PDA

View Full Version : timing belt problem

Ade_Mc
4th March 2008, 04:26 PM
hey people,

need your help. i was changing the timing belt on my 4AC and stupidly forgot to mark where the pulley and crank wheels sit
i accidentally moved the camwheel and the timing will be off.
how do i re-aline the crank and the pulley. any help would be great.

does anyone know of an online manual to find out how to line it up porperly?

cheers
-ade mc-

Bobomacho
4th March 2008, 06:29 PM
its been a long long time since i did mine but...

i believe on the cam pulley there is a small 'sight' hole that when you look through it will line up with a dimple or line on the cam cap.

the crank pulley will have a line which matches to another mark on the oil pump housing.

________

if neither of them exist lol... you can do it the manual way
when the cam and crank pulley is 'aligned' the timing should be a top dead centre which means cylinder 1 will be at its highest point and the cyl. 4 intake valve will be just about to open for the intake stroke, whilst cyl. 1 lobes will have both valves long shut to suit the compression and power stroke on either side of TDC

to find TDC, the highest point of piston 1 you would remove spark plug 1 and place a LONG extension in there and turn the crank over until it has reached its highest point, i spose the knack is to go little too far, then little back and so forth on either side of the peak to find the perfect point. you can then proceed to search for the corresponding crank pulley markings but either way it will be accurate

to find TDC valve timing turn the cam over until you see cyl.4 intake valve JUST about to open. you want the intake and exhaust cam lobes to be MIRRORED in position. then proceed to search for the corresponding cam pulley markings again, it will be accurate all the same

NOTE
whilst your crank position is EXACTLY on top dead centre as we have just manually setup, after you have put on the covers mark a fine line with some whiteout the balancer position whre it reads '0'. provided your balancer hasn't slipped or engine hasn't been fucked with internally, the mark on the balancer should line up with this '0'. if it does not, then something is out of whack BUT NOT YOUR TIMING. so when it comes to tune your car with a timing light use that marking instead of the cut out on the balancer.

the end

***THIS HAS BEEN EDITED BECAUSE I LIED THE FIRST TIME. MY BAD IT HAD BEEN A LONG DAY

NOTE: THIS METHOD WORKS FOR ALL 4 CYLINDER ENGINES. IN ANY OTHER CASE THE FIRING ORDER WILL DECIDE WHICH VALVE SET IS ROCKING

Roku_70
4th March 2008, 08:01 PM
^^^the top dead center idea is best have seen it used before. if not just put it on and hope for the best :rolleyes:

Ade_Mc
5th March 2008, 01:37 AM
cheers bobbo,

that is a huge help as i am a noob when it comes to mech work.
but i guess the best way to learn is from my mistakes.
...well hopefully i won't have to.

Gunner
5th March 2008, 06:44 AM
gimme a buzz if you get stuc dude

Ade_Mc
5th March 2008, 09:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gunbz-r @ Mar 5 2008, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=496953)</div>
gimme a buzz if you get stuc dude[/b]

cheers rhys.

more then likely i will get stuck!

Roku_70
5th March 2008, 07:30 PM
if you don't have much mechanical experience just try it because mechanics is all trial and error. when you have the belt on, take the rocker cover off and turn the motor over by hand... if you hear strange noises such as tapping or 'spluttering', then just keep moving the belt over one tooth at a time on the camshaft sprocket. that is the best way to be accurate, but can take some time. a strange way i know, but it works. you know you have it right when you hear good pressure and make sure you start at top dead centre. jamie

Bobomacho
6th March 2008, 06:05 PM
its not trial an error jamie the way you are talking about could take hours. i don't think you have ever tried that method yourself have you
if it was an interference engine your method would have bent valves in no time, one tooth out is piston kissing the valve whilst two teeth is bent valves for sure.

the best thing to do is just to put the question out there to somebody that knows like ade_mc has done. there is alot of pressure for 'noobs' on this site but i believe there is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know it then be sure to ask.

Roku_70
6th March 2008, 07:23 PM
yeah man i totally agree that it takes shit loads of time, but it does work i have used it on a twin cam xc barina and was fine. at the end of the day... remember to mark all positions! mate i am not a 'noob' if that was what you were refering me to, the guy asked a simple question so i explained another possible method which can be used failing the other two perfectly acceptable mathods. and yes, i have tried it before so you were wrong. there are many in the book and that is simply why i said try the others first and if all else fails, try that. with slow movement of the crankshaft and cam/ cams, it is easy to tell whether you are turning too hard etc. try it for yourself, just be prepared to sit there for at least half an hour. thanks, jamie and good luck!

Bobomacho
7th March 2008, 09:36 PM
sorry jamie i wasn't calling you a noob i was only saying off-topic that i thought it was great ade-mc asked the question because not many people do

i am wrong, you if your way worked for you then good on ya, i hope next time it happens you won't have to use trial and error because someone else already asked the same question you should have

Roku_70
8th March 2008, 06:45 PM
no worries at all mate. ive got to say that timing issues are serious and yes, mechanics isnt just trial and error (especially with motors), what i should have said is more along the lines of... give it a go and always get confirmation of your work. there is nothing worse than thinking you have done a good job and then it actually being a complete disaster. have you solved the problem yet by the way?

maxhag
8th March 2008, 07:02 PM
Use this page and you can't go wrong. It is a step by step guide with detailed pics/diagrams

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09008...irInfoPages.htm (http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/18/d5/a1/0900823d8018d5a1/repairInfoPages.htm)