PDA

View Full Version : quick oil cooler question

yoshimitsu9
2nd March 2008, 07:30 PM
gday all,

quick question! basically picked up an oil filter sandwhich plate up for $5 from the autobarn bargain bonanza clearance table. i have a vr/vs commodore trans cooler lying around at home.

now to the question! is it too big? simple yes or no answer

cheers in advance

rthy
2nd March 2008, 07:32 PM
any oil cooler can be too big if you have no oil thermostat in the system. Remember its always better to have too hot an oil than too cold an oil.

steroidchickens
2nd March 2008, 09:38 PM
no.

rthy
2nd March 2008, 09:40 PM
what to explain that answer?

steroidchickens
2nd March 2008, 09:51 PM
he asked for a simple yes or no answer about the size of the cooler.
vr/vs oil coolers are very thin. mine is about the size of a vs oil cooler but twice as thick.
and i have no thermostat. the kit i got had none. my car is a track car. and i let it warm up before taking it out. so i see no need for a thermostat in my application.

you explained the importance of an oil thermostat. wich is a great reply where i was just answering his question.

rthy
2nd March 2008, 10:26 PM
fair enough, thanks for the well thought out answer

Hen is a total nutcase
3rd March 2008, 01:44 PM
Another point to note, which I have heard discussed, is that trans fluid is thin (like water), oil is thicker. So a trans cooler will be designed for thinner fluid and may cause issues when used with oil.

Hen

steroidchickens
3rd March 2008, 03:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hen is a total nutcase @ Mar 3 2008, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=495799)</div>
Another point to note, which I have heard discussed, is that trans fluid is thin (like water), oil is thicker. So a trans cooler will be designed for thinner fluid and may cause issues when used with oil.

Hen[/b]

i also was thinking this.

not to mention the lines going into it are the size of fuel lines.

yoshimitsu9
3rd March 2008, 07:23 PM
thanks for the info guys. i spose ill just chuck it on and see how it goes. i spose no great harm can really come from it. i thought it would be a great budget job for <$100

driftism
3rd March 2008, 07:26 PM
you can get knock off oil coolers (can't remember the brand they rip off) from ebay for bugger all, they are actually suprisingly good quality, and will probably work a bit better with your plate as the line inlets are larger.

Hen is a total nutcase
4th March 2008, 12:22 AM
Just remembered, if you are using it as a bypass type oil cooler (only some flow goes through it) then it'll be fine, worst that can happen is that it won't cool anything.

If you are using it as full flow then it may starve your engine of oil. Which is bad.

Hen

yoshimitsu9
4th March 2008, 05:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hen is a total nutcase @ Mar 4 2008, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=496265)</div>
Just remembered, if you are using it as a bypass type oil cooler (only some flow goes through it) then it'll be fine, worst that can happen is that it won't cool anything.

If you are using it as full flow then it may starve your engine of oil. Which is bad.

Hen[/b]

wouldn't that be fixed by once the cooler is installed then you top up the oil to offset the amount of oil that is in the lines and in the cooler?

reecegze
4th March 2008, 05:34 PM
I just installed an ebay greddy knock off its does the job and is also a oil relocator for 200 bux
very happy with it so far