PDA

View Full Version : non ps steering rack rebuild

SNAP
20th March 2008, 11:10 AM
just want to know if u can get a rebuld kit for an 86 non ps steering rack. or what it costs to get one rebuilt

cheerrs

MAT713
20th March 2008, 11:14 AM
where are you based?

SNAP
20th March 2008, 11:48 AM
sydney man

RobertoX
20th March 2008, 12:07 PM
i can do it if you send your rack to me, or i can send you all the bits

SNAP
20th March 2008, 12:18 PM
whats the kit worth n how much will it set me back?

Hen is a total nutcase
20th March 2008, 12:21 PM
I was quoted around $250 by some joint I walked into.

Decided to do it myself. Just pulled it apart, regreased it and adjusted it. There is more to a proper rebuild than that (replacing end bushes and linishing the rack for example) but it did for me.

Hen

RobertoX
20th March 2008, 12:34 PM
depends what you want

but

inner rack bush, rack boots, rack ends, tie rod ends, etc

SNAP
20th March 2008, 02:44 PM
pretty much all of the above

inner rack bush, rack boots, rack ends

what are they worth?

chapl
20th March 2008, 04:17 PM
whats a brand new rack worth??

SNAP
20th March 2008, 11:00 PM
cam u even buy new racks? i doubt toyota would stock them anymore, i'll try on tuesday and let u know what i find

Ru-iki
23rd March 2008, 10:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SNAP @ Mar 20 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=505182)</div>
cam u even buy new racks? i doubt toyota would stock them anymore, i'll try on tuesday and let u know what i find[/b]

I have asked Toyota about a new rack. None available as far as they could tell me.

I ordered mine from Palmside in New Zealand (http://www.palmside.co.nz), a day after I read on this site that AJPS claimed to have 'the last one in the southern Hemisphere'. I got onto Palmside through Quaife in the UK, as Palmside is the southern hemisphere distributor according to Quaife.

(Yes, I'm now awaiting attempted victimization by AJPS crew****)

Not trying to get all political, but BS is BS.

It cost me 310 Australian to have it delivered, and I paid with credit card so it arrived in less than 3 days.

I had a mechanic rebuild it into an ae71 rack and it fitted fine and works wonderfully well. I personally see the steering system as something which isn't worth taking risks with, so thats why I had the mechanic do it. I also invested in new boots, and I had some really nice rack ends and tie rods already.

Hope this helps you all.

choom78
27th March 2008, 11:16 PM
Depends on what needs to be replaced and if you going with oem parts or aftermarket. Parts alone for a full rebuilt will be at least $200

What you will need (off top of my head)
* grease
* oil seal (top)
* oil seal (side)
* 2 steering bushes
* rack ends (come with crush washers)
* tie rods
* clips (zip ties can do as well)
* 2 boots

IMO the only thing that really needs to be replaced are just the boots. I would just check for play on all other parts. If there is no play and your steering has no slack then just replace the boots. You can also check preload setting if you do have some steering slack. If you can determine if u need a rebuild or not, u prob good enuf to rebuild the rack yourself. Isn't hard. You do need some bigger tools though.

Vezza
29th March 2008, 09:51 AM
My sprinter rack was totally buggered, could hardly turn left... BUT, went to the wreckers for a visit and after snooping through all their old Toyota's, I found that the old school corolla's used exactly the same rack, set me back about 20 bux. If your rack in fine though, you may as well keep it and just rebuild rack ends and what not.

Oly AE86
30th March 2008, 11:08 AM
My standard rack was also buggered, I ordered a Quaife Rack from Palmside ($370NZ), and rebuilt it myself.

Was quoted $350 for an exchange reconditioned rack from suspension people(TBS Auto, Capalaba), but wanted to give it a crack myself.

Parts I bought were:

Genuine Toyota

Inner Rack Bush - 45522-10021 x1 $51.60
Crush Washer - 90214 - 14002 x2 $1.90
Pinion Bearing - 90363 - 15003 x1 $45.00 - Only got top bearing, but took 5 Weeks from Japan :(

Tie Rod Ends - $20 Each from Coventry
Generic Rack Boots $10 Each from Repco

Used cable ties on the boots, Rack ends were in good condition. Also sandblasted everything before re-assembling. Used the AE86 Workshop Manual for what to do.

Personally, I would just buy an exchange rack next time. The hassle of waiting for Toyota to get parts in dragged out the process, and I could have had a new rack 6 Months ago. But I wanted the Quaife Rack installed so I did it myself.

Oly

Ru-iki
30th March 2008, 11:40 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oly AE86 @ Mar 30 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=510015)</div>
Genuine Toyota

Pinion Bearing - 90363 - 15003 x1 $45.00 - Only got top bearing, but took 5 Weeks from Japan :(

Personally, I would just buy an exchange rack next time. The hassle of waiting for Toyota to get parts in dragged out the process, and I could have had a new rack 6 Months ago. But I wanted the Quaife Rack installed so I did it myself.

Oly[/b]

Damn Toyota, I went Allied Bearings and seals and scored a pinion bearing overnight from Sydney for 26 dollars including a freight charge of 12 dollars, and it was a Japanese made one!

Quaife is the way to go!

choom78
30th March 2008, 12:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ru-iki @ Mar 30 2008, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=510027)</div>
Damn Toyota, I went Allied Bearings and seals and scored a pinion bearing overnight from Sydney for 26 dollars including a freight charge of 12 dollars, and it was a Japanese made one!

Quaife is the way to go![/b]

Thats very good, as the pinion bearings are not generic items. They are custom made and ordered in large quantities by toyota. If you can, could you post the NSK part number for future reference?

Javal
30th March 2008, 12:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vezza @ Mar 29 2008, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=509652)</div>
My sprinter rack was totally buggered, could hardly turn left... BUT, went to the wreckers for a visit and after snooping through all their old Toyota's, I found that the old school corolla's used exactly the same rack, set me back about 20 bux. If your rack in fine though, you may as well keep it and just rebuild rack ends and what not.[/b]

Not at all true.

The sprinter rack has an extra tooth on it, and as such has more lock than one in the KE70 / AE71. But xE7x ones will bolt in, yes.

Vezza
30th March 2008, 02:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Javal @ Mar 30 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=510051)</div>
Not at all true.

The sprinter rack has an extra tooth on it, and as such has more lock than one in the KE70 / AE71. But xE7x ones will bolt in, yes.[/b]
Wouldn't that make it... half true? :P

Anyhoo, unless you're drifting I guess lock wouldn't be to big an issue. However, is it possible to compensate for the loss in extra lock via spacers?

Javal
30th March 2008, 02:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vezza @ Mar 30 2008, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=510099)</div>
Wouldn't that make it... half true? :P

Anyhoo, unless you're drifting I guess lock wouldn't be to big an issue. However, is it possible to compensate for the loss in extra lock via spacers?[/b]

lolol, half true it is :lol:

yes you can make up for it with a lock spacer and / or P/S arms, however if you had an AE86 rack you could have more lock again.

Vezza
31st March 2008, 10:46 AM
hehe true that

RobertoX
1st April 2008, 05:27 PM
Hi mate, i ordered bulk stock a long time ago when

the exchange rate was worse etc etc

the ones i bought were the only ones in the southern hemisphere at that time, my statement however may of been out of date at that time of my quote

cheers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ru-iki @ Mar 23 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=506201)</div>
I have asked Toyota about a new rack. None available as far as they could tell me.

I ordered mine from Palmside in New Zealand (http://www.palmside.co.nz), a day after I read on this site that AJPS claimed to have 'the last one in the southern Hemisphere'. I got onto Palmside through Quaife in the UK, as Palmside is the southern hemisphere distributor according to Quaife.

(Yes, I'm now awaiting attempted victimization by AJPS crew****)

Not trying to get all political, but BS is BS.

It cost me 310 Australian to have it delivered, and I paid with credit card so it arrived in less than 3 days.

I had a mechanic rebuild it into an ae71 rack and it fitted fine and works wonderfully well. I personally see the steering system as something which isn't worth taking risks with, so thats why I had the mechanic do it. I also invested in new boots, and I had some really nice rack ends and tie rods already.

Hope this helps you all.[/b]

i bought stock

Konakid
2nd April 2008, 11:59 PM
So brand new racks are available from Quaife? Non Quick racks? Or just the rebuild kits?

RobertoX
3rd April 2008, 12:44 PM
new quick racks are available from palmside

toyota gen racks are available but are top dollar

SNAP
3rd April 2008, 09:04 PM
apparently the "quick rack" is less turns lock to lock but the quick rack has less lock than a normal rack.

Oly AE86
5th April 2008, 11:58 PM
That is correct.

STD Rack = 3.3 Turns lock to lock, with good overall lock using PS Arms and Rack Spacer

Quaife Quick Rack = 2.5 Turns lock to lock, heavier steering but less overall lock than STD Rack. Can be modified for a little more lock by machining extra teeth into the rack.