PDA

View Full Version : ADM or JDM

sotiros86
6th March 2008, 04:52 PM
Hi, trying to sell my honda prelude to buy a sprinter. I am currently looking at 2 different ones, one is an ADM with 16v 4age, 2way LSD, Trueno conversion, bodykit, and heaps of suspension mods for about 9k, or a JDM trueno with bodykit, 1 way and a few light mods for like 12k.

I would prefer to go for the JDM one, but the 3k that i save from buying the ADM could go towards mods, so as such i will probibly end up going ADM.

What do you guys reckon, fairly modified ADM with 16V 4age with quite a few mods, or fairly stock JDM.

Cheers

Todd
6th March 2008, 04:55 PM
i vote adm purely because 3k will buy you alot of stuff for your car and make it overall probably a better package than the jdm.

although alot of the people on this site wouldn't take anything other than jdm, i think here is the time do do exactly the opposite.

thats just my opinion though.
goodluck with it all.

RobertoX
6th March 2008, 04:57 PM
find a cheaper jdm one

riojin
6th March 2008, 05:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (truenosedan @ Mar 6 2008, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497796)</div>
find a cheaper jdm one[/b]
i agree

find a cheaper JDM with original block.

crackett
6th March 2008, 05:17 PM
whatr he said^^^

go stock jdm, build your own car rather than buying something already built.

sure you could spend the 3k on buying jdm bling, but at the end of the day, your car will still be an adm, with overpriced jdm goods on it.

I'm sure you could find a jdm coupe or hatch for the 9k price or lower in good nick!

either way, good luck

rich_86
6th March 2008, 05:18 PM
JDM i currently own both 2 ADM and 1 JDM and would say jus buy a JDM so many small differences that make them better as well as the re sale value is always higher

drft86
6th March 2008, 05:19 PM
PFFF, WHO CARES IF AD/JD/US/WA M, BUY THE BETTER CAR

any jdm shitbox u buy still has toyota genuine rust

sdm86
6th March 2008, 05:30 PM
+2

sotiros86
6th March 2008, 06:31 PM
The thing is though i can probibly get the ADM one down to closer to 8g, and rust has been cut out and car was resprayed beginning of last year. Yeah i know there are cheaper JDM ones availavbe, but i want something that still looks ok, and is already regoed. And i want to get one asap.

AEE86
6th March 2008, 06:42 PM
If the ADM one is ready to roll, mods done, rego'd etc I'd take it. Better to have a working car with cash in your pocket than one that will cost more before you actually can drive the thing the way you want to. My 2c.

sotiros86
6th March 2008, 08:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AEE86 @ Mar 6 2008, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497873)</div>
If the ADM one is ready to roll, mods done, rego'd etc I'd take it. Better to have a working car with cash in your pocket than one that will cost more before you actually can drive the thing the way you want to. My 2c.[/b]

Thats what i was thinking, i figured that i can always buy a stock JDM one later on and swap all of the parts across anyways. Also is there much of a difference between stock ADM and JDM, other than interior trim, engine, power steering, lsd and disc rear end?

cheers

rich_86
7th March 2008, 12:07 AM
its all the little extras that make such a diff if i had known the difference i would have bought a JDM first time around

Javal
7th March 2008, 12:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (truenosedan @ Mar 6 2008, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497796)</div>
find a cheaper jdm one[/b]

fucking +11ty.

It all depends what you want to do with it.

JDM = win. will give superior street driving enjoyment.

ADM = ....... .............. ........ yeah. no. you basically have to change every. single. thing. to make it reasonable. you're paying for a shell, and the rest of the your money will be spent bringing it up to something near JDM spec if you just want to drive it in a spirited fashion.

That said, if you just want to cut sligs, ADM ftw.

wreck something that isn't worth anything.

tricky_dan
7th March 2008, 12:33 AM
Go for a cheaper jdm for sure! the adm will definently be best bang for buck, but i really love anything straight from the shores of tokyo (or whereever they're made hahaha) so i would look for a nice clean jdm

shinobi
7th March 2008, 07:25 AM
if the JDM is GT APEX it will always be worth more and the mentallity that it's all the same shit is one that is held by bitter ADM owners

haikii
7th March 2008, 07:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drft86 @ Mar 6 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497812)</div>

any jdm shitbox u buy still has toyota genuine rust[/b]

thank you!!!!!! god. getting abit over this whole 'jdm' thing man!

LIL BLU MAN
7th March 2008, 08:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drft86 @ Mar 6 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497812)</div>

any jdm shitbox u buy still has toyota genuine rust[/b]

i dno mate my jdm shitbox only hasnt got rust =]
anyway back to topic i thnk adm is good if you want to get one cheap and do mod build from scratch
if not just go jdm but keep an eye out for a cheap one on here, ebay, carsales, surely some stage you will find one for a good price and you will be pleased with it

riojin
7th March 2008, 09:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shinobi @ Mar 7 2008, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498218)</div>
if the JDM is GT APEX it will always be worth more and the mentallity that it's all the same shit is one that is held by bitter ADM owners[/b]
when the hell was the ban lifted off you? and why are you still talking the same shit?

Konakid
7th March 2008, 11:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Mar 6 2008, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=497811)</div>
JDM i currently own both 2 ADM and 1 JDM and would say jus buy a JDM so many small differences that make them better as well as the re sale value is always higher[/b]

True that, so many small differences that make it that bit better, more complete car, everything works, neater etc.

Those who think not are just kidding themselves.

Of course if you just gonna stick an SR in one then buy an ADM.

shinobi
7th March 2008, 12:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (riojin @ Mar 7 2008, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498235)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shinobi @ Mar 7 2008, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498218)
if the JDM is GT APEX it will always be worth more and the mentallity that it's all the same shit is one that is held by bitter ADM owners[/b]
when the hell was the ban lifted off you? and why are you still talking the same shit?
[/b][/quote]
Yo its an opinion
I'm not saying you have to agree with it
it's only from personal experience so don't get mad
i may be wrong

amulday
7th March 2008, 01:44 PM
If the ADM is cheaper and already has the mods I don't see why your choice would be hard.... On the other hand, It's always better (but more expensive) to do the mods yourself so you know they are done right. Seriously though who cares if it's ADM/JDM, Forget about 'neater' and 'more complete car' they are 20 year old cars that you thrash around...All that matters is how it drives. ADM with the right mods > Fairly Stock JDM in this case....

sotiros86
7th March 2008, 02:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amulday @ Mar 7 2008, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498328)</div>
If the ADM is cheaper and already has the mods I don't see why your choice would be hard.... On the other hand, It's always better (but more expensive) to do the mods yourself so you know they are done right. Seriously though who cares if it's ADM/JDM, Forget about 'neater' and 'more complete car' they are 20 year old cars that you thrash around...All that matters is how it drives. ADM with the right mods > Fairly Stock JDM in this case....[/b]

Thats what i was thinking, but the thing is, I'm in yr 12 this year and wont be able to really modify it until the end of the year when i finish school. I really like the ADM one, but owning a JDM one would be awesome. I suppose if i buy the ADM one, i can always buy a JDM later, and swap all of the parts aross.

monkae86
7th March 2008, 03:16 PM
the novelty of "hey look how awesome i am, my car is is from japan lol" will ware off pretty soon, buy the cheeper adm one i rkn

Konakid
7th March 2008, 03:28 PM
There is a lot more to it than just where the car has come from.

JDM models have the 4age from factory, so it looks factory in the bay, nothing is gonna go wrong i.e wiring etc, its all legal.

Most already have LSD's, you get the vented brakes, sunroofs, electric windows, better interior, rear discs, normally better condition T50's etc, etc.

Ohh and the stigma of owning a car that has been thrashed in the hills in japan :P

obviously if the ADM is cheap as, go for it, just don't get ripped off.

4door
7th March 2008, 03:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonaKid @ Mar 7 2008, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498394)</div>
There is a lot more to it than just where the car has come from.

JDM models have the 4age from factory, so it looks factory in the bay, nothing is gonna go wrong i.e wiring etc, its all legal.

Most already have LSD's, you get the vented brakes, sunroofs, electric windows, better interior, rear discs, normally better condition T50's etc, etc.[/b]

well said, the better car from the factory always wins for reliablity.

rich_86
7th March 2008, 04:35 PM
heres the point of the whole thing i jus realised look into the laws in nsw regarding p plate which i assume you are on the only hachis you can buy are an ADM with a 4AC or a JDM with a 4AGE as the laws should state that no modifications that require an engineers approval are allowed and engine conversion definetly needs a mod plate...thus those are your options...so if you get the ADM converted and get pulled over chance that you will no longer be able to drive the car if the officer is smart enough...where as JDM they can't do anything as it is factory 4AGE...and as for the small differences within the 2 cars it is all the small things which make it a much more complete car....

for starter the interior especially the factory seat much better then ADM ones, the rear seats and side trims are also different, JDM cluster that looks much better, the adjustment on the windscreen intermittent setting, the clutch fork is on the other side away for the exhaust system, baffled fuel tank, bigger brakes, lighter doors, decent rear lights, i also believe the seat rail are lower in JDM's (feels like it) disc brake rear end if you get the GT APEX, LSD is normaly fitted, the heat sheilding for the exhaust is in the right place, not to mention an intank fuel pump setup that works for a 4AGE there are more but basically the car is made for the 4AGE not the 4AC and is designed to work with it and you will never have wiring issues from someone idea of how to wire up a car in the backyard (anyone who has that this will agree its a total fuck around if its not done right)...i own both ADM and JDM and i can't tell you which is better...hands down JDM i thought ADM was good and fine until i owned JDM and then you can see that they are worth what you pay for....last point look into that law before anythin else and you might find JDM is ur only option...unless you like 4AC power that is

sotiros86
7th March 2008, 06:42 PM
Yeah i was looking into that whole law thing a few months ago. Ive spoken to a mate of mine who is on his P's and has done a 4AGE conversion, and said that he has never had any problems with cops, and his isnt mod plated/engineered (a bit dodgy i know, but a poll that i did ages ago showed that like 60% of people on here havent engineered there conversion). I know that the JDM one is a 'better' car, but i don't know if i can be bothered to pay all of that extra money for it, but i know in the long run, a proper JDM Trueno will hold its value better than an ADM with a Trueno front end conversion. Another problem is that i would hate to have an accident and ruin a beatiful, authentic JDM trueno.

I might try and see if i can convince my uncle to buy my car that I'm selling for a few hundred bucks more than i had originally planned to help to fund the extra cost for the JDM one

Also, does anyone know of any importers in sydney who have reasonably priced JDM AE86's, cause i might try ringing a few tomorrow.

ae86hachiroku
7th March 2008, 07:18 PM
It might seem like high costs at first, but you'll spend that much on an ADM to get it like a JDM anyway. Don't fuck yourself over.

dr1ft-pig
7th March 2008, 07:28 PM
there isnt that much difference, sure u have to mod an ADM to make it as good as JDM, but still

my car is ADM, has a JDM rear end, JDM driver seat, has brake upgrade and most of the shit thats been mentioned here (exept for LSD) and it feels good to drive, not as good as it could be but yeah theres always room for improvement

i think its just the whole, "my car comes from japan" thing

the shell is the same and yeah they come stock with a 4age.... who cares???? bigports arent much fun at all without serious suspension mods or engine mods at that (thats based off the JDM 16v i had)

thats my 2 cents anyway

back on topic, go the ADM mate

more mods

riojin
7th March 2008, 07:35 PM
depends on how crazy youre going to mod it. if youre going to go F series diff, W series gearbox and sc or turbo engine then it wouldn't matter running gear wise. the only reason i would go jdm over adm would be if it were a gt series and had the luxury interior they came with.

a sr jdm interior is about as bad as a adm

sotiros86
7th March 2008, 10:49 PM
It wont be modded insanely, it will be a daily driver as well, which will hopefully see some track time. If i was going to extensively modify it, like custom everything, then i would probabibly just butcher an ADM. Both of the cars come with LSD's and coilovers, which should allow me to have a bit of fun at track days.

The problem is, is that if i buy the JDM one, my bank balance will be looking very low, but the ADM one will leave me with some change in my pocket, which always comes in handy.

riojin
7th March 2008, 10:59 PM
yes change in the back does come in handy. make it so you don't have to sell your car when you get a massive fine

anastasios
7th March 2008, 11:06 PM
ii think you should buy the jdm one, so you can show all your lil year 12 mates your intial d car and actually know its from japan, you still can circuit it if you want, but if you said you don't have time to mod it then how will you find time to circuit it? go jdm and you will have a better daily and attract less attention depending on the boganess of the adm

sotiros86
7th March 2008, 11:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (anastasios @ Mar 7 2008, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498680)</div>
ii think you should buy the jdm one, so you can show all your lil year 12 mates your intial d car and actually know its from japan, you still can circuit it if you want, but if you said you don't have time to mod it then how will you find time to circuit it? go jdm and you will have a better daily and attract less attention depending on the boganess of the adm[/b]

The ADM is clean as - very unbogan. As for the intitial d thing, all of my mates think i am a fuckin dick for wanting to sell my prelude, cause they think that its an awesome car, and they no shit all about cars.

I will be able to do light mods to it throughout the year, but for this year, school comes first, so it will probibly only see like 2 or 3 track days anyways.

Cheers for the input though.

rich_86
8th March 2008, 01:04 AM
i guess to get the correct opinon you have to ask people have have owned both to find the real answer here but as a daily jdm all the way....before i owned a jdm i would have said jus buy an adm wats the diff you only realise once you can compare both...for track i would say jdm is more suited baffled tank and what not and if you do crash ur car jdm will definitely get you more money back...but in the end its ur money and its ur decision...

shinobi
8th March 2008, 03:46 AM
yeah also owned two ADM and now own two JDM's once you go GT-APEX you wont go back TRUST ME and some people actually restore these cars and not just drift pig them into the ground. I love my Flawless Black super retro GT-APEX interior call me crazy but i think its one of the nicest looking cars ever built, it full captures the 1980's style. Ive had heaps of other fly rides but nothings turned heads like my 86. But I only paid 6k for mine so your in a different boat. Instead of asking WHAT ask yourself WHY and you'll find your answer.

rich_86
8th March 2008, 10:14 AM
^^^ so fkning true but the gt apex's....its like aus got the leftovers and seconds wen it came to 86's....its a fact a car built for the japan domestic market will always be a hell of alot better then one made for the aus market...sad but true

shinobi
8th March 2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah the aus spec is left like an Ae86 shell with ae85 sr5 spec everything and left over zenki trueno tail lights
most Aus spec owners don't realise that the car isnt even a SPRINTER
on the back of my 86 the sticker reads
APEX twincam16 toyota corolla LEVIN
and on my mates trueno it reads
APEX twincam16 toyota sprinter TRUENO

so levins which what basically the aus spec are really a corolla and sprinter is title reserved for the trueno varient cars.

Todd
8th March 2008, 07:40 PM
haha what?!

Roku_70
10th March 2008, 05:14 PM
totally your choice... if you have the opportunity, drive both cars and buy the best for your driving style :greenbounce:

Javal
10th March 2008, 05:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich_86 @ Mar 7 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498436)</div>
heres the point of the whole thing i jus realised look into the laws in nsw regarding p plate which i assume you are on the only hachis you can buy are an ADM with a 4AC or a JDM with a 4AGE as the laws should state that no modifications that require an engineers approval are allowed and engine conversion definetly needs a mod plate...thus those are your options...so if you get the ADM converted and get pulled over chance that you will no longer be able to drive the car if the officer is smart enough...where as JDM they can't do anything as it is factory 4AGE...and as for the small differences within the 2 cars it is all the small things which make it a much more complete car....

for starter the interior especially the factory seat much better then ADM ones, the rear seats and side trims are also different, JDM cluster that looks much better, the adjustment on the windscreen intermittent setting, the clutch fork is on the other side away for the exhaust system, baffled fuel tank, bigger brakes, lighter doors, decent rear lights, i also believe the seat rail are lower in JDM's (feels like it) disc brake rear end if you get the GT APEX, LSD is normaly fitted, the heat sheilding for the exhaust is in the right place, not to mention an intank fuel pump setup that works for a 4AGE there are more but basically the car is made for the 4AGE not the 4AC and is designed to work with it and you will never have wiring issues from someone idea of how to wire up a car in the backyard (anyone who has that this will agree its a total fuck around if its not done right)...i own both ADM and JDM and i can't tell you which is better...hands down JDM i thought ADM was good and fine until i owned JDM and then you can see that they are worth what you pay for....last point look into that law before anythin else and you might find JDM is ur only option...unless you like 4AC power that is[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotiros86 @ Mar 7 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498519)</div>
Yeah i was looking into that whole law thing a few months ago. Ive spoken to a mate of mine who is on his P's and has done a 4AGE conversion, and said that he has never had any problems with cops, and his isnt mod plated/engineered (a bit dodgy i know, but a poll that i did ages ago showed that like 60% of people on here havent engineered there conversion). I know that the JDM one is a 'better' car, but i don't know if i can be bothered to pay all of that extra money for it, but i know in the long run, a proper JDM Trueno will hold its value better than an ADM with a Trueno front end conversion. Another problem is that i would hate to have an accident and ruin a beatiful, authentic JDM trueno.

I might try and see if i can convince my uncle to buy my car that I'm selling for a few hundred bucks more than i had originally planned to help to fund the extra cost for the JDM one

Also, does anyone know of any importers in sydney who have reasonably priced JDM AE86's, cause i might try ringing a few tomorrow.[/b]

You should both have a read of this...

Clicky click, good read. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paragraph)

sotiros86
11th March 2008, 09:23 AM
:lol: real funny.

Anyways, I'm thinking that i will probibly go for the JDM one, i am going up this weekeend to test drive both of them, and will hopefully come back with a new car

rich_86
11th March 2008, 07:56 PM
ha ha its a forums spelling is needed not grammar I'm not writting a novel....lol..

li21
29th March 2008, 06:07 PM
Ive been tempted a few times to dump my slighly modded ADM and go JDM.. but ive kinda grown attached to my ADM .. plus alot have told me they get more satisfaction building their own car..
I found it very hard to find a JDM that was anywhere as clean as my ADM.. not to say there arent any clean JDMs.. there are plenty of rust free clean JDMs I'm sure.. but there will be plenty of people after them.
Plus all JDMs I've seen are all around 12k .. I don't know where anyone is seeing 9k JDMs?

rich_86
29th March 2008, 07:12 PM
5k medium modded (coilovers, cams, 2way, trd exhuast, trd clutch, te37's n ssr meshies full genuine BN bodykit and a fair bit else) JDM trueno....hey bit of rust but its straight and 5k what else can you ask for???

DAMO46
29th March 2008, 07:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotiros86 @ Mar 7 2008, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=498362)</div>
I suppose if i buy the ADM one, i can always buy a JDM later, and swap all of the parts aross.[/b]

dude honestly theres a difference in thinking and doing, lets say u get the adm your not goin to swap parts over.
you wont buy a jdm after a adm and u cbf later on cause wheres all the stock gear that has to go on the adm that you put on your jdm.
get the jdm i say.