PDA

View Full Version : so i snapped a bolt...

johl
17th March 2008, 03:00 PM
last little issue to fix before i hit the track on thursday. i am fixing my handbrake so it locks up and i have sourced those little metal tabs that lock in the handbrake line near the tailshaft. but while taking out the bolt that was in there with no meatl clip it snapped off. its got a little thread still exposed on the inside of the hole but its flush on the outside. i was going to drill it out or just drill another hole beside it but its on the exhaust side and i can't get my drill in there.
so any ideas? any dodgy fixes or random bits i can wled in to hold the line in place?

ps. there is not enough thread exposed on the inside to lock in the line as when i rip the hand brake hard it just pulls the line out....

dr1ft-pig
17th March 2008, 03:33 PM
get yourself an "easy out"

you will need to get your drill in there to use this method

the "easy out" will contain 1 small drillbit and 1 left hand threaded screw that goes in your drill

the rest explains itself, drill the hole, use the left hand thread to undo the bolt

if you do this DO IT SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY OR YOU WILL BREAK THE EASY OUT!!!

hope i helped

gumbie
17th March 2008, 11:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dr1ft-pig @ Mar 17 2008, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=503308)</div>
get yourself an "easy out"

you will need to get your drill in there to use this method

the "easy out" will contain 1 small drillbit and 1 left hand threaded screw that goes in your drill

the rest explains itself, drill the hole, use the left hand thread to undo the bolt

if you do this DO IT SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY OR YOU WILL BREAK THE EASY OUT!!!

hope i helped[/b]

What he said. Just make sure you don't break the easy out, they are an absolute bastard to drill out (harder than most drill bits)

biggo
18th March 2008, 09:58 AM
kingchrome make 'kwikouts' for $30

ive never used em, but from what i understand you drill a hole in the bolt, hammer the bit in and unwind as usuall

Clinton
18th March 2008, 10:05 AM
or if your a poor bastard get a hammer and a nail punch, and tap the nail punch around and around on the stud so it spins each time you hit it. it will come out like that. sorry I'm a bad explainer. maybe someone could elaborate on my idea?

biggo
18th March 2008, 10:29 AM
hack saw and screwdriver/hammer combo??

slit the bolt and use the flatblade as an impact driver whilst turning

Clinton
18th March 2008, 10:51 AM
yeah thats what i ment

johl
18th March 2008, 03:07 PM
tried all them^^^ even got that easy out but snapped it. so what i did was made a horizontal cut on the surface of the tab so that i could bend the tab with a hammer and then made a vertical cut at the front of the tab and bent it in so when the hand brake is pulled there is no way it can pull forward as it is now a cone shape... ghetto ftmfw

cuzzo
18th March 2008, 04:59 PM
If only i saw this earlier!!

don't use easy-outs!!! I used two in the exact same spot. Fucking thing broke off flush. Now its undrillable because they are like made from cryptonite!

johl
19th March 2008, 02:08 AM
do what i did^^^^ relief cuts and stop..... hammer time...