:00 PM
EDIT: nm.

driftism
26th February 2008, 07:02 PM
lol...

i vote for coilovers, but only if you are planning on using the adjustablity. I have AJPS coilovers in my car and the springs are still not captive on full droop. I believe that dave has reviewed his spring design and they are now longer, keeping them captive or close to it, but this can be cured with a helper spring, which is a common thing on a lot of coilover setups.

There is nothing wrong with a decent shock/spring combo, and there are ways to keep springs captive in a normal strut (such as some decent wire) many light competition cars still use normal struts as opposed to coilovers.

James86
26th February 2008, 09:04 PM
HAHAHHA