PDA

View Full Version : Window tinting

riojin
25th February 2008, 08:09 PM
what is the darkest legal tinting i can get? is it different for the windscreen? can you even tint the windscreen?

sketchy
25th February 2008, 08:40 PM
think it varies from different state but in nsw it should be 30% max tint
i prefer 18% of dark tint looks nice and ghetto :2thumbs:
5% if your daring enough to do limousine black haha
don't think your legally allowed to have the front windsceen tinted.. only the top section or a full light blue/orange tint (european)

heres a random pic from a big tinting company 'solace'.. they charge an arm and a leg would rather go to smaller places >200$
but you get to see the different qualilty (the dearer means more metal in the tint meaning its stronger and will last for more years)
the security tint is supposively a antitheft tint <_< doesnt make the window shatter or some shit lol

dame wanna get mah hachi tinted now!

riojin
25th February 2008, 08:49 PM
well my 86 is already tinted but its old and starting to peel (it was most likely done in the 80's). ill shop around after i get it back and find out whats the go on pricing. itll prolly be a little more around my area, everything is

AmyC
25th February 2008, 09:35 PM
That list is expensive.

I paid $350 for the darkest tint i could find, Couldn't see in it at all. Cops didn't give me shit about it either and got defected for other things.

riojin
25th February 2008, 09:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GZE KE70 @ Feb 25 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=492518)</div>
Cops didn't give me shit about it either and got defected for other things.[/b]
hehe well i was planning on keeping everything roadworthy but cops will always find something to defect your for

AEE86
25th February 2008, 10:10 PM
I thought the cost related to the quality of the film rather than the darkness of tint?

riojin
25th February 2008, 10:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AEE86 @ Feb 25 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=492553)</div>
I thought the cost related to the quality of the film rather than the darkness of tint?[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (D86TOY_20V!nce @ Feb 25 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=492471)</div>
they charge an arm and a leg would rather go to smaller places >200$
but you get to see the different qualilty (the dearer means more metal in the tint meaning its stronger and will last for more years)[/b]

AEE86
25th February 2008, 11:08 PM
D'oh, I fail at reading.. :rolleyes:

quadeyquade
25th February 2008, 11:13 PM
Don't quote me, but I do believe that it isn't that hard to tint yourself... a panel beater told me that :D

But don't quote me, cause I'm probably wrong lol

AEE86
25th February 2008, 11:29 PM
I think I've seen too many of those purple, bubbly home tint jobs to even consider a DIY job, for the money I'd go to the shop every time.

ghetto ke
25th February 2008, 11:45 PM
In very state except SA the darkest you can tint is 35% VLT (Visible Light Transmition) that is on the side and back glass. In SA driver and front passenger glass can only be tinted to 70% VLT (Note the VLT is the total transmition of the glass and tint film combined! some glass is already tinted slightly) so most of the tinted cars here are already defectable because they have 35% all round :crazy: You are not meant to tint the windscreen in anycase even a strip along the top :o

Legality aside different tint companys have a varity of shades and finishes. Some tints look grey, others almost black or reflective like mirrored lenses but all have the same VLT. Also the same tint may look different or other cars. Example a 35% tint on a white car with black interior may look darker due to the contrast than the same film on a black car with a tan interior.

The old tint that goes purple is because the dye fades with time, as the solvent in the adhesive disolves in the sun/heat over time creating bubbles. Newer films don't use dyes but rather fine metallic particles and pigments which are more stable. depending where you go you should be able to get a quality tint job $250~$350 ring around or go past a few places and have a look at the cars they have tinted there to see for yourself.

Konakid
26th February 2008, 01:33 AM
So that means it lets 70% of the outside light in right? Why is ours so different, ghey!

ghetto ke
26th February 2008, 12:58 PM
When all the other states agreed with tint industry on a common specification on this, The SA Government (TransportSA) and Adelaide University Center for Automotive Safety Research compiled a report why they reasoned that it should stay at 70% for front glass. Because if you are looking through 2 sheets of 70% tinted glass = 49% and two sheets of 35% = 12% VLT. The reasoning was along the lines of pedestrians and other road users need to be able to see the other driver clearly to know their intentions. If you fancy some light reading the report can be found here CASR Report (http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/publications/researchreports/CASR002.pdf) It's a heap of BS and clear double standards if you ask me!

While looking for the report, I came across this article with Richard Hall, the Managing Director of Sun-Gard Australia when interviewed by Autospeed (http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_1625/article.html)

What sort of effect does tint have on visibility?

"It's an interesting point. If you look at what Australian law permits in all states - except South Australia - you can have a resultant visible light transmission (a resultant VLT) of 35 percent; by that they mean the combination of the glass and the film must allow 35 percent of light to pass through. "That doesn't sound a lot, but the human eye is capable of reading in moonlight or bright sunlight - the latter only just. We're talking a light huge variation, and because the human eye adjusts logarithmically to the amount of light it's receiving, you can drop the light transmission by 80 percent and you perceive it as about a 10 percent reduction in visibility. So dropping the light transparency by 65 percent - with 35 percent tint on a clear window - the reduction in visibility is negligible. In some situations it's actually improved overall because glare is reduced, but it's very difficult to quantify."

johnny_08
26th February 2008, 07:52 PM
meh screw the rules :P, i got 20% or so on mine for $350, metal tint too

Gilly
26th February 2008, 10:04 PM
i'm getting tint on the next car

thats my input :P

I hate the mindset of the darker the better, my brother in laws ute has deadset limo tint and at night you can't see shit and the rear screen is actually like a mirror merely reflecting any light source in the cabin.

steroidchickens
26th February 2008, 10:07 PM
i went with 20% on mine. it costed me $200 worth while shopping around. i did not even know the bloke. that was tinting around my rollcage and everything.

AmyC
26th February 2008, 10:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Feb 25 2008, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=492537)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GZE KE70 @ Feb 25 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=492518)
Cops didn't give me shit about it either and got defected for other things.[/b]
hehe well i was planning on keeping everything roadworthy but cops will always find something to defect your for
[/b][/quote]
They missed the 7 parking cones i stole that night because of the tint.

spoon
3rd March 2008, 03:06 PM
the rule came in in 1994 about dark tinting - if the tint was applied before 94 it can be as dark as you like - if the cars older than 94 - hows the cop gonna know when it was applied

meadan
3rd March 2008, 06:13 PM
You can also get new windscreens which come tinted.
I know in NSW it is illegal to get a film put on the windscreen, but youre allowed to have up to a certain percentage of tinted glass.
Also utes and vans can have painted back windows, they don't need to have any visibility at all.

By the way, the tinter at work does ambulance grade tint all round for $280