PDA

View Full Version : 4age smallport woes.

bahnugget
26th April 2009, 11:06 AM
Hey guys,

Having a bit of trouble with the smallport in my ae86.. its completely standard, apart from trd extractors and an air filter.

basically, the engine seems to have an intermittant splutter with lightish throttle around 2000-2500 rpm, where it seems to just missfire and hesitate, cough and splutter.. if you're on flat ground when this happens and u accellerate, once you're at higher revs the problem is gone, but if you're going up a hill or something and use more throttle with the revs not going up, it gets worse and worse and theres a strange poppy type noise that seeeems to come from the intake. well it sounds like it anyway.

thats long winded i know sorry... so far i've checked the plugs and for vacuum leaks i cant seem to find it though another problem is the car *sometimes* has a hunting idle.

it also sucks to start it from cold. It stalls as soon as you touch the throttle the first few times.

anyway any ideas/help would be much appreciated.

ps the battery is pretty crap & on its last legs i dont think that would come into it though

aaron
26th April 2009, 12:46 PM
i dont know about the spluttering but this has seemed to fix my 'sometimes' hunting
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=3898

Nikkojoe
26th April 2009, 01:32 PM
Make sure your engine loom earths and general engine earths are fine and your timing is set correctly. Also as aaron said check tps, but usually should be fine if it has not been touched. What is your idle rpm?