PDA

View Full Version : buff and polish

shakes
14th March 2008, 03:35 PM
I've got absolutely no idea where to start when It come's to restoring old paint. The silver on my ae71 is fairly tired to say the least but from a distance in low light if you squint she's damn neat :2thumbs:

Can anyone suggest the product and method's used to clean her up with a quick rubdown and a polish. too lazy and cheap to go as far as a respray but don't mind spending half a day with a couple of cutting compounds or similar to try make her look just a lil nicer.

Cheers

Simon

biggo
14th March 2008, 03:45 PM
i used re-po extra creame cut polish (red tin)

i dunno but i think it needs something on top or under to make it really really shine, but meh it works. Its wax too.

Nikkojoe
14th March 2008, 09:13 PM
+1 for repo extra cut and polish (red tin)

Cheap and also cleans grease off your engine bay hahaha

Sidey
14th March 2008, 10:11 PM
I just did the very same thing you are doing.
i restored the paintwork by hand over 3 days. hard work but rewarding to see at the end.
i used meguires paint cleaner to very gently cut (95% of job), then meguires wetlook to polish (5% of job).
came up a treat, but u gotta be prepared to put a lot of hours in if u gonna do it properly ;)
i have abuffer but to "clean" the paint u can't beat manual elbow grease.

biggo
15th March 2008, 11:59 AM
hmm where do i buy some of this 'elbow grease'?

sounds like just the tick

:P

Sidey
16th March 2008, 11:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggo @ Mar 15 2008, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=502336)</div>
hmm where do i buy some of this 'elbow grease'?

sounds like just the tick

-----------------
elbow grease = hard work with your own hands (if you werent making a joke there)

just get a reputable brand - what u buy really depends on the state of the paintwork

:P[/b]